Job Network
Sponsored by

Should i ask for a raise?

2,029 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TMF
johnrth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Long story short, I work in a lab environment and have been with the company for 6yrs. When hired I only worked in one lab and occasionally would help in other labs. My manager left and another manger took over my lab. About 3weeks after she took over she exiled me out of my lab and sent me to work in two other labs 20hrs per lab per week. So now I'm doing two completely separate jobs everyday. She told me yesterday she wants to also get me trained to be the back up for the shipping and receiving guy when he is out. And that guy it seems is out quite often. I can handle it and I can do it with a smile on my face, but I'm wondering if it would be a good time to ask for a bigger raise then the typical 1.5% I get yearly, since i do have a lot more and will have more tasks and responsibilities than most other lab technicians. I also have other responsibilities that I voluteered for as PPE lead, EHS committee, and other small various roles.
Koko Chingo
AG
Sounds good. Just use your discretion to pick your time. I would not want an employee to blindside me or drop it on me when I am really busy etc.

Tell your boss you would like to speak with them and ask if they could set aside a few minutes in the week. You can say I just want to run some things by you and have the time set aside to discuss.

Is there an event coming soon that would naturally bring up this topic, such as an annual revue?

A couple things to think about. Is business good? Do not give an ultimatum. If the boss says not now or offers a lower amount ask for specific performance marks to hit and put a date on the calendar to discuss.
JamesPShelley
I agree with Koko.

Perhaps your boss is rewarded for keeping human capital expenses under budget. That you are so cross-trained means that the boss doesn't have to employ anyone to fill those positions. That provide$ a $trong incentive to cro$$-train. The 1.5% I would find dissatisfying. Perhaps you can get all your ducks lined up BEFORE you approach your boss for a raise, for that is when you'll find out exactly how much you are valued.

Good luck, and best wishes.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Exile and raise don't seem to go together.

Simple question: why is your boss using you as a utility player? Is it to try to make use of you because you're not the best lab tech or because you're a great resource that gets things done. The answer to this guides your question.
TMF
AG
Agree 100%. My first thought.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.