Leaping over the center??

1,166 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BassCowboy33
Little Rock Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you watched the Cardinals-Seahawks game last night, Bobby Wagner (LB) leaped over the deep snapper twice on 2 field goal attempts, blocking one and probably disrupting another. Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth both argued about the legitimacy of the play and I have seen a lot of confusion about it. If that was legal, then I don't know why more players don't try it. Do any rules "gurus" have an opinion on it?
ORAggieFan
Legal. You can't launch yourself off a player. VP of rules for NFL tweeted it was legal.
benMath08
AG
As long as you don't use one of your teammates as a springboard and don't touch the center, it's legal. It's really hard to do and the special teams coach should have his players prepared with a hard count or something similar ready if they expect it.
PooDoo
AG
He touched the center on the one he blocked.

Cam Chancellor did it a couple of times a year or two ago.

They should probably make it illegal
benMath08
AG
Maybe "touch" isn't the correct word. I know you can't run straight into the center (unless that's punts only but I'm 95% sure field goals too).

tbh I don't know the exact language of the rule.
W
AG
he touched the center on the first leap. Probably see more clarification from the league office soon
ORAggieFan
You can touch. You can't land on.
ApachePilot
AG
It's legal. The fact the cardinals didn't try and change the snap count amazed me. You know it's coming. As a Hawk fan I was loving it!
bodaciousbood14
AG
Kam Chancellor did the same thing last year and it was ruled legal. Cleats just barely skimmed over the top of the long-snapper's helmet
03_Aggie
Aren't they limited on how far off the LOS they can start? Don't they have to be within two yards or else it's considered illegal?
BassCowboy33
[Insert play] is legal, but I don't like it. It should be banned.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.