Nintendo DS vs. Android Tablet

9,768 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by c-jags
bigboykin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for something to bury my four year old's nose in during car trips.

He's had the v-tech products for a couple years, but I think he's ready for something a little more advanced with better game selection.

He loves my mom's ipad, but I'm not giving a toddler a $500 piece of tech. So I'm considering a cheapo Android tab. I like the idea of free games and streaming through wifi tether.

I've never owned a handheld (haven't even touched one since the original Gameboy ca. 1990), but I see lots of well-behaved kids in restaurants fixated on a DS. What are the pros/cons of these other than the fact that I'd have to buy games?

Any advice/input greatly appreciated.
Barry Kripke
AG
$199 too much? Get yourself a Nexus 7, and let your kid play with it on long trips. Not only is there a huge selection of kid friendly games, but also engaging educational software that should keep him enthralled for long periods of time.
bigboykin
AG
Yeah, I probably should've said that I'm counting on him trashing it, so I'm looking at getting either off ebay in the $50-75 range.

If I was going to spend $199, I'd get myself the N7 and give him my ICS Nook color. Which actually sounds like a great idea to me, but my wife would beat me mercilessly.
Bunkhouse96
AG
In that price range stay away from android. 1saleaday.com has the acer iconia 7" tab today for $130, you cannot get a decent tablet much cheaper than that. The cheap (<$100) android tabs are worthless, and you son will never use it.
TxAggieMichael
AG
quote:
In that price range stay away from android. 1saleaday.com has the acer iconia 7" tab today for $130, you cannot get a decent tablet much cheaper than that. The cheap (<$100) android tabs are worthless, and you son will never use it.
TxAggieMichael
AG
quote:
Yeah, I probably should've said that I'm counting on him trashing it, so I'm looking at getting either off ebay in the $50-75 range.

Can you get a DS for under $100 now?
bigboykin
AG
On ebay, I'm seeing used DSlite selling in the $50 range and DSi in the $65-75 range.
bigboykin
AG
Alright, you've got me looking toward DS then. I really didn't want to spend more than $75 or so on this.

For the nominal price difference, I'm thinking DSi is the way to go over DS Lite. Any objections or things I might not be considering?
Pro Ag
AG
I know you said he has the v-tech stuff, but you might want to check the leapster line. Much more entertaining and my 5 year-old wants to play that over her Kindle Fire if she cannot connect to the Internet.

The games are cheaper than DS games and better for a kid.
Predmid
AG
A thought on price: new DS games will be far more expensive than the games you find on a tablet.
jlb2957
AG
Yeah...but as a kid, I would have rather been playing the Legend of Zelda than Angry birds...

I really don't see how people can entertain themselves with these android and Ipad games. If I'm waiting at the doctor's office, then I guess I would play anything. But if I'm given the choice, i would much rather play a better game on a DS.
jlb2957
AG
Regarding the OP: I would personally get a DS. You can get one used on ebay for ~$50 as well as used games for under $20.

Nintendo also has games that aim at all ages. There are also puzzle and educational games to choose from. That choice will also take care of your birthday/christmas gifts dilemma by giving you an easy gift...another game.

EDIT: Also, playing a Nintendo DS will also give him something in common with others his age when he starts kindergarten. As we all know, social interaction is a big thing you learn once starting school and it always helps to have something in common with others. Just my $.02

[This message has been edited by jlb2957 (edited 8/10/2012 3:06p).]
flintdragon
AG
DS all the way. My kids (5 and 9) play my old DS-lite way more now. We have tablets, phones and even the leappad. While they do get used, the plethora of games on the DS far outweighs any touch interface game.
bigboykin
AG
Yeah, y'all have sold me on the DS line. Real games definitely beat the Angry Bird-type tablet games. I presume there's some of those types of simple games for cheap/free in the DSi store anyway?

Bonus, that I'd love to tell the grandparents, et al. to buy him small cartridge games for bdays/holidays instead of the bulky, messy toys that are overtaking my home.

In my Googlings, it seems that the only potential downside of the DSi vs. DS Lite is lack of ability to play Gameboy Advanced games (and price, which is nominal). Anything else to note before I start bidding on these puppies?
c-jags
I'm just going to throw this out there too... you can run an emulator on a tab and play multiple DS,GB,GBA,PS,SNES, and N64 games.

which is awesome.

i'm playing my way through all of the zelda games currently.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.