Job Network
Sponsored by

Any Halliburton employees or ex-employees?

53,664 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Manny123
TheMasterplan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How'd it go bro?
KT_Ag08
AG
quote:
Finally got an interview set up for the Sperry Drilling/MWD Field Engineer position. Any words of advice for the interview, as far as what they want to hear? Should I mention my family at all?

I will start working for the recruiting/HR division of this group here in the next couple of weeks. Working on finalizing the offer and doing the exciting negotiations stuff.
12thDude
AG
I'm finally interviewing this Wednesday/Thursday. Ol' Big Red moves a little slow when it comes to the hiring process, but that's expected for a huge company.

According to my buddy, it will be another couple weeks after the interview before I hear about an offer, but I'll keep y'all posted.

KT_Ag08, maybe I'll be seeing you here in the near future.

matthopp
AG
curious, define "great pay". Base, bonus, and are you including per diem?
KT_Ag08
AG
If you spend any time at the North Belt office then you very well may.
aTm2004
AG
KT-

Do you currently work there? I've applied for a couple of positions but have not heard anything. About how long is it between when somebody applies to when they should hear something?
KT_Ag08
AG
I won't start there for another week or so.

However, the cycle there is a little slow at times especially during peak times like now so give it another couple of weeks.
JD Shellnut
AG
Honest question...how physically demanding is the work? The reason I ask, is that it sounds like work I may be interested in, but I have a physical disability. Would it be comparable to being a roughneck?
12thDude
AG
Drifter,

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly is your disability? After my interview this week, I should be able to answer your question. If you have a slight limp, you might be ok, but if you are wheelchair bound it might be a different story.

From the way everybody commented and from the research I've done, it is certainly hard work, but I think it's more related to the long hours, travel, etc., rather than demanding physical labor like digging ditches. I do know that some of the jobs within the field engineer position are more physically demanding than others. I could be completely wrong, someone correct me if I am.
aTm2004
AG
From what I'm understanding from this thread is an engineering degree isn't required for this position? I've read this thread and the links in it and the position sounds interesting, but I don't see anything posted on their website.
aw08
I'm really interested in starting off as an MWD and eventually working up to DD. I'll be graduating next may with an ocean/civil degree from A&M. I have a lot of leadership experience but no oil field experience. Is there anything I can to do set myself up better to get a job in the field?
xMusashix
AG
Internships and Co-ops are best at making connections.

Perhaps you might be interested in finding out more about this type of work at Shell's drilling camp. I am sure other companies have similar programs, but this is the one that I know about.

http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa/aboutshell/careers/students_and_graduates/development/drillingcamp/camp_info.html
JD Shellnut
AG
TexAg2005

I have torn a few muscles (including having my pectoralis major rupture) in my shoulder/chest on my left hand side. Docs tell me surgery won't help, that I just have to learn to live with it. I can't lift/push anything over 25 lbs with my left arm. I plan on working in the oil/gas industry one day, since I am pursuing a geology degree. I'm just worried that if manual labor is involved, that my injury could be an issue for me.

[This message has been edited by Drifter2123 (edited 4/14/2010 2:17a).]
fletch03
AG
Drifter, the only physically demanding work is carrying the tool to the rig when picking it up, and then carrying it back once you lay down. It is usually no further than 50-75 yards, but the tool can weight up to 300 pounds. You will have two people carrying it, and you can sometimes convince a rig hand to help you out as well.

If your right arm is fine, then I wouldn't think it would be a problem since you pretty much carry it on your shoulder.
tylang06
aw, what are your plans this summer? And, are you opposed to some physically demanding work?

Through my job, I've got some rig contractors that would not be opposed to taking a worm roughneck for 3 months.
aw08
I will be studying abroad this summer actually. Thank you very much for the offer but I've already paid for the trip. :/

Just curious though, what exactly would I be doing for the job?
tylang06
You'd be a roughneck. Typically that means, tripping pipe, keeping the rig and all its components clean and maintained, helping monitor the mud and making the proper additions to the mud, etc. A roughneck does a lot of things really, and if you're looking to learn a rig, there is no better way than to work on one.

If you have designs to one day be in operations for an operating company, the experience of being on a rig, even if only for a short period of time, are invaluable. Before I came to the office I had a good deal of rig time, as a roughneck then as a fishing tool supervisor, and that experience has helped me beyond measure in my career. That, and the fact that if your field people know you've spent time on a rig, they can identify with you, and you with them, a little better than if you went straight to the office out of school. There really is no substitute for having field level experience, both for your own knowledge and for at least some amount of respect from the field personnel.
12thDude
AG
tylang,

I might be interested in that offer if I don't get an offer from Halliburton.

I'm still waiting to hear from them but I didn't feel confident walking away from my interview. Some of their questions threw me off that I was not expecting. They wanted to know what sort of mechanical background I had, which is not much, besides basic maintenance on my truck and messing around with my dirtbike, lawnmower, etc. They even asked me if I had ever changed the break pads on my car?! By the way everyone commented, I just thought they would be more concerned about making sure I knew about all the travel and long hours. They also said they teach everything you need to know, so I though my background didn't matter, but apparently they want you to have some mechanical knowledge/interest.

