Job Network
Sponsored by

Current salary expecations for an Entry Level Petro Engineer?

5,411 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Line up and wait 18L
espii10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will be interviewing for a position in a start-up oil and gas consulting company. With the current conditions of the industry, what should my salary expectation as an entry-level engineer. I have a feeling this will be asked, and I'd like to give a realistic range. Any advices? TIA!
wsjag
AG
Check glassdoor or salary.com for your city.
Many petro engr are having to compete with seasoned workers so the market is probably very tight with low pay if you are lucky to find work
Comeby!
AG
I would expect between 75-90k
espii10
AG
@wsjag that is indeed true. This is actually my first oil and gas job interview since I graduated last Dec. 2015. I am just so thankful I got at least an interview, and hoping that I do get the job. Thanks, I've been actually looking at glassdoor just now. I am getting an average of 100k annual. With the industry's climate, would asking for a 70,000 annual salary be an overkill?
espii10
AG
quote:
I would expect between 75-90k
Is this range still okay? Since lay-offs are still on-going...
Comeby!
AG
I would consider an offer under $70k to be insulting. Yes I know, there's not many jobs. Still, an engineering hiring manager would not do that to a kid. You can't walk into the high rollers area with $20.
Worlds Foremost Ag
AG
Salary might be lower than average at a "start-up"
espii10
AG
Can I possible say that I can start on a lower range, but I will be expecting increases as long as I perform as expected? I thought giving a lower range would be insulting, but I was also thinking that if I demand a higher salary, they might think that I am being oblivious to the current market conditions.
E
AG
Take what you can get right now. 70k is very good for a recent grad is this economy. When the market goes back up then you can negotiate with your current company for a much higher pay or bolt for another company that will pay that desired salary.
Bird Poo
AG
Don't ask for anything. Have them make the offer and then take it or leave it. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Agmechanic
AG
First person that says a number in hiring negotiations almost always loses.
SARATOGA
Regardless of industry, don't mention any numbers or salary ranges. That isn't really what the interview is for. Focus on doing a good job in the interview. Research the company and have intelligent things to say about the industry and the position.

If/when it comes to that, they will bring up the topic of money, usually with an offer letter/package. But there is no reason for you to bring it up in a 1st interview.

espii10
AG
I hope they don't ask the question. Thank you for the input y'all! At least now I know what I should expect myself to say if this ever gets brought up.
aggie028
AG
Agree with above. Don't talk about it unless they bring it up and let them come up with the number if possible. I do not think it is common for a new grad to be naming their salary.
TheMasterplan
quote:
I hope they don't ask the question. Thank you for the input y'all! At least now I know what I should expect myself to say if this ever gets brought up.
If they do ask, I would say that since you're new to the industry and with the current market that you don't have all the information you need to be able to make a legitimate judgement.
JBLHAG03
AG
How much is the job worth to you versus not having one? First interview since Dec 2015; I think ypu better be thankful for whatever they offer and take it for the experience.
biggolfboy
AG
May I ask what company you are interviewing with and how you found them?
Joseph Parrish
AG
Right now I'd take what you can get. Trust me, they know what people are going for. Not many people are hiring, so get your foot in the door, kick ass, and then ask for a raise when things turn around. A lot of companies haven't hired those types of positions for a couple of years. Get the experience, and play your cards when the time is right. It's better than not having a paycheck.
Vernada
AG
I've said similar on the B&I thread:
Be happy you are getting an interview. I really don't know why a company would hire a new grad when there are so many experienced folks that would gladly take $40/HR on a 1099 right now.
espii10
AG
I would really be thankful.
espii10
AG
quote:
May I ask what company you are interviewing with and how you found them?

@Aggie_Oil_Man I found them through Indeed. I put in my resume Monday night a few months before they called me for an interview the next day. It is a consulting engineering company for O&G firms. They wanted a reservoir engineer who is willing to also crossover to administrative tasks. One of the interviewers was an Aggie '10. I did not get the job however.
espii10
AG
quote:
I've said similar on the B&I thread:
Be happy you are getting an interview. I really don't know why a company would hire a new grad when there are so many experienced folks that would gladly take $40/HR on a 1099 right now.
Looks like I'm coming off as spiteful for getting the interview. LOL. I am thankful I got the interview, but I have been asked this question before and it seemed like a trick question more than their concern of releasing those paychecks to me if they get it. I wanted to give the right impression for the interviewers since I really want to get a job in my field. Too bad I did not get it. I am just happy that they did consider me at some point.
Vernada
AG
Sorry to hear it didn't go your way.
espii10
AG
Vernada said:

Sorry to hear it didn't go your way.
Thank you.
Line up and wait 18L
Hang in there and good luck.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.