****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

204,638 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
Ag Natural
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Should have started this week's ago, but now the off-season has officially started. I'm hoping for a 4-12 record and a top five pick.

The only roster spots safe are probably OLine, WR and TE. Honestly, the only group I feel good about is the OLine. I'd even trade Dez if anyone would take him.

Otherwise, the whole roster was exposed this season. Not a single group was consistently good. Outside of Bailey, the entire team was the most unclutch I've seen in some years. Luckily for Romo, he was out and can't be blamed. That was always just a convenient way to ignore all the other bad players in Dallas.

Meanwhile, the Cowboys have up picks for both Cassell and Michael (or do we get that one back?). Romo will be back and you know JJ feels like he needs to win now. So I look forward to more bad moves.
SeattleAgJr
In before first Manziel comment.
Ag Natural
AG
I'd be in favor of making a deal to get Murray back. He looks like crap in green.
bdgol07
AG
quote:
I'd be in favor of making a deal to get Murray back. He looks like crap in green.
He has essentially been benched tonight
gigem1223
Not a fan of any QB in this draft. Watching Johnny play the last few weeks, I'd give up a 4th rd pick for him (if Cleveland shops him). This team has lots of holes and should go BPA with whatever pick they end up with.
toucan82
probably end up trading a 2nd or 3rd to move up a couple of spots in the 1st because Jerry
2ndGen87
AG
I predict Cowboys go on a winning streak for remainder of season
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I think McFadden did ok at RB. We should definitely add to the position but still not willing to spend too much on Murray.

Id love to see the offseason play out like this:

-Sign the best FA Cover Safety available. They can line Jones up full time at S too and Church and Wilcox MUST be bottom roster guys (push guys like Heath out ).

- Sign tier 2 level LB and DL. Lee and McLain will continue to be unreliable.

Draft:

1: Vernon Hargreaves CB Florida. Imagine a CB unit of Hargreaves, Scandrick, & Carr/Claiborne (one will be back imo). On the back end your newly signed Safety and Jones. Thats an A secondary.

2: BPA WR or RB. Offense needs speed and playmaking ability in a bad way. A 2016 major contributor can be added high in the 2nd.

3: BPA LB. Go bpa but LB would be ideal. See note about Lee and Mclain above.

4: BPA WR or RB again.

5: BPA DB

6: BPA DL

7: BPA

I know Garrett wont be fired. But going almost winless w out Romo? ? Thats inexcusable and a fireable offense. Also the OL regressed this yr. Not a fan of whoever is coaching that unit.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
I'd even trade Dez if anyone would take him.
You are a year or two late to trade Dez... Trading him would leave us with $25 mil in dead money and -$12 mil in cap savings.

The thing that keeps the Cowboys from being a great franchise again is not knowing what they have and not being proactive with their roster moves. The way they handled Dez & Demarco's free agency was amateur hour.

90% of roster decisions need to be done before their contract expires so you can at least trade them for something before you lose them for nothing.

Have a roster without holes locked up and filled with free agents before going into the draft. Then you'll be free to draft the best player/playmaker available.

The Draft:
If the stars align and we end up with Paxton Lynch on the board for our 1st pick it would make things very exciting.

I think the kid is going to be really good. You could either draft him or trade him for a butt load of picks and give Romo one more go for broke (hopefully not a collar bone) season.

Walk away from the 1st round with Ezekiel Elliott and Robert Nkemdiche. 2nd go CB or LB. 3rd find a WR with return skills.

TyHolden
AG

RedlineAg08
Romo will be back next year and i dont like any of this years QBs unless Goff slipped to the 2'd round and that aint happening.

Hang on to Greg Hardy

Draft
1st - A'Shawn Robinson/Jarran Reed
2nd - Best available CB/LB/S
3rd - Best available CB/LB/S

Free Agency
If a starting safety is available you have to get him.

BMX Bandit
They handled Dez & Demarco exactly how they should have.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
The way they approached it was correct. However, they still ended up giving Dez too much money. They also underestimated Murray's intangible value to that team. So the end result looks bad. And overpaid unreliable WR you keep, meanwhile for just a couple million more you could have kept your ground game in tact.
RedlineAg08
You dont pay a RB that kind of money. It wasnt long ago Demarco was unreliable.

Dez was worth it
98Ag99Grad
AG
Have no problem with Dez's contract or letting Murray walk for what he was asking. Any chance they can get Callahan back for the OL? That unit has been a disappointment this season.
BMX Bandit
completely disagree with the position they overpaid Dez.

his cap numbers/dead money number moving forward are:
$13/$25
$17/$12
$16.5/$8
$16.5/$8

Thats what a top WR costs, and he can easily be cut or traded in 2018, even 2017 if you wanted.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Dez got a fair contract when all is said and done based on the market.