If I don't get an offer I'm hoping I can apply again down the road, but in the meantime, it would help to gain some experience in the field.

Let me know tylang, thanks.

[This message has been edited by TexAg2005 (edited 4/16/2010 12:35p).]

[This message has been edited by TexAg2005 (edited 4/16/2010 12:36p).]
tylang06

[This message has been edited by tylang06 (edited 4/16/2010 5:25p).]
SaltyTxAg
AG
They were testing you if you were a "manly man" and if you have any mechanical interest, just like you said. Luckily, my dad is a whiz with mechanical systems and carpentry , and every other weekend, we would be working on something around the house while I was growing up. That gave me a huge advantage when I had to work in the field, I didn't seem as big of a pu**y, and the guys out there will let you know if you are one. Just be open minded, you are going to say to yourself, "what the hell did I get myself into," alot so, just be prepared, but you'll adjust.

"Christ almighty, it's like I'm sittin' here playing cards with my brother's kids or somethin' you nerve-wracking sons-of-*******."
KT_Ag08
AG
You boys hear anything yet?

12thDude
AG
I didn't get an offer from Halliburton. Like I said in a previous post, I pretty much knew I wasn't going to get an offer after I left my interview. I just didn't feel good about the way it went.

On the bright side though, thanks to tylang06, another opportunity came up and I'm now working for Leam Drilling Systems as an MWD Engineer. I certainly didn't expect this to be the outcome, but it worked out for the best in the end, and all because I asked a simple question on here.

This board and the Aggie network kick ass!
KT_Ag08
AG
Glad to hear it worked out. As of right, I believe we are still actively looking for MWDs and DDs in my PSL.
anscag07
AG
KT,

who do you work for if you dont mind me asking?

I am currently an MWD, and may be looking to change companies.

Gig Em
KT_Ag08
AG
Big Red
OldArmy1606
if your in geology, you could also go into mudlogging. I did that for a little bit. It might be worth it to you.

It wasn't for me, or at least the company i was with. I thought it was a waste of time for me. Oil & Gas wasn't a particular industry I was ever interested in, despite the money.
fitchfootball02
KT, could you forward me any relevant information. I am interested in getting started in oil business. Thanks. fitchfootball02@yahoo.com
aw08
anscag07,

Do you like being an MWD? What do you most like, dislike about the job? What would be considered an entry level position in the O&G industry as far as drilling goes?
anscag07
AG
I wear jeans and t-shirts to work, cussing isn't looked down upon (or in the field anyway), good pay, not physically demanding (unless doing a job by yourself), get to see some nice places (and some crappy ones), I don't have to be out in the elements all that much.

Dislikes:

I sleep in my own bed about 5 nights a month, I am on call 24/7/365 (except on my 2 weeks official vacation), I have to be inside on nice days watching my computers.

MWD is probably the best entry level job you can get (as far as pay anyway). Once, you get the MWD side down, it would make things a lot easier to swap over to the directional side.

Gig Em
keith4142
Hello, my name is Keith Hamann and I am actively trying to obtain a MWD Field position. I am a Geology Graduate and fortunately single and no kids. I believe I am a perfect fit for this position! Can anyone offer any advice or help on getting a job?

keith.hamann@mavs.uta.edu

Thank you
ecoag80
AG
Anyone have insight into the employment "contract" used by a large firm for their training and entry level field positions. I have a friend who has one to sign and although very basic it includes some things contrary to what was discussed. Can these be individually negotiated and amended ? They have provisions which may obligate a reimbursement of training costs if one resigns or is terminated with cause. "With cause" is very open ended. Just curious if anyone has insight into these agreements.
KT_Ag08
AG
That contract will not be negotiable. If you don't sign it you won't be working. It is to protect the company from dumping a ton of money into training you and then have you jump ship. HAL specifically is a training ground for the smaller service companies that don't have the time or money to pour into training their field employees. It isn't meant to dick your friend over in any way, only protect the investment of the company.
ecoag80
AG
The way I read the agreement is that the training costs are to be reimbursed at anytime through the end of the agreed upon period. The full reimbursement would be due even if the person is terminated the day before the end of that agreed upon period. Seems very loose to me. Also, the compensation agreement excludes the per diem wage which was discussed. It was explained that the per diem was in addition to the agreed upon number in the agreement and the per diem inferred in the agreement. Great company and opportunity but just a few oddities in the agreement.
KT_Ag08
AG
Terminated for cause. That doesn't include any sort of RIF. Basically, it is saying if you fail out of class you are paying us back.

They are trying to recover the costs of hotels, per diem and mileage. That is what they consider their recoverable expenses. That does not include instructors, facilities, salary, etc.

If I remember correctly, it is a lump sum of either $30k or $35k that your friend would owe the company if he terminated prior to the date on the offer letter/repayment agreement. That is for the Sperry DD training program. If you are referencing the Baroid repayment agreement than I am not sure what the hard numbers are on that.
gunnarpeter
hello i just had my interview with halliburton yesterday and i think it went pretty good and i'm expecting an offer email.currently i'm on probation for a corruption of minors until june of next yearwill this affect me being accepted into the company once i complete my background check? was wondering if anyone had any experience or know of any stories where an employee was currently on probation
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.