Directv vs Uverse

10,954 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by dln1957
Aggiefan#1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Directv is launching the industries first fully HD user interface.

Much faster, over 16,000 colors in full HD.

ATT Uverse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmYCc0mpvtw&feature=related

Whole Home DVR????

Directv can record 5 shows at once on a single DVR and share throughout the house.

Uverse can record 4 shows at once.

Directv also has a new HDVR that provides PIP and hundreds of hours of recording.

Uverse DVR holds about 80 hours.

HD?

With Directv there is no limit on the amount HD programs viewable in the home at one time.

With Uverse most users are limited to one or two HD programs at once. This is why there are HD and SD channels listed in the guide. There isn't enough bandwidth to allow more than one or two HD programs at once.

Directv also offers a superior HD signal. AT&T's U-Verse is "fiber to the node" (neighborhood) for 99% of customers. From there, VDSL is used to deliver TV and Internet service. U-Verse currently has ~25Mbps available per home, of which 6Mbps is reserved for Internet access. U-Verse compresses its HD channels with MPEG-4 AVC @ 6Mbps ABR, whereas FiOS delivers its channels at full bitrate (up to 19Mbps). Each U-Verse home is currently limited to watching or recording one HD channel at a time.

DirecTV uses MPEG-4 AVC like U-Verse, but they provide superior picture quality because they use higher peaks. Peak bitrates on U-Verse are in the 8Mbps range, whereas peak bitrates on DirecTV are >10Mbps. That makes a big difference when there is movement on the screen.

We are currently offering a special to Texags users that provides them with additional discounts over the website.

Shoot me an email over and I will get you a no sales pitch, informative email back with all of your options and pricing. Apples to apples we are always cheaper and a much better product.

Gig em!!

Brent Harriman
Directv Home Service
(281) 358-0592
(877) 638-3388
brent@dtvhomeservice.com

akaggie05
AG
U-verse allows 4 simultaneous HD streams now. Also, I don't know where that screenshot of the U-verse interface came from but that's not the way it looks now. It's fully 16:9 on an HD display and actually looks almost identical to the DirecTV one up above.

I had DirecTV back in 06-07, and when I called to upgrade to HD they said it would cost me about $400 in service calls and equipment. I told them to take a hike and never looked back. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by akaggie05 (edited 1/4/2012 3:41p).]
MW03
AG
"On Demand" programming?

Also, this is my guide now with UVerse

What kind of internet can I get with directv? I like my UVerse but not impressed with my internet speeds...

[This message has been edited by mw03 (edited 1/4/2012 7:35p).]
double aught
AG
My directv guide is agonizingly slow these days. Other than that, the service is pretty good.
AcoldStArnolds79
AG
Well I consistently get 10-11MBPS with speedtest on my unverse Internet. That's while two or three tvs are on with 2 of those HD and usually three computers going at the same time. I watch two different HD at the same time and can recorded a third. It isn't perfect but I've had satellite and cable and they all have their drawbacks.
SlimM
AG
The new UI is much, much faster. I love it!
BBallAggie06
AG
Just made the switch from UVerse to Directv.

Glad I did.

Better price, more channels, and most importantly, MUCH better picture!
Breggy Popup
AG
My U-Verse internet isn't bad considering I and only paying for 18mbps down.

And great libel with that picture of U-Verse's UI from circa 2006. I bet AT&T would love to see you making false claims about their product so you can sell DTV.

By the way OP, are you a paid sponsor? Just curious.

[This message has been edited by dlance (edited 1/4/2012 10:49p).]
Tomdoss92
AG
don't worry, i found a more recent Uverse guide for accurate comparison
AgMarauder04
AG
Cost comparison?

I went Dish on round 1 because directv was so expensive.
MGS
Too bad the Directv DVRs are still running on 90's hardware.
permabull
AG
MW03
AG
don't forget about the fact that I get the red zone channel with the HD tier for a whopping $5 per month. Much more palatable than the $400 I had to shell out for the Sunday Ticket on DirecTV.
akaggie05
AG
Everyone seems to be forgetting that internet service is tightly integrated with U-Verse, while with DirecTV you're pretty much on your own to get cable or DSL (although they seem to offer bundles with various providers). Satellite internet is available, but it's somewhat slow and has a very high latency... really only a good option if you're out in the sticks and can't get anything else.
culdeus
AG
I'm at another dtv/uv decision tree. Those are the only real options at my house. I contacted the OP earlier and got some quote.

Cost wise if you factor in the cheap and excellent internet the cost of DTV+???Internet is at least going to add $30 to the cost on the same TV packages to get even 6MB, 16MB would be far more expensive and is only a 5-10 bump in cost on UV bill.

PQ is a tradeoff, but at that cost it isn't so noticeable to make it a big deal. My plan is to go OTA for local channels anyways which is >>>>>either option.

I don't agree with the interface comments. DTV to me has very slow surfing even with new boxes. It is also far easier to move boxes room to room with UV. Boot time on second boxes is a matter of 2 minutes or less.

I'll probably go with UV again for their promo rate and when it expires consider going OTA only.
permabull
AG
DRE06
AG
quote:
Everyone seems to be forgetting that internet service is tightly integrated with U-Verse, while with DirecTV you're pretty much on your own to get cable or DSL (although they seem to offer bundles with various providers). Satellite internet is available, but it's somewhat slow and has a very high latency... really only a good option if you're out in the sticks and can't get anything else.

That's not true. I just switched from Uverse TV/Internet to DTV/Uverse Internet when I bought my house.

DirecTV has a bundling service with ATT/Uverse Internet and it gives you a discount. I just got Uverse Max Internet (12 Mbps) for $24.95/month for 24 months. Its typically $35/month, but with the DTV bundle, they knock off $10/month. It was also a 12 month promotion price, but I asked if they could lock me at that price for 24 months and they agreed.

I had the same internet when I was with uverse and I believe I was paying $35 month. So its actually cheaper through DTV.

[This message has been edited by DRE06 (edited 1/5/2012 11:03a).]
culdeus
AG
you can't get the uverse/dtv bundle everywhere

And UV internet prices have been coming way down lately.
Fenrir
Do they still have the install cost though?
DRE06
AG
I had $0 install for DTV
I had $39 initiation fee for Uverse Internet; $0 installation (although I'm not sure that's the norm).
Predmid
AG
I never lose signal because of a snow or rainstorm with uverse.
Fenrir
Haven't lost signal in a year and half with DTV...

Considering uverse for internet, but don't really want to deal with a high one time cost.
Predmid
AG
my neighbor who has direct tv loses signal all the time.
14TheRoad
AG
DirecTV is fine until you are trying to watch something while it's raining. Then you have to wait on hold for a half an hour as you get bounced around through customer service. When you finally get through and they can't help you they schedule a technician to come out and help you. When the technician comes out to look at the dish and do any trouble shooting they charge you for the service call and if while he is there determines that the directTv box is bad he replaces it with a new one and DirectTv locks you into a new two year contract that you later have to spend another hour on the phone with customer service to get out of.

When the weather is nice it works great though!
AggieGunslinger
AG
we have a rural cabin and never have a problem with the signal even though it is surrounded by huge trees. I get tired of the randomness of their channels, and the fact that 1 in 3 seems to be a shopping channel.
dln1957
AG
I have DirectTV and am wondering if it is still worth it. Is there a way to watch free TV including sports?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.