Job Network
Sponsored by

Personal training from home gym

1,466 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MarleyFeed97
newhowdyag2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I posted on the H&F forum but haven't received any traction. Original post:

I have a gym attached to my garage (has a/c) with all the equipment you'd need (powerblocks up to 90lbs, smith machine, squat rack, treadmill, etc).

I have a couple successful transformations of people who asked to work out with me at the gym in the past (best example is a fatty who couldn't bench 185lbs and squat was ATROCIOUS to benching 315 and squating 350 while reducing bf to the 10% range...took almost two years to get him there).

Ive been thinking to get a PT cert and trying to train from my home gym in Conroe. Any suggestions/advice? I think the biggest thing is insurance coverage for my self (create an LLC to protect my assets?).

***I called my insurance broker and was quoted a $1mm policy for $515/year***
JBLHAG03
AG
Probably wont get many clients calling people fatties.
newhowdyag2004
Actually, some people, like the guy referenced in my original post, respond to that. Depending on the person, you adjust your approach.
htxag09
AG
Agreed, but a blanket statement on the internet, where you don't know your audience, probably won't do you any favors.
Duncan Idaho
Just make sure you have a black leather couch in the garage for "training " all of your clients that are in unhappy marriages
Astroag
AG
They may respond to that when youre training them but NO ONE wants to be referred to on some public message board as your best example fatty. Being a reformed fatty, I can be as self-deprecating as I choose but I'd expect any/all the professionals that helped to be just that, professional.

just my .02 and goodluck with your new venture

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
MarleyFeed97
AG
figure which cert program(s) you will pursue and look into those organizations... they likely have group insurance plan options, too. They may also have marketing assistance and other programs designed to help get new trainers set up.

oh, maybe check to make sure your other insurance policies are aligned with no gaps in coverage given you are working out of a home gym. will homeowners policy cover that area of the home and activities occurring within it or explicitly exclude it? will a separate policy (maybe under LLC name) be needed? insurance companies are good about finding loopholes to deny coverage so maybe not an issue but worth asking the questions I think.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.