Job Network
Sponsored by

Retail employee stole a cell phone, confessed and apologized

2,647 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JBLHAG03
wheelskjm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I really like the kid... he did it allegedly out of fear of not being able to get in touch with outside sources should his dad go off the hinges and hurt someone in his family. He had to contact a child services lawyer apparently.

This was a while back and he's now confessing to it unprinted and apologizing and "couldn't live with it on his conscience.

What say you? Stay or go?

I think the generic policy is to drop it like it's hot....but it's hard to make that call when the kid has been relativEly solid for the past 1.8 years.

Advice would be helpful.
Premium
AG
How long from theft to return? Did he just upgrade to a new iPhone so didn't need it?

ETA - also curious if you think he was feeling the heat - like he might of thought he was the known thief?
BrazosDog02
AG
Wait so he stole it and the owner just let the account run while it was missing? I'm lost.
DallasAggie0
If he confessed on his own I wouldn't get rid of him. Sometimes people deserve second chances.
wheelskjm
AG
Just used the WiFi access. Not cll phone service.
Coppell97
AG
quote:
If he confessed on his own I wouldn't get rid of him. Sometimes people deserve second chances.
agree. Go with your gut.
JoeOlson
AG
Do your other employees know about this? The precedent could be the most dangerous thing
Max06
AG

quote:
he did it allegedly out of fear of not being able to get in touch with outside sources should his dad go off the hinges and hurt someone in his family. He had to contact a child services lawyer apparently. .

Can you confirm any of this? Seems like he could have asked to borrow someone's phone, or heaven forbid use a computer at the library.

If you can confirm, it might be a good opportunity to discuss what would have been a proper way to handle this. Maybe get the kid a Walmart GoPhone/prepaid phone for such "emergencies".
wheelskjm
AG
Not really confirm any of the facts. Kid comes from a Mormon family, kinda strict.

I think I'm going to keep him around.

Anyone have an idea for atonement?
AgNav93
AG
Put him on bathroom detail. Bathrooms checked every hour and spotless.
GrayMatter
AG
quote:
Not really confirm any of the facts. Kid comes from a Mormon family, kinda strict.

I think I'm going to keep him around.

Anyone have an idea for atonement?
Written and signed probation of some sort for a specific length of time for starters.
Complaint Investigator
AG
quote:
Put him on bathroom detail. Bathrooms checked every hour and spotless.
Totally a military move - called it then checked your profile
Al Bula
AG
Buy him one of these... as punishment

JBLHAG03
AG
It would have been much easier for him to keep it a secret. It was probably punishment enough worrying about it and getting the nerve to tell you. Give him a second chance but not a third.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.