NFL and Ties

2,038 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TXAggie2011
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As if the Seattle vs Arizona game wasn't a big enough disaster, they go and tie and make playoff tiebreakers ridiculous for everybody.

I blame the NFL cause the OT rules suck... But those Friggin field goal kickers... What the heck guys. What a disaster!
txagman1998
AG
I love NFL games that end in a tie because the ending always play out just like the way this game ended. Oh, and having watched the end of this game in a sports pub, I can tell you that many football fans didn't know until tonight that a regular season NFL game can end in a tie.
jr15aggie
AG
txagman1998 said:

I can tell you that many football fans didn't know until tonight that a regular season NFL game can end in a tie.

Unfortunately we are reminded every 3 years or so that NFL games can indeed end in a tie!
Chipotlemonger
AG
It's not an issue at all.
W
AG
the tie actually makes the playoff tiebreakers simpler among the NFC division winners.

Seattle does not play Dallas or Minnesota
Bonfired
AG
While it's not desirable, I've never had an issue with having a tie being a possible outcome. They are still fairly uncommon, but it's interesting to me that the last 3 ties have had scoring in the OT period.
Buck Compton
AG
txagman1998 said:

I can tell you that many football fans didn't know until tonight that a regular season NFL game can end in a tie.
It seems like every time there is one in the NFL, a player comes out and exposes their ignorance as well... How they don't know, I will never understand... Have they been under a rock for the past decade? I still remember when Donovan McNabb was the first one to publicly come out and talk about not knowing about the tie possibility.
txagman1998
AG
Yup, the change in overtime rules should make ties slightly more likely since if both teams kick field goals, there is less time on the clock during the sudden death period than the old overtime rules.
txagman1998
AG
Quote:

Unfortunately we are reminded every 3 years or so that NFL games can indeed end in a tie!

Actually, there has been a tie game in four of the last five seasons, which make it even more interesting that there are NFL fans that don't realize that games can end in a tie.
jr15aggie
AG
I'm surprised more of you don't dislike ties.

Or perhaps I was just upset after watching The Walking Dead and a bad NFL game got my wrath.
txagman1998
AG
What's not to like? Now obviously, if a game goes to overtime and my team (the Cowboys) is involved, I want to see a win. Otherwise, I always hope overtime games end in ties, especially if the game wasn't especially well played, like last night. Like I said in the original post, tie games always end just like last night: missed field goal kicks, missed opportunities, punts and turnovers, etc.

And to be honest, I also don't have a problem with it from an outcome standpoint. If two teams are on level terms after the allotted time, so be it. Why does there have to be a forced outcome to the game (other than the playoffs)? I wish college overtime was more similar to the NFL. The current system, while dramatic, is in my opinion a bit of a *******ization of the game. During regular time, there is no scenario where a team arbitrarily gets the ball at the opponents 25, yet it happens in overtime. And don't even get me started on the ridiculous overtime shootout in regular season NHL games.
Frok
AG
I think the current NFL overtime is about as good of an overtime system you can devise. It plays just like the regular game.

I'm okay with the college overtime. College games are usually at 4 hours when they go to overtime. At that point the game needs to end quickly.
txagman1998
AG
Quote:

I'm okay with the college overtime. College games are usually at 4 hours when they go to overtime. At that point the game needs to end quickly.

Actually, that's another pet peeve of mine in regards to the college game. They need to do away with stopping the clock after every first down. With all of the passing in the today's game, every incompletion and every first down results in a clock stoppage. The hurry up offense has lengthened the game. Having time rules closer to what the NFL does would help remedy this problem.
ac
txagman1998 said:

Quote:

Actually, that's another pet peeve of mine in regards to the college game. They need to do away with stopping the clock after every first down. With all of the passing in the today's game, every incompletion and every first down results in a clock stoppage. The hurry up offense has lengthened the game. Having time rules closer to what the NFL does would help remedy this problem.
Another solution could be to have fewer TV timeouts, but I don't see that happening.

