Job Network
Sponsored by

IT Support Jobs?

1,319 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mickeyrig06sq3
BrazosDog02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in O&G...or, I was, rather. Anyway, I'm actively seeking employment to get back into that, but soon I am going to need to find something to get me by until I can get there. That said, the idea of IT support entered my mind. I am largely entertaining this deal because of my enjoyment with fixing workstations, installing software, and the like but not wanting to be programming. Also, I'm basing the interest on my old companies IT support guys. We had Linux and Windows admins...but we also had guys that set up new systems, fixed ip fixed, swapped out parts...opened and closed tickets. Seems like something I can do and who knows, maybe it could transition to something more. Does it require certs? Is this a viable short to long term solution? If it does require certifications...where do I get them? Is this doable? Additional thoughts on this idea?

Mainly I'm pretty much caught up with projects and I can't sit and be useless much longer. And I need benefits.

I can work doing anything, but if I could do something that paid better AND had potential for turning into something i really liked then it would be a more solid plan.
VonDownByTheRiver
You don't need certs to be a tier 1 support tech. Entering that field at your age and with your experience would be a little strange, and if you plan on making a career out of it, I'd start getting Microsoft, Cisco, or VM certs ASAP once you land employment. See which aspects you enjoy more and start carving a niche. There's not a lot of ladder to climb from tier 1, and you'll eventually want to move away from direct user support.
BrazosDog02
AG
It is strange. While I love the volatility and income of O&G, I'm entertaining the idea of stability in trade for income level. And...it may have potential to be more. It's just an option I'm entertaining. Would be nice to have a skill to weather downturns in oil that you could coast through on. That's why I'm thinking.
VonDownByTheRiver
Keep in mind those tier 1 positions are usually 30k/year and on call. There's a reason they usually go to recent grads.
ZooGuy
AG
$30K and on call is about what I'm making as a teacher.
BrazosDog02
AG
VonDownByTheRiver said:

Keep in mind those tier 1 positions are usually 30k/year and on call. There's a reason they usually go to recent grads.
Beggars can't be choosers. But, I am combing my network in hopes someone I know is in the field and will take a chance on employing me. I have several avenues of job leads, this is just one. Not ideal...but...thats just the way it goes.
Flogi
IT sucks.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Flogi said:

IT sucks.

Well ain't you just a ray of sunshine...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.