Jason Garret Needs to put his foot down

4,383 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PooDoo
champagnepapi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And tell Jerry to Eff Off when he tries to put Romo in.

Jerry was just quoted as "Romo is his guy ".
DannyDuberstein
AG
Garrett is BFF's with romo.

This problem will solve itself when Romo gets effed up again.
Enviroag02
AG
To me, if Romo is healthy:

Who is the better reader of defenses? Romo
Who is the better passer? Romo
Who is better at progressions? Romo
If the playoffs started today, who would you want? Romo

Romo starts if healthy. Dak thrives at the short to intermediate throws so defenses can play tight to the LOS to stop the run and Zeke is still effective. Imagine how effective he could be if the defense had to play honest?

CoolAggie
AG
How many playoff wins does Romo have to expect to have this job just given back to him? Romo era is over. Get used to it Romo apologizers.
CrawlingNo5
AG
Quote:

If the playoffs started today, who would you want on the bench? Romo

FIFY
Little Rock Ag
AG
Jerry Jones is the most formidable opponent the Cowboys have faced the past 21 years.
SA-AG72
AG
Who is a winner? Prescott
Goldie Wilson
Dak is playing really well right now and Romo hasn't played a meaningful snap in about 11 months. I think this one is pretty easy. That said, I'm almost positive that the Cowboys will play Romo.
45-70Ag
AG
Dan 07 said:

Dak is playing really well right now and Romo hasn't played a meaningful snap in about 11 months. I think this one is pretty easy. That said, I'm almost positive that the Cowboys will **** this up and play Romo.

FIFY
Kashchei
AG
Aikman and Favre, no slouch QBs themselves, both said you don't mess up the mojo.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Little Rock Ag said:

Jerry Jones is the most formidable opponent the Cowboys have faced the past 21 years.

Brilliant.
tannerr0703
AG
I wish nothing but the best for Romo, he has poured his heart out to this team.

That said, I cant see how you break up this chemistry. Let Romo coach up Dak and really help the team.
BassCowboy33
champagnepapi said:

And tell Jerry to Eff Off when he tries to put Romo in.

Jerry was just quoted as "Romo is his guy ".

Terrible idea.

You need to keep pushing that decision off, while keeping locker room cohesion. Garrett has handled this perfectly. It's already a distraction to fans and media. Don't let it become a locker room issue until it needs to be.

In essence, don't make a decision until you have to make a decision. Doing it now can only hurt you.
Ag12thman
AG
It's likely going to cause a split in the locker room and could ruin would might be a highly successful season.
Agnzona
Defenses have more to account for with Daks bootlegs, rollouts and running. It will be easier to defend Tony and it will make it tougher for Zeke.
Rockdoc
AG
I think they will keep pushing Romo's starting time back due to "medical considerations" as long as Dak and team chemistry are hot.
Rudyjax
AG
CoolAggie said:

How many playoff wins does Romo have to expect to have this job just given back to him? Romo era is over. Get used to it Romo apologizers.
I don't think the Cowboys should go back to Romo, but Romo has not been the Cowboys problem. A true sign of a football ignoramous is giving all the credit and all the blame to the QB.

CoolAggie
AG
But you can't convince me that Romo had a lot to do with the Cowboys playoff failures. I give him credit for being a good QB and for putting the team on his back and getting them to the playoffs when they had no business being there. But this is the Cowboys and you are ultimately judged by playoff success/failure.
Macarthur
CoolAggie said:

But you can't convince me that Romo had a lot to do with the Cowboys playoff failures. I give him credit for being a good QB and for putting the team on his back and getting them to the playoffs when they had no business being there. But this is the Cowboys and you are ultimately judged by playoff success/failure.

Well, the cool thing is you can actually use the internet and go back and review each of those games.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RomoTo00/gamelog/post/

Overall, if you look at the numbers, he's been pretty good. The two games he wasn't - Giants and Vikings.

Giants - Threw two great passes to Clayton - one drop and one he stopped on his route. They were ahead when Clayton dropped the one across the middle and would have been a huge gain and possible TD. The other was going into the endzone for the go ahead TD late in the game.

Vikes - That was a team meltdown. I think he was sacked like 6 times. We saw that OL get old right before our eyes.

