Job Network
Sponsored by

Travelling for Work Near Due Date

2,104 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 06usmcag
I should be studying 11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guys and gals... I'm looking for some feedback based on your personal experiences.

I just started my dream job a week ago with my dream employer and everything is great. I am in sales and cover a 4 state territory which will require that I make regular visits to see my customers. No biggie.

The issue I am facing is that my wife also happens to be VERY pregnant and is due with our second daughter in less than a month. Now, I explained the situation to my manager before accepting the job, and he was more than understanding of my travel concerns until the baby comes, because there is no way I am going to miss the delivery. Great.

So, what I would love to hear from you all is, am I going to be looked down upon if I am unwilling to travel outside of the DFW area (where we live) the two weeks before my wife's due date? The Dr. has already said they will induce her on her due date at the latest, so I would only be under a true travel restriction for those two weeks.

I know my manager was understanding of the situation before I accepted the job, but I'm more concerned with the lasting effects (perceived image) of me being tethered to the home base. So for any of you other travelling dads out there - is this normal? Did you or would you do the same thing if you were in my shoes?
ORAggieFan
No one here can answer the question. Really, it depends on the company environment/culture and the manager(s).

With you being upfront before accepting, I'd say you're fine.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Like the above poster said: you were straight up from the beginning about it, they shouldn't have a major problem with it. I couldn't imagine a company that would hang something like that over your head be a company anyone would want to work for.
Vernada
AG
Agree with th others. You were open and honest upfront. Just make sure you are communicating with your mgr well in advance.
SwissAgg
AG
Another question. What about after the delivery?

Two weeks is nothing in the big scheme of things....
They should understand that this is a once in a lifetime event.

In an emergency, could you send someone in your place?
BrazosDog02
AG
I would do it and not think twice. But as stated, you need to be avialable for some time after shes born. That's your call too but I've always made it clear that my family life takes priority over any job, some employers get it and other don't but you do need to accept the risk.

That's my opinion.
RG20
Work from home a little? Make phone calls, emails, teleconference some meetings, work on data entry planning and any other paperwork related stuff. Include your boss n any of this so he sees you are still working. Anyways, just food for thought. Definitely take time for the Fam though. Been there two times myself, nothing like it. Congrats!
FitMomma24_7
You were forthright before hand, and you didn't HAVE to be. Do whats best for you and your family. I bet they'll understand anyways.
Check out my website www.FitMomma247.siterubix.com
Or follow me on instagram @FitMomma24_7
PTXaggie08
AG
It doesn't matter what they think. Take care of your wife and kid. This is a once in a lifetime experience.

5 years from now, you will regret if you didn't put your family first.
I should be studying 11
AG
PTXaggie08 said:

It doesn't matter what they think. Take care of your wife and kid. This is a once in a lifetime experience.

5 years from now, you will regret if you didn't put your family first.

You are all right and I know it would be the biggest regret of my life if I missed the birth. I appreciate the input and just needed a sanity check to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable.

Thank you all again and BTHO Bama!
ChiefKiefton
No job is more important than your family. It's sad that we are all so trained to be slaves to our bosses and paychecks. No one should ever have to question if it's okay to be at their own child's birth because work might need them.
06usmcag
Always take care of the family first.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.