A&M Steam Tunnels

49,015 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by StringerBell
kbassil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just watched this documentary:

http://gizmodo.com/5881548/this-is-what-its-like-to-explore-the-underbelly-of-your-city?popular=true

and it made me really sad that I never went exploring the campus rooftops or its underground. Has anyone done it?

*Disclaimer: If you HAVE, perhaps it'd be better if you describe the experience as though your friend did it.
Endo Ag
AG
I made it to the roof of the new library complex in 1999/2000. Cool views.
kbassil
AG
I climbed some Emergency/fire stairs to a rooftop near the computer lab... bout crapped my pants when I reached the top to find a security camera staring at me in my face.
el aggie
AG
Been on top of the building between the Chemistry building and the library.

I've also been to the top floor of Zachary (the semi-hidden top floor).
njw92
AG
May have been on the roof of the Bright building several times in the early 90's. It wasn't access protected, so it didn't feel too reckless.
agbq06
AG
*MY FRIEND went with a couple friends that were on traditions council with *HIM one time into the steam tunnels. It's pretty awesome. There's Dust/Dirt sediment on pipes people from the 60's & 70's signed that's still there. A little bit of spray paint on walls. *THEY were down there for 20 min or so, then got spooked by something and booked it back to the surface. Pretty cool if you're into the history.

I was told though they have cameras now, and you can be arrested/expelled(if you're a student) and caught down there. Not sure on the factual basis of that statement, but I know at one point they were cracking down on it.

[This message has been edited by agbq06 (edited 2/2/2012 3:46p).]
DAM
AG
My friend went down there all the time. Easiest access was a closet in Reed under some stairs. Best exit point was next to Hart. You could reach from Sbisa to the Commons no problem. He said he never saw any cameras or sensors. He went down there a few times a year just to explore.

dam
Mucho austin
AG
Top of the MSC a few times. Accessed from the window in the bathroom by Room 201
Hagen95
AG
I knew some friends that entered in the quad between Moses and Moore. Pretty neat stuff.
plug10 AG
AG
Steam tunnels were pretty easy to get into in various places on campus. Did it a few times, I do know a few guys from 05-06 did it and got caught pretty quickly. It hurt one of them pretty badly as far as pursuing a career on the federal level.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I've heard the steam tunnels can be dangerous...any truth to that or are they inactive as far as carrying actual steam?
agbq06
AG
There's a bunch of pipes down there, think more service/maintenance tunnel...

EDIT: Apparently I was misinformed and the pipes I'm talking about DO carry steam still.

[This message has been edited by agbq06 (edited 2/2/2012 7:20p).]
EconAg10
AG
boom!

http://tamutunnels.netii.net/
joshua70448
AG
They most certainly carry steam, that's how a lot of buildings are heated (I know my dorm in Walton had a steam radiator in it). Here's what can happen when one of those steam pipes bursts: http://itforum.tamu.edu/files/IT_Forum_December_14.pdf
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Gotten to go up on top of the pressbox at kyle. That was freaking awesome.
CalAG
AG
I once saw the 1984 hide and seek champion down there. It was 1996.
coconutED
AG
The Meteorology building has several outcroppings on the outside that are large enough and close enough together that someone could press against both sides at the same time and "walk" their way up. In theory, you could go all the way to the top...I decided to cut my losses after about 8 ft.
Pman17
AG
I had a relative who used to work on the steam tunnels at College Station.
jeffk
AG
Secret doors in Evans and Cushing - check.
Front balcony and roof of Admin building - check.

Steam tunnels - sadly not checked.
MSCAg
AG
quote:
The Meteorology building has several outcroppings on the outside that are large enough and close enough together that someone could press against both sides at the same time and "walk" their way up. In theory, you could go all the way to the top...I decided to cut my losses after about 8 ft.
If somebody did that, they'd have some 007 balls and zero brains.
Predmid
AG
I..uhhh...have this friend...

Steam tunnels: check. They're utility corridors. Nothing very exciting. Except for the armory underneath the trigun. that was pretty cool.

Uhh..this other friend used tunnels to sneak into G Rolly and up into the rafters.......

Not really illegal, but underneath that old multi-tiered fountain towards the back of the MSC (with the big stone tablets): it was really neat to go pond hopping underneath the sculpture part.
Krussian09
AG
Went up to the roof of the Richardson building a few times while I was a student worker there. Going up there the day Obama came to campus probably wasn't a smart idea though.

[This message has been edited by LarryTate (edited 2/3/2012 9:53a).]
aneisch
AG
quote:
Secret doors in Evans and Cushing - check.

Do tell.
tamuwx
AG
Been on top of the O&M Building plenty of times. Awesome views.
AggieBarstool
Hmm, there appears to be an entrance somewhere in the complex I'm working in...
Thunder18
AG
quote:
Been on top of the building between the Chemistry building and the library.

Francis Hall?
hatchback
AG
I've been on the roof of Langford A and in the basement and crawl-space of Langford C. I've also been in the steam tunnels leading out/in of Langford.

AggieBarstool
Cool! I've also been on the roof of Langford A and the basement of Langford C. Haven't seen the crawlspace or tunnels though.

I happen to know from experience that at the south end of the tunnel connecting the Medical Sciences Library and the Vet School is a door that leads to a "crawl space" not unlike that last pic. Its just pillars of concrete in dirt, supporting the MSL.

Door was unlocked circa summer 2011.

[This message has been edited by AggieBarstool (edited 2/3/2012 7:58p).]
Aggietaco
AG
Ditto on the langford roof. Used to "study" with the SO up there from time to time.

Never had any desire to explore the steam tunnels.
el aggie
AG
Thunder, I guess that was it. There was an open fire escape ladder in the back of the building, so I went up and had a look around. When I came down, I saw the flashing lights of a police cruiser (apparently someone didn't think I should be up there). I ran over to Evans and hung out for a while watching the officer walk around outside.

No one else has been in the top floor room of Zachry?
OnlyForNow
AG
Roof of bio-bio, kleberg, and heep.

I was an Ag major...
OasisMan
AG
top of msc

there are / were stairs outside back by the fountain closer to Rumors, weren't blocked of at all, so figured no harm no foul
bearamedic99
AG
I remember in the mid-90s a non-reg dorm used to have an initiation tradition or sort of climbing up the stairwell of the southside garage, not on the stairs but inside the gap between the stairs.

Sadly, one guy didn't make it and fatally fell.

Not all these ideas are great and illegal for your protection.
Southplainsag02
AG
I worked at the restaurant at the top of rudder tower. We got on the roof a lot. The best time was when the blue angels were doing a show. You could see them take off from the airport and the show was awesome from up there.
jaypunkrawk
AG
That documentary was pretty cool, but that community is full of some nutbags. But I guess that's no different from any community.

This thread makes me want to get out and explore. I used to walk through storm drains when I was a kid...and did a lot of trespassing.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.