Engineering Galveston vs engineering academies

1,601 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by aggie93
SteveA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son was offered engineering at Galveston, where he would spend 2 semesters there and then move to main campus. We are also looking in tot he engineering academies at Collin college and Dallas county. Is there an advantage to going to Galveston over one of th academies of the goal is the finish up on main campus?
AggieAdvisor16
AG
Not at all. Only benefit I can see with GV is he could get a sports pass and drive up for football games. The actual process of transitioning to main campus will be identical.
aggie93
AG
SteveA said:

My son was offered engineering at Galveston, where he would spend 2 semesters there and then move to main campus. We are also looking in tot he engineering academies at Collin college and Dallas county. Is there an advantage to going to Galveston over one of th academies of the goal is the finish up on main campus?
Not technically but Galveston definitely has the most connection of any of the campuses. Sports passes are great as they actually get first pull. The classes are small, most under 30 and the biggest around 80. There aren't a ton of on campus activities but it's a good place to go and focus.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
SteveA
AG
Thanks!
Furlock Bones
AG
aggie93 said:

SteveA said:

Not technically but Galveston definitely has the most connection of any of the campuses. Sports passes are great as they actually get first pull. The classes are small, most under 30 and the biggest around 80. There aren't a ton of on campus activities but it's a good place to go and focus.
unless your like my buddy. spent more time fishing than studying. eventually went to UH to get his head on straight. does very well now.
aggie93
AG
Furlock Bones said:

aggie93 said:

SteveA said:

unless your like my buddy. spent more time fishing than studying. eventually went to UH to get his head on straight. does very well now.
My son actually took the advice of one of the profs after he started, take a lot of hours and stay busy. Thing about Galveston is it is hard to be a little distracted. You either get really distracted or not at all as there aren't a ton of activities on campus. If you go off campus often it's very easy to lose track of time at the beach or fishing or whatever.

My son is taking 22 hours this Semester and took 23 last, he'll graduate in 3 years at current pace and crushing his grades. It scared me at first but he truly does do better staying busy.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Farmer_J
Is he planning on transferring to main campus?
aggie93
AG
Farmer_J said:

Is he planning on transferring to main campus?
No, he's a Maritime Transportation Major and they don't have a ship or an ocean there.

Ronald Reagan
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.