Job Network
Sponsored by

Any Halliburton employees or ex-employees?

53,508 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Manny123
12thDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in the application process right now for a Field Engineer position. Any input about the position, the pay, promotion possibilities, etc., would be appreciated.

I've done some research and I know that it will be hard work, with long hours and a lot of travel. I've been looking for a while though, and I need a job that pay's well (for my family's sake), and from what I've heard, it does pay well.
anscag07
AG
What type of "Field Engineer" job are you looking at. I am a MWD Field Engineer for a service company.

Let me know what kind of questions you have.

Gig Em
big ben
AG
I have a buddy making about 80K with them fresh out of a&m last may, but they are working him to death.
allknowinag82
Are you mechanical or petroleum?

I know many of these companies REALLY want solid mechanical engineers right now. But, you can't go wrong with either!
12thDude
AG
I'm in the application process so I'm still waiting to go to my first interview. So I'm not sure which job within the Field Engineer position I would be at. That's a question I was going to ask them, do I have a preference or do they put me where there is a need? I've heard of the MWD job, but I don't think that was an option according to the job description http://www.halliburton.com/public/careers/pubsdata/gofurther/subpages/field_engineer.html

I don't have either one of those degrees, I actually have a Wildlife degree but a buddy of mine was just hired and he has a Rangeland Mgmt. degree, so I'm assuming my degree shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the help so far.
anscag07
AG
Well, seems to me, they have left the door wide open as far as what type of "field engineer" you could be.

Here's all I can say with my experience, the money is good, very good actually. But the last two years I have spent 260+ days away from the house. Now, if you put the math to it, you may think oh well thats just like a monday - friday job and still having the weekend off. Until you consider that both of the last two years I had to use my two weeks of paid vacation for 14 of the days I had off. I have also worked on Christmas day two out of three years, Thanksgiving day two years. And like I said when I say I was gone for work I mean gone, I only slept in my bed 100 nights a year for the last two years.

So, in closing, if you have no reason to be at the house and can handle boredom, great job. If you like going home and having your own dog recognize you, well you may be in trouble.

FWIW

Gig Em
crudedriller
AG
I worked for big blue for about 4 years; here's a synopsis:

- Good Pay
- Better than average benefits
- 200+ days/year travel (not the greatest of locations either)
- Complete loss of a social life
- Eat, sleep and breath your work

Be it big red, big blue or other, there all about the same. You may be different, but I viewed, and have advised others, to view these types of positions as stepping stones. The hands on experience you'll gain is golden to an operator or another big fish up the stream. Prepare yourself... Oilfield work is another world.

P.S. - You'll be refered to as 'fish' or 'hand' for about a year, or until fresher meat comes along.
Cooter0412
AG
I am a Frac Engineer at Halliburton. All of the above is true to a certain extent. Really depends on the area and what psl you work for. If you have any specific questions let me know.
rockhound98
I worked for Halliburton as a wireline engineer for a couple of years. It was good pay and job bonuses made it even better. Promotions were our responsibility. Some people would work as hard as they could and be out of the field in 2-3 years. Others got addicted to that non-office lifestyle and big paychecks and never wanted to leave the field. This job isn't for everybody and if you're married or have a significant other they're going to have to adjust to your non-typical schedule. I enjoyed my time in the field (for the most part) and worked with some great people. However, when I had my first child, it was tough missing birthdays and holidays and I eventually went to work for an E&P company. Every chance I get to get back in the field I take it. An old geologist once told me "a bad day in the field is better than a good day at the office".
12thDude
AG
Thanks fellas, I appreciate the help. Everything y'all said are things I somewhat knew, but its good to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

I do have some concerns over family life. Obviously, this job is better suited for a single person, but times are tough and I'm willing to sacrifice family time for a few years so I can support them the best I can. If you have a family, has it had a great impact or do you get used to the schedule?