Agree w BMX that I don't think there was any different way that all coulda been handled.
Ag Natural
AG
Yes, Dez's contract is fair if you assume he's truly a top WR. I don't. I think he's horribly inconsistent and not worthy of top tier status.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
well i'll concede in 2015 he was more a top tier sh** talker loudmouth good for little waste of time than WR.

i'll give him the benefit of the doubt because of his injury and Romo being out though and lets see what happens.
BMX Bandit
every coach and GM in the league think he's a top tier WR.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
Right. Well, I'd hold it against him slightly that he just had his worst season after spending the whole summer b*tching and moaning about getting a new contract. I don't care if Jerry Jones himself was playing QB, he should have produced more. He dropped plenty of critical passes this season. If any of these other genius GMs want to trade for him I hope Jerry listens.
RedlineAg08
quote:
quote:
Right. Well, I'd hold it against him slightly that he just had his worst season after spending the whole summer b*tching and moaning about getting a new contract. I don't care if Jerry Jones himself was playing QB, he should have produced more. He dropped plenty of critical passes this season. If any of these other genius GMs want to trade for him I hope Jerry listens.
He broke his leg... And then did what he could to get back even though the season was a loss. Are you being serious?
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
He broke his leg... And then did what he could to get back even though the season was a loss. Are you being serious?

Dead serious. In games he played healthy, he sucked. Broken leg or not he should be able to catch and not create drama all the time. He's making franchise money and should be a leader. Instead, he gets to underwelm and let everyone make excuses for him.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
No they didn't.

They should've had Dez's contract done before the offseason. That way he would've been in camp and in shape week one.

They should've used the franchise tag on Demarco and given Dez, Demarco, & Romo, one more run.
PooDoo
AG
quote:

I'd bet RG3 before Manziel...
BMX Bandit
quote:
quote:
No they didn't.

They should've had Dez's contract done before the offseason. That way he would've been in camp and in shape week one.

They should've used the franchise tag on Demarco and given Dez, Demarco, & Romo, one more run.

Using the tag on Demarco was never going to happen. It would be paying way above the market for him.

It would have been an epic blunder.

And saying "they should have signed Dez earlier" is great, but how? What number would you have signed him at? Would be a lot more than he gets now
NickEZ08
1. GO GET MANZIEL and design the offense around him.
2. Draft Treadwell in the 1st Round.
3. Draft Offensive BPA in the 2nd-7th Round.
4. Sign Defensive FAs.

Sea Gull
AG
They need to consider parting ways with McClain too. McClain has had one of the worst seasons as an MLB I've ever seen. He's been flat out awful.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Draft projection I saw this morning on Bleacher report had them taking the LB out of Notre Dame w/ 1st pick.
Matsui
AG
The Cowboys are going to start Romo next year.
W
AG
I would seriously consider drafting Treadwell to pair him with Dez.

kind of what the Falcons had for a while with Roddy and Julio
Macarthur
quote:
I would seriously consider drafting Treadwell to pair him with Dez.

kind of what the Falcons had for a while with Roddy and Julio

I'm starting to come around to this idea, too.

The way this league is constructed now, it's an offense league. While I really like the LBers, I still think that's a postion you can find good players down the line.

Treadwell and Dez would be really something.
jr15aggie
AG
Our defense could use some help, but good gosh our offense was pathetic (Weeden seemed to get the Texans into the endzone just fine). Makes me very nervous for next year because it really seemed to be more of a scheme/coordinator issue than a talent issue.

Regardless, we need more firepower on offense. WR seems to be a good start if you are drafting as high as the Cowboys are. They don't have another real WR on the team outside of Dez. Beasley will never be more than a slot WR with a limited route tree. That Baylor guy is nothing more than a speed guy that can only catch with his body. Street is pretty much a bust at this point and everybody else are bottom feeders that have been cut by other teams.

A stud WR in the 1st would be nice... and a 2nd/3rd round RB is pretty much a must at this point too. Go defense with most of your remaining picks and we'll see what happens.
RedlineAg08
This offense has enough talent already when Romo is healthy. It not functioning without Romo isn't a sign the offensive talent sucks, it's a sign the scheme sucks.

The defense needs help, and if they waste another pick on a corner I'm going to lose my mind. What they did with paying big money to Carr and trading up to draft Claiborne, and then changing schemes should have been illegal.

They did good with building the OLine, complete the deal and build that DLine. There isn't a QB in this draft that I would be happy with in the 1st round, and he'd sit behind Romo for a year or 2 anyways. I want a DT that isn't Nick Hayden. Go draft Reed or Robinson, or if you're completely sold on Nkemdiche, grab him. But get us a guy that can occupy the middle.
Macarthur
I really would not be angry if they took a DL, DB, LBer or WR. You can make a good case for any of those. And I also think Elliot is a stud, but our pick might be a bit high for him.

I also wouldn't be too upset if we traded down a couple of spots and picked up another 2nd.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.