geology department scholarships?

739 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by flipper94
flipper94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We were told there were many scholarships available for the school of geology but having a hard time finding where to apply for these. Any geology folks out there have some insight?
sek92
AG
My daughter and son in law graduated in geology this past year. She got the school scholarships first. And then once she was in the program, her grades got her the geology continuing Ed scholarships. She didn't do anything extra when she applied to school but they came to her when they saw her grades.
She received texas a&m scholarships and then as she continued on the professors helped her. She got enough to pay for school ( the big one though was the a&m one)
Big thing is, geology (at least the petroleum side) was funded by a group (forget the name). They are no longer funding the petroleum geology. A pretty big hit for the department. So don't know how that will work. They funded her entire 5th year. (She did the 5/1 thing) Have not been impressed, since geology moved to a different college.
Again, alot of her scholarships came from that foundation institute and I don't know how that will work now.

Good thing is, geology is very small and they will get lots of help from the professors , advising is hit or miss.
Also, big thing is, work for those internships.
flipper94
AG
Thanks, great info. She did not receive any scholarships from the University so hoping we can find some other options. The tours of the geology department were very impressive and professors seemed very open and eager to help. She is still trying to choose between A&M and UT. Hoping for the best and a decision this week. She is planning on the 5 year masters program as well. Basically she wants to go to school at A&M but wants to live in Austin...

Did your daughter and son in law generally enjoy the Geology program and coursework? Companies recruit pretty well through the Geology department?
sek92
AG
Yes it was awesome! This is all petroleum geology. She got 3 internships which is highly needed. Got hired immediately. Her master advisors are both well known in the industry. When she was looking for schools, we went to school of mine and the lead there and our guy are best friends and he highly recommended a&m. Her graduating class only had 8 kids, my son in law had 9. So everyone knows everyone. Lots of field trips.

A&m is very know for their hands on experiences, tu known for research. I favor the hands on.
Again, the funding has been cut since moving to arts and science so I don't know what will happen. They funded alot. Get involved in all the geology orgs, she received funding from that too.
Being self motivated and getting involved in the orgs and associations will be highly beneficial.

I can't say enough about it but my daughter was very motivated and very involved. My son is a junior in HS is going into geoscience but not petroleum geology. So we will do it all over again.
I will say once you get the internships, getting a job is hard but if you do, oh boy. O & G people treat you well.

Once she gets started and can get good grades, the geology scholarships will start showing up. All the kids that graduated with her dec'22 all got hired. The advisors for her masters are awesome. The academic advisors are typical. Lots of married couple professors. Seems geologists marry geologists. Tu is great but very focused on research part, aggieland is very experience oriented. I wouldn't trade her experience for anything. My son in law is doing his last internship this summer and hopefully will be hired with that company.
flipper94
AG
Congrats to all! Sounds like you have a whole flock of rock doctors. Great information and truly appreciate you sharing. Fingers crossed for me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.