Job Network
Sponsored by

Recruiters?

1,925 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Milkman
DCPD158
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Never dealt with one and am wondering how it works.

I was contacted (by email) by a recruiter at Auctis Corp. about a job opportunity. They saw my resume on Monster.com.

Can someone give me the low down on the process, even the cliff notes version would help?
Company I-1, Ord-Ords '85 -12thFan and Websider-
lew09
AG
There are basically two types of searches a recruiter performs: retained and contingency. Under the circumstances you listed, I'm fairly certain this person is a contingency recruiter, which is also what I do.

A contingency recruiter fills a search order with a company and begins looking for suitable candidates. He then packages those candidates' information and sends it to his client, the hiring company. After receiving feedback from the client (hopefully), the recruiter then helps facilitate initial and follow-up interviews with the candidates the client has deemed worthy to proceed.

If the client hires a candidate brought forward by the recruiter, the client pays the recruiter a fee, typically a set percentage of the new hire's first year salary. If a recruiter ever asks you to pay him something, run for the hills like you are being chased by a swarm of angry bees.

Good recruiters find candidates like you in many ways, and sometimes in often unexpected places, so being contacted cold is not unusual; however, I would definitely do some research on the recruitment firm to gauge its legitimacy. If I see too many buzz words on a website (i.e. life-cycle, synergy, blah blah blah), I tend to become skeptical. Our job is fairly straightforward: we find talented people and help companies hire them. The end. It shouldn't be more complicated than that.

Most good recruiters specialize, working on jobs in one particular industry or a subset of an industry. That's helpful, especially if they understand what would be expected in the job in which they are trying to place you. And if a recruiter isn't willing to spend some time on the phone with you and learn about your goals and aspirations, pretend the bees are after you again. If I can't help a potential candidate, I try to be upfront about it so as to not waste anybody's time.

I hope this helps, and good luck.
BrazosDog02
AG
I'd say first try to make sure it's legit. After signing up for a few job sites, I have a metric **** ton (hundreds) of emails in my spam folder from "recruiters"...the kind here you mouse over the link and it's spoofed. That's a dead giveaway for me.
JamesPShelley
If a recruiter is scouting job sites, poring over the resumes of candidates they believe qualified for their opportunity... so are employers.

If I am an employer, and I see that you have your resume plastered over a variety of job boards... I am less interested in you as a candidate. I am more interested in those candidates who target their job search and do not throw mud on the wall to see what will stick. I want a candidate who is looking for a specific opportunity, not a candidate who will take the first opportunity that presents.

If you want to attract the attention of a recruiter, find one.

Cowboy1990
So what do you recruit for?
Petrino1
James Shelley, Im going to respectfully disagree. I think putting your resume on multiple job sites increases a job seeker's chances of getting interviews. For example, a certain company or recruiter may have an account with Monster, but not Indeed. Another company might have an account with Rigzone, but not career builder. Ive worked as a recruiter for various companies and have seen this first hand. Also, as a job seeker Ive gotten different job offers/inquiries from Monster than I did on Indeed.

However, I will agree that a job seeker applying for any and every single job on a company's website is a red flag. You should only apply to jobs that you are qualified for. if you are an accountant applying to an engineers job, a job which you are clearly unqualified for/dont have an engineering degree in, thats a red flag.
oilythrowaway
Solid thread. To the recruiters on here, I started a thread on the B&I board with some specific questions regarding my situation if anyone might be willing to read it and provide thoughts.

http://texags.com/forums/57/topics/2792461
AG98ME
lew09 said:

There are basically two types of searches a recruiter performs: retained and contingency. Under the circumstances you listed, I'm fairly certain this person is a contingency recruiter, which is also what I do.

A contingency recruiter fills a search order with a company and begins looking for suitable candidates. He then packages those candidates' information and sends it to his client, the hiring company. After receiving feedback from the client (hopefully), the recruiter then helps facilitate initial and follow-up interviews with the candidates the client has deemed worthy to proceed.

If the client hires a candidate brought forward by the recruiter, the client pays the recruiter a fee, typically a set percentage of the new hire's first year salary. If a recruiter ever asks you to pay him something, run for the hills like you are being chased by a swarm of angry bees.

Good recruiters find candidates like you in many ways, and sometimes in often unexpected places, so being contacted cold is not unusual; however, I would definitely do some research on the recruitment firm to gauge its legitimacy. If I see too many buzz words on a website (i.e. life-cycle, synergy, blah blah blah), I tend to become skeptical. Our job is fairly straightforward: we find talented people and help companies hire them. The end. It shouldn't be more complicated than that.

Most good recruiters specialize, working on jobs in one particular industry or a subset of an industry. That's helpful, especially if they understand what would be expected in the job in which they are trying to place you. And if a recruiter isn't willing to spend some time on the phone with you and learn about your goals and aspirations, pretend the bees are after you again. If I can't help a potential candidate, I try to be upfront about it so as to not waste anybody's time.

I hope this helps, and good luck.
Lew09- what type of positions do you recruit for? I am new in the market looking for a recruiter outside of oil and gas. All of my previous recruiters were oil and gas and I don't know where to start to find a respected recruiter. Can you help by giving me some tips on how to find a reputable recruiter?
The Milkman
AG
I had the weirdest conversation with a recruiter last week. They had approached me on LinkedIn and set up a call regarding what would have been a promotion for a similar organization.

I asked what the other company was looking for and he told me the 5 or 6 things that were most important to them in a candidate. So throughout the call I went through that list point by point and explained how I have done and am doing everything they wanted.

He also of course asked me how much I am currently making. I tried to be vague and side step it but he wouldn't accept no for answer so I told him (plus a little extra for good measure).

At the end of the call he said "I'll be honest... you are pretty good match for what they want but not perfect. A couple things holding you back are that you are a little young and your salary is out of range." 1) He knew how old I was because he had already looked at my LinkedIn page and 2) I didnt tell him how much I wanted to make. So I asked him to clarify and he said that my CURRENT salary was out of range... meaning that I currently made too little for them to be interested in me.

I was so shocked. Apparently they had told his recruiting agency "we want a person with X title, from a similar organization in Houston, who does X tasks, and makes between $X-$Y". I never imagined that not making enough would be a knock against me. I jokingly told him that I'm open to more money and I'd be back in touch after my next raise.

Insane.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.