Job Network
Sponsored by

Looking for a change in Houston

1,875 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggieTrainer
AggieTrainer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
First of all, I am currently employed and grateful to have a job when I know that many of you do not. Having said that, I have to make a change or this job will run my marriage right off the tracks.

I'm a residential construction superintendent working 80-85 hours per week. There's simply no time left for anything else so a transition is in order. I'm educated beyond my experience but more than willing to take an intermediate role somewhere and earn my keep, probably in manufacturing. The short and sweet about me:
Class of 2009
MBA
MSc. in Industrial Management (basically a master's in Lean/Six Sigma methodology and implementation)
Army Veteran (2006-2011, 2 Tours)

I've only been in the Katy/Sugar Land area for a year, so I really don't have any kind of network or contacts or reference points for opportunities other than Indeed. I'd love to get back in to operations and process management/continuous improvement, but I'm open to any reasonable suggestion that has a semblance of work/life balance. I'd really appreciate any feedback or guidance you folks may have to offer that can point me in the right direction. Thanks for reading all this. And gig 'em.

Jason
HollywoodBQ
AG
It sounds like you're interested in working in a manufacturing facility of some sort.

So, what manufacturers are near where you live and/or are willing to commute? Assuming you want to stay near Katy. If you're open to moving then, what areas are you interested in moving to?

What industry are you interested in? Do you have some idea what the drivers are for those businesses, what their profit margins are like, etc.? Example - my brother wanted to work in Central Texas and wound up working for McLane in Temple. For him, geographic location was the most important factor and it took him a while to figure out that there's no margin in grocery distribution, thus limited potential for promotion/rewards.

What type of residential construction are you doing? An old HS buddy is just going to work for some high-end residential construction firm out of Jacksonville, FL who is just starting to enter the Austin market.

Obviously, work all your personal contacts and let everybody you know, know that you're looking. It's been a long time since I've driven past there but are they still manufacturing military vehicles out in Sealy? That could be worth a look given your qualifications/experience.
New Hampshire Ag
AG
JamesPShelley
Feel free to reach out to connect with me. I may be able to help you.

https://texags.com/forums/18/topics/2766393

https://texags.com/forums/18/topics/2781409/last

AggieTrainer
Thank you for the responses!
I have no preference for industry. It doesn't matter to me if we're making shoe laces or candy canes, I'm much more concerned with the quality of the organization from a management and relationship perspective. And it doesn't have to be in manufacturing. Every organization is trying to reduce waste and defects in their processes, and standardize products and performance. I think manufacturing is just where these positions tend to get more exposure.

I definitely don't want anything else to do with construction ever again....ever.

Jim, you are helping me right now. I owe you some inquiry responses and you should have them before I go to bed tonight.

Thanks for the feedback, please keep it coming.
Shawdaddy
AG
Don't know too much about it, but if you're after manufacturing try Igloo in Sealy. That would be close to home, and I hear they are a good operation. I'm in Katy as well, btw. Welcome to the neighborhood.
May_May
Thank you for your service AggieTrainer! Check out Mitsubishi-Caterpillar Forklift America. I recently completed a Lean certification training course with one of their employees and was really impressed by the things he had to say about this company. They are committed to 100% quality and subscribe to Lean and Six Sigma methodologies. I don't have much more info for you, but might be worth looking into. Best of luck to you!
AggieTrainer
I'll take a look at all of your suggestions this weekend, much appreciated!
E
AG
Try Perry Homes, they hire PM's all the time and pay well
mm98
AG
There are about 40-50 valve and industrial product mfgs just south of you in Stafford. Do some searching on those and if any look of interest, PM me the company name and I will see if I have any decent contacts.
BrazosDog02
AG
Yikes. Sounds like you're being taken advantage of. Do you like your company otherwise? Maybe you could work something out?
strohag
AG
If you are interested in wholesale distribution give me a shout. I was previously in the construction industry and enjoy this side of the business much more.

bschramm05 at gmail dot com
AggieBaker09
AG
quote:
Thank you for your service AggieTrainer! Check out Mitsubishi-Caterpillar Forklift America. I recently completed a Lean certification training course with one of their employees and was really impressed by the things he had to say about this company. They are committed to 100% quality and subscribe to Lean and Six Sigma methodologies. I don't have much more info for you, but might be worth looking into. Best of luck to you!

I can attest to this. MCFA is a great company. My FIL works there and has for some time. After getting let go recently in the oilfield downturn, I tried to get a job their but they have a policy that relatives of execs can't work there. But they are a great company and wish I had a shot to work there.
AggieTrainer
Great replies, thanks to everyone who has chimed in. Strohag, I'll touch base with you later today. AggieBaker, I have a pending application with MCFA, would you mind being my reference of application?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.