Also, is there a typical schedule of being on and off, for example, 2 weeks on 1 week off? Or is it always different? During your off time, is that guaranteed, or do they tell you have a week off and then 3 days into your week off, they say they need you to come in?
12thDude
AG
rockhound, when I started my reply, your post wasn't on there yet. Thanks for the comments about family life. I know it will be difficult, but I'm having trouble finding something in College Station that pays worth a damn, so sacrificing family time for a good paying job just seems to be the only option at this point.
rockhound98
TexAG-if your family is on board with this job opportunity then you're well ahead of the curve. I remember alot of new guys that came in thinking that they would have weekends and holidays off with their girlfriends/wives. They didn't last. The guys that were successful were a.) single and workaholics or b.) had family support and were workaholics. Even with family support it can still be tough. I'll admit that after missing multiple turkey-days and Christmas I got tired of that and so did my wife. Like I said, promotions (in wireline, not sure about frac) are up to you and when you get out of the field you can just about do anything within the company...with a much better schedule.
SaltyTxAg
AG
TexAg2005,

I am a Field Engineer for a service company as well, and it is for sure is a love hate relationship with this line of work. I am on the Coiled Tubing side, and they are probably going to make you work as a "hand" for a bit to get familiar with the equipment and operations out in the field. Like the guys have been saying in earlier posts, when there is work, you are up and working. It is 24/7, 365 days a year, days off are non existent, but the pay is great. Completions is not like the drilling side of the oilfield, you don't work 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, it just doesn't work like that. When jobs get called in, whether it is 2AM or 3PM, you are expected to get up and get on the road right then and there. Lots of driving.

Going back to earlier post, to prosper in the oilfield, you need field experience, bottom line, otherwise you will not be taken seriously at any point in your career. It is definitely a stepping stone, and you are going to be promoted, its just a matter of when not if. Also, it is a very old school mentality out here, you have to earn respect and not afraid to get dirty every now and then. It is all about who you know, but more importantly, who knows you!

"Christ almighty, it's like I'm sittin' here playing cards with my brother's kids or somethin' you nerve-wracking sons-of-*******."

[This message has been edited by SaltyTxAg (edited 3/12/2010 11:28a).]
schwabbin
AG
I went up and visited a buddy in Grand Junction, CO who just graduated tu and is a field engineer for them (cement). He said it requires some long hours (he works a 10-4 schedule) and the pay is decent. They have a high turnover rate. Most of the guys he works with dont necessarily enjoy the work but know that it will open up alot of other doors here in the next couple years. I can tell you that while I was there I met about 10 of the guys he works with and not one of them I didnt like. I think it would be worth a shot to gain some experience.
aw08
As an Ocean Engineer graduating in the next few years, are there any rotational jobs available for recent graduates?
TheMasterplan
I was a Field Engineer Intern last summer in Bakersfield. I did cement (90% of the time), frac and coiled tubing.

Cement is definitely the worst in my opinion because drilling rigs DO NOT STOP. You can spend up to four days on location. You do get a little more freedom though since you are an engineer. The type of job varies but to me it got a little redundant. Wouldn't mind doing it for a little bit though. I did oil and Geothermal wells. Geothermal is pretty sick even though I was in Hills Have Eyes territory w/ no phone signal.

Frac requires long days...sometimes gotta go overnight but more than likely 15-20 hour days and go to the hotel. Job is more high tech than cement.

Coiled Tubing requires long days but you also go to the hotel overnight and get up early and do it again. Coiled Tubing is badass.

All the jobs are really cool but you gotta be a badass and not complain. You gotta be able to perform after being up for 24 hours. It's tough.

Plus, it's the only job where it's ok to take naps on the job.

[This message has been edited by TheMasterplan (edited 3/13/2010 2:03p).]
12thDude
AG
Thanks again for all the input, y'all have answered everything I was wanting to know about the on-site work and lifestyle.

Now all I need to do is get the job. Any helpful tips for the interview? I've got a pretty diverse resume, I've been an intern in DC but I've also worked on a couple of ranches as a hand. When interviewing, I'm assuming I should focus on more of the manual labor jobs I've had. What do you think helped you get the job?

Also, I recently got into some trouble with the law and now I have a class B misdemeanor for "obstructing a highway" on my record and I'm on probation as well. What I did wasn't terrible, but being on probation doesn't sound good no matter how you look at it. Do y'all think this will be an issue?
anscag07
AG
It shouldnt be a big deal. I have a Class B on my record and had no problems, but I wasnt currently on probation, so I'm not sure how that will affect you. But for the most part I would say don't worry about it.

