Job Network
Sponsored by

Victoria, TX area

1,605 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Chicken Ranch
G. hirsutum Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am about to be laid off and am looking for work. I'm currently in the agriculture sector but there aren't many jobs in this area for my industry. I have been considering changing industries for a while. I am open to anything. I have a masters degree and have been doing research and statistics for many years. I also have a lot of experience with training and educating customers. Any leads would be greatly appreciated!
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Have you ever considered teaching at a community college? The Victoria College or even UH-V are always looking for folks.

I also used to work in agriculture in that region and I left the industry a decade ago. If I were to have stayed in my field of agriculture I would have had to move to the Panhandle, The Plains, or back to the Midwest. I didn't want to do that.

Are you tied to that area?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
The ag jobs down here are few and far between. I have 2 decent ag leads but I'm getting tired of the wait and see game. I'm from the panhandle and refuse to go back if at all possible and the other ag jobs are in the Dakotas and such. That's why I'm considering a different industry. Would really like to stay in Victoria if possible. My parents moved down here, we own some land and my wife has a decent small business that is doing good. Not opposed to moving for the right job if the location is decent
The Chicken Ranch
AG
If your wife has a good small business and you have bought land I can see that it would be hard to move.

If I were you I'd seriously look into teaching at one of the colleges. Or you could help your wife out and maybe expand her business.

It is really a dead area if you aren't born or married into an old family with a business. Honestly, I'm glad I left and as time goes on I find I have fewer and fewer ties "back home."
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
My top choice offered today.
CrossBowAg99
AG
Try to get hired on at a chemical plant, refinery, or pipeline operator
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Congratulations! I hope that works out for you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.