Kerbal Space Program...

30,395 Views | 234 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by gomerschlep
Malachi Constant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The main thing Mechjeb helps me with are transfer windows. It's not fun at all to try to guess when you're supposed to launch based on Jool's location in it's orbit.

I always get my rockets into orbit on my own before I use ascent guidance, but I do admit that I pretty much allow mechjeb to make all my maneuver nodes so I don't waste that precious Delta-V.
Ag_of_08
AG
it depends on what I'm doing.

Playing sandbox, doing 17 launches, rendezvous, and dockings to build a Huge station that ended up have a 4x5m tank fuel depot, and required mostly spacey 7.5m sustainers with boosters on them? Yeah I used a lot of mechjeb!

Transferring out to another planet with a probe that barely has any control, much less RCS in the early parts of my career playthroughs? Smart A.S.S. sure makes life easier....

I've done rendevous, landing, and interplanetary transfer by hand, but jeez it gets boring after a bit.
Ag_of_08
AG
So I made my first launches in 1.1 this morning.....oh lord the performance upgrades.

Y'all may not care for them, but here's the ring station I VERY gingerly lobbed into orbit. Mods(among others) include the hermes space craft, and the Spacey/extended pack. Sustainer is a 7.5m , boosters are 5m, and the Service module was 7.5m. Placed in a 200km orbit.

This launch is hard by hand, and required an overbuilt monster of a rocket to do it built(the assembly time on this in space would be a pain, the parts require some fiddling with). My best reccomendation for something like this is to overbuild, and use mechjeb to hold a low velocity and a vertical launch until 40km or so, then lay the hammer to it. TWR at the surface was ~ 3.4 I think, but I only ran the engines at 60% throttle until 40km. about 9500dV total, which was overkill for this launch, but will not be when rendezvousing with the much bigger modules.

Malachi Constant
AG
That belongs on /r/kerbalspaceprogram
Ag_of_08
AG
I dunno that it's gonna be good enough in the end for that lol. I don't post on reddit, they make me feel like I need my plate armor and the big sword haha! I'm adding a second ring tonight, I've already put modules on it. I'm dumbfounded how much better the game runs
titanmaster_race
That is awesome!
Ag_of_08
AG
Thanks.

The mod is in ckan btw, under Hermes space craft ( it's the whole ship form The Martian). The ring I'd a paint in the effing ass to build, so if y'all want the craft file for what I did here ( it's the ring + the power node, a probe core, and a 3.5m docking port on one side for unmanned, and an expansion port on the other for more Hermes and station parts ), I'd be glad to post it. You'll need hermes, and the two spacey lifters packs. Kerbal joint reinforcement is almost mandatory as well.
Bregxit
AG
Glad to hear the performance improvement. I still haven't had a chance to try it out. Nice looking station!
Ag_of_08
AG
I've added two more modules yo it since thisenpics, and have 0 lag. We'll see what happens when I get the docking for the second ring right( rcs to move that ******* is proving umm...interesting. I freaked mechjeb out earlier!). Now I just need the Taurus hcv mod working for an orbital vehicle.
Ag_of_08
AG

Some more progress. Will be launching more solar panels and a new science and crew lab module.
Bregxit
AG
Looking good! I messed around for a few minutes last night and jumped between 32 and 64 bit. Performance was way better in the map screen. Didn't notice too big of a jump outside the map screen. The navball is fuggin huge now though! Is it adjustable at all now? I couldn't find anything about it.
Ag_of_08
AG
I noticed that to, Haven't really gotten into setting. I am getting crashes which is driving me CRAZY!. just completely lost a craft file I was working on
Ag_of_08
AG
Ok nevermind, Go into setting and turn UI scale to 80% and it's prefect.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
Ok nevermind, Go into setting and turn UI scale to 80% and it's prefect.

Cool. Will try that later.
Ag_of_08
AG

Last couple. I screwed up on the end with the panels, just decided to dump a bunch and go.

It's not done, I'll be adding on this week. Will try not to clutter the thread up to much, just thought people might be interested I'm a bit of a mod ***** LOL
Ag_of_08
AG
KJR is live as of this morning, thank goodness! I had it working when the station was built, then it updated and disabled!

Unfortunately I'm about to have to do a clean install of the game, and will have to rebuild my station plan!
Ag_of_08
AG
Anyone still playing?

A cloudy Apollo lander style launch from KSP for a mun mission(the lander is in the tapered section, it's a cargo bay.)

Ag_of_08
AG
Anyone still active?

Couple from the soviet-esque science campaign I'm working on.

Maximus_Meridius
AG
Sort of. I jack around with it when I have time, though buying a house has eliminated most of that. Didn't they just drop 1.2?
Ag_of_08
AG
It's in pre release. They basically integrated z simplified version of remotetech, and hyperrdit, into the game.
wee_ag
AG
Continuing to play this on and off. Curious if anyone has come across a mod that makes a confirmation pop-up when a contract is declined (which makes it disappear forever). The giant red X is too enticing and I've hit it several times thinking I'm closing the window.
AtlAg05
AG
Nice bump, wow there is a lot to learn. I'm still trying to get my vectors straight! Or was it the apoasis?
tk for tu juan
Finally downloaded this on Xbox. Went thru a few of the tutorials and then entered story mode. Already killed two pilots and I'm almost out of money trying to complete a contract mission for the TR-18 decoupler. Is everything below the coupler always a total loss, or can chutes be used to help recover them after separation? Tried to use chutes once, but once the separation stage was activated I had no control over those chutes.
jnathan10
AG
Unless you have a probe core on the lower section, it's a lost cause once separated. You'd have to have the parachutes on the same stages as the separator.
tk for tu juan
Nope, just have the cheapest, dumbest parts and a shoe string budget right now. Probably a good time to switch to sandbox mode
gomerschlep
AG
Not sure why, but I could never master orbital rendezvous. Kind of made the whole thing stall out for me, even thoughI loved the game. Anybody have the same problem?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.