The problems I have w/the college OT are that you get a lot of "basketball scores" and that the stats get skewed. The latter would annoy FFL players too much for the NFL to adopt it.
jr15aggie
AG
Hey, if Hockey can do away with ties, so can the NFL!
ac
Buck Compton said:

txagman1998 said:

It seems like every time there is one in the NFL, a player comes out and exposes their ignorance as well... How they don't know, I will never understand... Have they been under a rock for the past decade? I still remember when Donovan McNabb was the first one to publicly come out and talk about not knowing about the tie possibility.
Correct me if I am wrong, but during the OT coin flip, don't the refs explain to the team captains that the game will end in a tie if there is no winner after 15 minutes?
Buck Compton
AG
Yep, they most certainly do. Maybe in response to the McNabb interview. But generally the ignorance is a player from another team hopping on twitter, etc. and mouthing off about a tie. Kind of ridiculous not to know that rule if it is your profession, IMO.
TXAggie2011
AG
I think both offenses ought to be guaranteed a possession, well, at least a kickoff.

I don't like sudden death on a TD (or safety), I don't like that a team can win a game off a lucky coin toss and not having to make a single tackle.
Frok
AG
It's not really luck if you drive it down the field and score a touchdown.

It used to be much more about luck when all you needed was a field goal.

Quote:

They need to do away with stopping the clock after every first down

100% agree. These college games go on forever now.
AgPediRPh
AG
Let the game end in a tie. There was some good defense, but a lot of penalties and suckiness from both teams. Neither deserved to win.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

You can break a tie and win the game without half of your team having to see the field; which, since you brought it up earlier, is totally unlike the regular game which is designed to see that your whole team needs to see field.

I can't think of another sport or even football league in the entire world that thinks its a good idea to allow a tie to be broken like that.

And they know this at the league offices---it is why they changed the rule about a field goal.

Bonfired
AG
Here we go again...
W
AG
well, we have another tie today: Bengals & Redskins.

the NFC tiebreakers got a little more complicated (for the wildcard)
Bonfired
AG
This is the 3rd tie for the Bengals since 2008...all inter-conference. Eagles, Panthers, Redskins.
C Loves L
I wish they would have both kickers kicking field goals, starting at the 30 yard line. Going back 5 yards further with each successful kick. Sorta like a soccer and hockey OT scenario
hph6203
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

You can break a tie and win the game without half of your team having to see the field; which, since you brought it up earlier, is totally unlike the regular game which is designed to see that your whole team needs to see field.

I can't think of another sport or even football league in the entire world that thinks its a good idea to allow a tie to be broken like that.

And they know this at the league offices---it is why they changed the rule about a field goal.

The whole team already saw the field for 60 minutes. The best offense in the entire league right now scores a TD on only 30% of its offensive possessions. Have no sympathy for a team getting "unlucky" on a coin flip and the failing to stop a team from scoring a touchdown. Even if you take the best two offenses and pitted them against one another in a do or die situation, you'd have a 9% chance of seeing back to back TDs, in most cases it would be more like 6-7%.

Not worth the injury risk, or TV schedule interruption to have an opposing team derp around for another 5-7 plays just so they can feel like they actually lost.

Coming into this season only 7 of 50 OT games ended on a first possession TD. I'm fine with a rule change in the playoffs, but see no need for it to change in the regular season.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

The whole team already saw the field for 60 minutes.
And those 60 minutes ended with a tie. Make 'em go when with offense and defense in overtime.

I don't see 14% (7/50) or even 9% or 7% as meaningless. Further, that doesn't mesh with allowing a response to a field goal---you're more likely to score a touchdown than make a field goal under normal circumstances, and of course the odds of scoring a touchdown increase if a field goal isn't an option and you're going for it on 4th down.

You can get hurt playing football. It sucks. But too bad. And I don't think you can play-up the odds of a significant injury and downplay the odds of responding with a touchdown.

I understand the impetus from the TV networks to get games wrapped up and yes, I'm more annoyed at this in the playoffs than in the regular season.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.