Phone Cloning: Is it real?

10,926 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by Walter Kovacs
Squadron7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've seen phones cloned/paired on about a hundred TV shows now. Is it really possible to do that?
TexAg_Kyle
AG
Well on Person of Interest I'm pretty sure they use Bluetooth to load an application on the phone. So if you can have the skills to hack a phone via Bluetooth. I don't see why not.
AgDev01
AG
For GSM you would just need to clone the SIM card.
TexasRebel
AG
I'm not sure both phones would ring like they do in the movies. I think both phones would fight for their presence at the cell tower. Whichever phone checks in last will get the calls, and outgoing calls would not be picked up by the other device.
benMath08
AG
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_cloning
Lots of "citation needed" but it seems like you need physical access to the phone and some advanced equipment. It seems theoretically possible, but I bet if it were easy you'd hear about it on the news a lot.

That is, unless the only people cloning phones are the government /tinfoilhat
TexicanHippy
AG
It was much much more common back on the old AMPS system. I had a step-uncle (RIP) who did it once, he was a bit of a tinkerer / hacker before everyone had a computer, if I remember right you could seriously steal the ID number off the airwaves and program it until a new phone, it was that easy.
Walter Kovacs
AG
if you were close enough and knew the type of carrier, you wouldn't even have to clone. at one of the hacker conferences a while back someone showed off a homebrew spoofed cell tower (it cost maybe a grand if i remember). it essentially pulled in all cell traffic within a certain area.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.