Job Network
Sponsored by

Looking for Mud Engineer Information

35,325 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by RobbDawg542
JMB_99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone on here have any experience as a mud engineer? I am looking for work environment/ hours, compensation, opportunity for advancement, etc. information with this job. I may have the opportunity for a position with one of the bigger oil companies and am looking for any info I can get.
Thanks
DrewDaven
AG
I am in a similar position. So here's a bump.
JMB_99
Bump
fletch03
AG
I am not a mud engineer, but have worked closely with them in the past. Pay is pretty good, typically work a schedule(2 weeks on, 2 off, etc.) with 12 hour days, environment is what you would expect to see on any drilling rig. Advancement probably depends on you, the company you work for, and how the industry is doing at that point in time.

If you are trying to get into the O&G industry it is a pretty good option.
JAggie2007
AG
Depends on what region and what company. Land based is mostly drive-bys with little time off, but there are rotational jobs out there. The big guys HES, MI, and Newpark will all send you to a mud school, mine was 2 months in Houston.

Advancement depends on how you work and your individual situation. The pay is pretty good, I make more than some of my engineer friends who have spent more time at their jobs than I have at mine(18 months in).
thepriceisright24
AG
I'm working as a mud engineer in South Texas currently. I work 7 days on 7 days off. I stay in a trailer on rig site while im working. Sometimes you don't get much sleep. The trailers are usually pretty decent. Mud school was 8 weeks in houston. I have a company truck and all my groceries are paid for when I work. Just post any questions you have I'll keep an eye on this thread.
JMB_99
Thanks for all the responses.

What type of advancement opportunities do Mud Engineers have?
If given the opportunity, is it better to be on-shore or off-shore?
TOUCHDOWN!
I'll piggyback off of this thread if I can, so we don't have an entire first page of o/g posts .

I graduated in 2011 with a communication degree, but I'm coming up on about 8 months with my current position (communications/HR) and it's clear to me that I can't stand bring stuck in a cubicle all day. I've started exploring my options in the o/g industry and I've run into a few questions that hopefully someone can help me out with:

- For an entry level field position, is it viable to live in a completely different city from where the oil field is? My girlfriend has one more year of school left before she graduates with her masters and she already has a nice gig lined up in DFW. If possible, I would like to be able to work at one location and drive/fly back to dfw to live when I'm off.
- Most of the mud logging positions I've seen require some field experience or a geology degree. Are there entry-level mud logging positions out there for people with no technical background?

Thanks for any help!

[This message has been edited by TOUCHDOWN! (edited 5/29/2012 8:03a).]
montanagriz
S
Bump
Ibleedmaroon!
@the priceisright24... Do you have any personal contacts you would be willing to share or happen to know if your company is hiring? I am a 2006 Construction Science graduate and possibly looking at getting into O &G. I was thinking mud engineer just because it seems like a balance in inside/outside work. Would this be a fair assumption? I would like to visit with someone to see if my thoughts are consistent with what you actually do as a mud engineer. I have no personal contacts in O & G so any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Till the day I die!
Ibleedmaroon!
@thepriceisright24.. I forgot to leave my email address. You can email me at Ibleedmarroon@yahoo.com with any info. Thanks.

Till the day I die!
thepriceisright24
AG
Email sent.
TxAgg07
AG
Priceisright, my email is in my profile if you don't mind shooting me a message.
daily_texian
@thepriceisright ( and all O&G Ags ):

I'm also in south Texas local in the Cuero/Victoria and want to get into drilling fluids, geotechnical or surface logging. Truth is, many O&G positions seem interesting but I just can't decide which path would be best. I've researched some drilling fluid engineer schools for about $10-12k for 2 months of training, but that seems steep for no job guarantee. What's the best way to go about this? How to get on with one of these technical companies at the entry level and maybe get trained up in Houston or apprentice with a team in the area?

My degree is just a BA in politics but I took several geology classes and have a CDL. Anyone have any advice, guidance or suggestions for a 28 year old with no children and a tank full of gas?

Contact me at:

dailytexian@gmail.com
daily_texian
Wow that first sentence made no sense thanks to autocorrect and the fact I can't figure out now to edit an existing post.

Also, I'd like to second someone's suggestion to make an O&G board for the site.
Bird Dog
AG
Mud engineering is better than mudlogging. The work/life balance is also better than many other jobs like MWD. You should try and get hired on with one of the bigger companies like Baroid, MI Swaco, Baker Hughes DF, or Newpark. They have good training. You could also try smaller companies like Horizon or Anchor. I wouldn't pay for one of those independent mud schools, it's a waste of money and most companies would prefer to train new guys themselves. The pay probably starts out around $50k/yr and after 2-3 yrs you'll be making 75-100.
montanagriz
S
Bird Dog,

How do you get into any of those companies schools? I do not have a geology degree nor engineering degree.

