**** Official Xbox One Launch Thread ****

87,385 Views | 1057 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by mjpfeffer98
EarlyAg07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, been sitting on the sideline on this one so far but with some big sequels coming up (AC:Unity, Halo: MC Collection, Advanced Warfare) that I've played a ton of, I've been thinking of getting a bundle. I'm currently between the AC bundle w/o kinect or the Advanced Warfare bundle. My question is this: I'm not huge on the AW console design (nor is the wife) but 1T HD seems like it might be necessary. I've casually kept up on the XB1 and see more and more of installs requiring 50GB and such. Is a 1T HD built in necessary/helpful? Is using an external HD easy with the XB1?
Kampfers
AG
quote:
So, been sitting on the sideline on this one so far but with some big sequels coming up (AC:Unity, Halo: MC Collection, Advanced Warfare) that I've played a ton of, I've been thinking of getting a bundle. I'm currently between the AC bundle w/o kinect or the Advanced Warfare bundle. My question is this: I'm not huge on the AW console design (nor is the wife) but 1T HD seems like it might be necessary. I've casually kept up on the XB1 and see more and more of installs requiring 50GB and such. Is a 1T HD built in necessary/helpful? Is using an external HD easy with the XB1?
I've maxed out my hard drive. However, it's quite easy to look at the list of games I have and delete the ones I no longer play. I can always reinstall them at a later date, or even attach an external hard drive if I so desired.

In the end, I wouldn't let hard drive space make the decision.

Did you play AC: Black Flag? Because the AC bundle comes with both Black Flag and AC: Unity iirc, which adds a bit more value to the package.

And of course there is also the sunset overdrive bundle that comes with a white console, if that's your thing.
EarlyAg07
AG
Thanks for the info. Been reading on the external drive situation, so I'll probably go that route rather than the 1TB built in.

One last question on the kinect to those that have and use it. Is it worth it? On the 360 it wasn't and I hardly ever used it (once) but all the hype with the XB1 was that kinect 2.0 was supposed to do so much more. Worth it or no?
k20dub
AG
The only thing I use the kinect for is voice recognition. Love being able to turn it on/off, volume up and down, and change the channel with the sound of my voice. I know it sounds small but it is nice and impresses family and friends.
jr15aggie
AG
The kinect is really nice, it just got caught up in all the bad PR surrounding the XB1 early on. I've said many times that the voice commands are a game changer and that in the future they just need to release a simple mic with the consoles. The camera is mostly worthless... The only cool thing is it recognizes me and signs into my profile automatically.

Overall the XB1 is a really great console and I say it has the best controller ever made.
jeffk
AG
The digital TV tuner launches today in the UK. Looks like a great little feature for people like myself who only have OTA TV services but want to utilize the XB1's dvr and guide functionality.

http://news.yahoo.com/xbox-one-digital-tv-tuner-090900320.html

Is this the best way to get my OTA TV on the XB1? If so, is there any way to buy one of these tuners stateside?
OldArmy07
AG
XB1 doesn't have DVR functionality, btw.

If you were able to get the OTA tuner to work in the US (still unconfirmed, from what I've seen) at best it would give you the ability to control the xb1 guide via kinect.

I looked into adding a HomeWorx HW150PVR to my setup, but didn't want to hassle with it when I'll probably be subbing to cable/sat again shortly. I believe it can be rigged up to work with the XB1, and would give you DVR functionality.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I phrased that wrongly - the DVR-like capabilities of pausing and rewinding live TV are what I was referencing.

Hopefully someone here in the US will buy one of these and try it out to see if it'd work.
mjpfeffer98
AG
Add me to the list of owners, I picked up one of the MS Store deals last weekend, got the newest Halo anthology free with it.

Gamertag: mpfef98

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.