Gig Em
12thDude
AG
Thanks anscag07, I'm hoping it won't be an issue.
motherlover
BTW cementing and frac jobs are LOUD, take care of your ears!
coscaggie
AG
So tell me more about this type of work. What type of degrees usually get into this? Is it just working in the field on oil & Gas construction projects? What type of companies do you work for, Oil field service companies like Jacobs, haliburtun, flour, KBR?

I might have a job offer working in Austin M-F for a concrete company then having the weekends off but the pay is good but not great. I don't have kids just a wife and shes willing to do whatever it takes for me to work. If this is good money maybe I'll look further into it.
tommyjohn
Coscag,

Your service companies are more like Halliburton, Schlumberger, Baker Hughes, BJ Services, NOV. They provide everything from drill bits to downhole chemicals and cementing services. Those field engineers would be assigned to a area say the Barnett shale near Ft. Worth and be responsible for a certain product for all the rigs in the area.

coscaggie
AG
thanks tommy
12thDude
AG
coscaggie,

I'll pass your resume along to Halliburton after my interview. I believe they are looking to hire around 20 guys, but applying is only on a referral basis right now. There are Field Engineer jobs you can apply for through the Halliburton website, but letting me pass your resume along would probably be a safer bet.

As far as I can tell, your degree isn't a big deal, I have a Wildlife degree, and my buddy who was just hired has a Rangeland Management degree. I think they would prefer an engineering background, but its not required.

coscaggie
AG
When is your interview? I find out Monday on this job in Austin so I will know for sure by Tuesday/Wednesday if I'm going to do it or not.

[This message has been edited by coscaggie (edited 3/18/2010 4:33p).]
12thDude
AG
Next week sometime, still waiting to hear from them on which day.
12thDude
AG
Finally got an interview set up for the Sperry Drilling/MWD Field Engineer position. Any words of advice for the interview, as far as what they want to hear? Should I mention my family at all?
anscag07
AG
Something that they will be wanting to hear, or some variation of is "I will be willing to go wherever, whenever."

Other than that if you have any computer skills I would be sure to mention them. Other than that, sounds like its yours to lose now.

Good Luck.

Gig Em
tylang06
Being an MWD hand is pretty simple. They'll break you out as a "directional only" hand, then they'll start working you into running the more complex packages that include gamma ray and other various logs.

What they are looking for first and foremost is dependability. When they call you, they expect you to pick up and go, right then, no questions asked. There's nothing wrong with mentioning your family, and it's not like they don't want you to have one, they just want to know that you understand that you'll miss things like Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, birthdays, etc. Obviously, you won't always miss them, but from time to time you will.

I've spent all of the above holidays, and others, on the rig floor of a drilling rig. It's worth it in the long run, if you like the oil and gas industry. The more willing you are to go and do and sit and learn, the faster you'll move up. And don't take offense when you're called a "Worm", because you are one! haha, JK, but get used to that...
aw08
is it possible for a recent engineering grad to get a job as either a directional driller or MWD? What is the advancement through the company like after becoming a directional driller? I know that most jobs require 24/7 on call, but arn't there jobs on rotation that are 2 on 2 off or 3 on 3 off etc?
Post removed:
by user
anscag07
AG
Unless you know the right people, the odds of starting off as a directional driller with no downhole knowledge (ie Driller, Derrick Man, MWD Hand) are very very slim.

Gig Em
Tag77
Halliburton's motto:

We dont care if it rains or sleets, we be there as soon as we eats.
tylang06
I was offered a DD job out of school, but I had lots of oilfield experience by then. As another poster mentioned, unless you know someone that can get you that job, or you have a lot of field experience, I wouldn't count on getting a DD job. One of the main job responsibilities of a DD requires knowledge of running a rig. Anytime you slide as a DD, you're on the brake handle, which requires intimate knowledge of the driller's console.

That being said, it's not impossible to get a DD job, but it's highly unlikely.
tylang06
Also, I forgot to comment on the work schedule. The bigger companies (Halliburton, Baker Hughes) sometimes work set schedules, but every directional driller I've ever used has stayed on location for the duration of the job, only calling out relief if he absolutely had to (family issue, court date, etc.). I've never had a directional driller that requested less days... just food for thought
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.