I'm not saying Romo didn't play a part in their playoff failures, but he was far from the biggest issue as this narrative would suggest. In the playoffs, he has a rating of 93 w/ 8 TDs and 2 INTs.
Rudyjax
AG
Quote:

In the playoffs, he has a rating of 93 w/ 8 TDs and 2 INTs.

Let that sink in.

Rudyjax
AG
Quote:

But this is the Cowboys and you are ultimately judged by playoff success/failure.

Yes, it's the Cowboys. Not Tony Romo.

Romo is a better QB than Staubach, Aikman, and White. Romo just played on a much worse team and they played on better teams.

They finally get a good team and they beat the Packers on the road (and the referees took it away), and then he gets injured. Very unfortunate. Here's to hoping he doesn't play this year and then wins it all with the Broncos next season.
Macarthur
Take a look at this.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career_playoffs.htm
CoolAggie
AG
Unthought Known said:

Romo is a better QB than Staubach, Aikman, and White. Romo just played on a much worse team and they played on better teams.
In this era of pass-happy NFL, stats will favor Romo. Even with a loaded team, Romo couldn't get it done. That is the excuse I always hear and will never agree with. He's a good guy and wish him the best but he never got it done here, even when he did good teams around him. 2-4 is the bottom line. I'm not going to post anymore, I just can't agree with someone that ranks Romo ahead of Staubach, Aikman, and even White.
Rudyjax
AG
How many players are getting into or deserve to get into the Ring of Honor in Romo's career? Witten?

How many are in the Ring of Honor HoF from Aikman, Staubach, White?

The fact is that the other 3 had better teams.

So yeah, Romo didn't get it done. But he had some pretty bad players around him minus a few years.
Little Rock Ag
AG
Quote:

I just can't agree with someone that ranks Romo ahead of Staubach, Aikman, and even White.
Agree with Staubach and Aikman, but Romo is better than Danny White. Ironically, they both have the same rap that they couldn't win the big games.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Quote:

Even with a loaded team, Romo couldn't get it done.
Who were on these loaded teams you speak of? T.O. and a younger Witten? It wasn't until 2014 he had a good RB and we saw what he could finally do when everything wasn't dependent on him carrying the team. I agree Dak should continue starting but to harbor any resentment towards Romo for Cowboys failures is misplaced, unless you still hold a grudge about the loss to Seattle when he fumbled the snap. That was 100% on him (and they still almost came back).

The guy was an UFA. Anything you got from him has been a gift. That's why Sean Peyton wanted him in NO before Brees got there. He knew how good he was/is.
Rudyjax
AG
Jason Witten is not as good of a TE as Jay Novacek.

When it came down to the big game, he couldn't win it all.

Novacek has 3 rings.
Bobaloo
Little Rock Ag said:

THIS!!!!!
Bullmoose
AG
Witten has 0 touchdowns and 1 fumble in his playoff games.

Novacek has 6 touchdowns and 0 fumbles....and 3 rings....LOL

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/playoffs.htm
birdman
Billy Joe Dupree was better than both of them when it mattered.
Rudyjax
AG
Bullmoose said:

Witten has 0 touchdowns and 1 fumble in his playoff games.

Novacek has 6 touchdowns and 0 fumbles....and 3 rings....LOL

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/playoffs.htm

Because his QB was better, duh.
Say Chowdah
AG
Macarthur said:

Take a look at this.

So Romo is better than Brady, both Mannings, Favre, Aikman and Young?
Rudyjax
AG
Say Chowdah said:

Macarthur said:

Take a look at this.

Pretty sure the point in that is to say he's not the reason for the playoff record.
Macarthur
Say Chowdah said:

Macarthur said:

Take a look at this.

As UK said, I'm certainly not saying that. I'm just trying to dispell this narrative that Romo is some sort of choke artist and that if the Cowboys had just had a diff QB, the franchise would have been so much better off....
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Macarthur said:

Say Chowdah said:

Macarthur said:

Take a look at this.

As UK said, I'm certainly not saying that. I'm just trying to dispell this narrative that Romo is some sort of choke artist and that if the Cowboys had just had a diff QB, the franchise would have been so much better off....
i'll say it again, people who use that narrative usually spend Sunday's either watching their own favorite team, or not watching the Cowboys. at least not on a regular basis. it's completely impossible to watch every Cowboys game/Romo Start, AND know football and to still blame him for the Cowboys misfortunes.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.