I have a BS in Exercise Science and I have 3 years of O&G working for NOV/MD Totco as a field service technician. Would someone with my background have a chance?
Bird Dog
AG
If you get hired they will send you to mud school as part of your training. Most mud engs in this country don't even have a college degree, and the ones that do probably aren't engineers or geologists. In foreign countries that's a different story, many of them are chemists or chemical engineers. So, you have a good shot.
JAggie2007
AG
Montana, experience in the industry is definitely a plus, but certainly not a requirement. I only had B2B sales experience before I started as a mud engineer. The big guys that hire you will all want to send you to a mud school, and if they send you to a mud school I believe most will make you sign a contract to not go to a competitor within a certain amount of time or you will owe them the full price of the contract(mine was 2 years).

If you know someone in the company it would help you get hired. We have hired about 3-4 mud engineers that paid for their own school but most of our guys went to our own down in Houston. The biggest problem with our company is
our mud school classes are just too filled up and it's months before we can get those guys into the field, hence us having to go the self paid mud school route for a few of our guys.
montanagriz
S
How do I get in? How did you get accepted into mud program after sales experience? I have checked the career section in different companies.

Is there a private school in Houston I can attend? I saw the school located in Oklahoma and one in Tyler, tx. Is there a private school that can be recommended if I cannot figure out a way to get into the bigger companies programs. I have 3 years experience as a field service technician with NOV/MD Totco so I understand the 24 hours 7days a week schedule and commitment required. Just need to get foot in the door.
JAggie2007
AG
I met an Aggie here that was working with the company that helped me get my foot in the door. I know at one point a few months ago we were getting a bunch of resumes, but the only ones being considered were ones with mud experience or referrals. I think we're just like every other industry out there and it's much easier to a foot in the door when you know someone already working there.

As far as private schools in Houston, I haven't heard of any. I believe our recent hires that paid their own way went to the one in Tyler. Our biggest obstacle is our slow hiring process and our mud schools being so full. We also really need guys relatively local since most of our rotation jobs are taken and the majority of our rigs out here in the Permian are drive by checks which are 3-5 rigs every day without much time off.
italaggie11
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I too am eager about getting into the industry. I would like to learn everything from the ground up. If anybody has an information, please feel free to email me at phillipgreco@yahoo.com
matt13tx
quote:
I'm working as a mud engineer in South Texas currently. I work 7 days on 7 days off. I stay in a trailer on rig site while im working. Sometimes you don't get much sleep. The trailers are usually pretty decent. Mud school was 8 weeks in houston. I have a company truck and all my groceries are paid for when I work. Just post any questions you have I'll keep an eye on this thread.
matt13tx
@thepriceisright24 Hi I will be graduating from college soon with my bachelors in Computer Information Systems. I am wanting to go into the oil industry as a mud engineer. I have heard about the Mud School in Houston (Mud Tech Lab. I believe that is the name). Do you have any pointers or advice? I am 23, I have a full time job working for a major insurance company. I am in San Antonio, Texas.

If you can e-mail me I would greatly appreciate it.

Matt13tx@yahoo.com
LucyInTheSky
I've been looking for a mud school. Does anyone know of any or if any are better than the others?

I'd love to be a mud engineer. I'm half-way through my chemistry degree, but know I'd be happiest working as a mud engineer, so I'd rather just go to a mud school.

Also, I'm a female...does anyone know if this would hinder me getting a job in this field?

If anyone would prefer to email me, they can:
lucyinthemud@gmail.com
07fta07
AG
quote:
@thepriceisright24 Hi I will be graduating from college soon with my bachelors in Computer Information Systems. I am wanting to go into the oil industry as a mud engineer. I have heard about the Mud School in Houston (Mud Tech Lab. I believe that is the name). Do you have any pointers or advice? I am 23, I have a full time job working for a major insurance company. I am in San Antonio, Texas.

If you can e-mail me I would greatly appreciate it.

Matt13tx@yahoo.com

Haven't been to his school, but is a customer of ours. The owner, Bob Evans, is an Aggie.
PJK85
quote:

Hey priceisright, can you give me your email address? for some reason, it won't let me pm on the forum. I just wanted some more information on mud engineering. Just can't figure out which way I should go -- mwd or mud engineering.
CrossBowAg99
AG
You have to buy stars to PM
RobbDawg542
I have been looking into DFE mud school in Tyler but I cannot just cough up 13k. Is there anything else possible to get into the field because all these schools are private and I cannot find any state funding .. I just really want to get it and develop a career . Please feel free to email me. Robby.silverwings@yahoo.com
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.