Newest US News rankings

10,508 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BoDog
fourth deck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rapelor now ahead of us:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

I know, I know, it's US News and relying on high school counselors to accurately rank research universities is laughable. However, the downward slide A&M has taken is ridiculous. We were low 50's when I started undergrad.
Ag13
AG
ya but we are the best value college out there! and we made the playoffs in every sport! and we are the biggest school in Texas!

so things are looking good
Hotdog Hamblin
AG
Wow. I remember being in the low 50s. Why are we sliding so much?
histag10
AG
quote:
Wow. I remember being in the low 50s. Why are we sliding so much?

Increased enrollment leading to having to hire more professors, which means we no longer have the BEST professors, which waters down our academics, which drops our rankings.

Basically Vision 100k instead of Vision 2020

AggieMavsfan
AG
I hate our plan to increase enrollment to 100k. It looks though like all the attention public universitiea dropped this year, and all the private schools increased. The state is cutting higher ed funding , meanwhile business is better than ever for the 1%ers at SMU.

The other thing though, is that these rankings don't make much difference when you're comparing say schools 30-90. Of course everyone wants the Harvard grad managing their clients' portfolios. But outside of New England, is anybody chomping at the bit to hire a Brandeis grad? Outside the local market for a school, you probably get more bang for your buck having a football team that plays on ESPN than you do being ranked higher on this list that very few people are really paying attention to.
aggie_fan13
AG
your whole logic is absurd and your statement that there is no difference between 30-90 is laughable at best
AggieMavsfan
AG
Ok, you're probably right. Falling in the rankings sucks. Eff Gov. Goodhair and his sycophants.
Duncan Idaho
Good god. I hope the school didn't write the text for aTm entry

quote:
. Notable alumni of Texas A&M include dozens of politicians such as U.S. Reps. Joe Barton and Louie Gohmert, and a handful of beauty pageant winners, including Miss USA Kandace Krueger and Miss Louisiana USA Melissa McConnell.

Are youb****ing kidding me. The best people they can come up with is a gomert and some beauty pageant contestants?

terata
AG
Sharp is the teason A&M's academic ranking is in a steady decline.
Ambiguous
They need to focus on quality over quantity. Grow the satellite campuses, not the College Station one.
Captain Augustus McCrae
Quote:

Texas A&M University has hit a record-high fall enrollment of 66,426 students, school officials announced Thursday.

Of that figure, 60,979 students are on the College Station campus.

Overall enrollment is up by nearly 3,000 students, including 2,464 at the College Station campus.
http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/record-number-enrolled-at-texas-a-m/article_1c45d4a5-0ccc-5386-a1ed-63013b516aac.html
TAMU bball fan
Since Sharp became Chancellor - A&M U.S. News Rankings

2011 53
2012 58
2013 65
2014 69
2015 68
2016 70
2017 74
Duncan Idaho
TAMU bball fan said:

Since Sharp became Chancellor - A&M U.S. News Rankings

2011 53
2012 58
2013 65
2014 69
2015 68
2016 70
2017 74

At that rate we should be the beauty contestants school of choice
terata
AG
Sharp is all about "corporate academia" and doesn't give a flying F about academic quality in the least. TAMU is on its way to becoming a quantity goliath that gobbles up young high school grads and craps out corporate drones.
VanZandt92
terata said:

Sharp is all about "corporate academia" and doesn't give a flying F about academic quality in the least. TAMU is on its way to becoming a quantity goliath that gobbles up young high school grads and craps out corporate drones.
VanZandt92
AggieMavsfan said:

I hate our plan to increase enrollment to 100k. It looks though like all the attention public universitiea dropped this year, and all the private schools increased. The state is cutting higher ed funding , meanwhile business is better than ever for the 1%ers at SMU.

The other thing though, is that these rankings don't make much difference when you're comparing say schools 30-90. Of course everyone wants the Harvard grad managing their clients' portfolios. But outside of New England, is anybody chomping at the bit to hire a Brandeis grad? Outside the local market for a school, you probably get more bang for your buck having a football team that plays on ESPN than you do being ranked higher on this list that very few people are really paying attention to.

I wish you had chosen a different school.
terata
AG
Are you happy with A&M becoming a mediocre diploma mill, VanZandt?
VanZandt92
terata said:

Are you happy with A&M becoming a mediocre diploma mill, VanZandt?

Me? I tried to lead a campaign about 6 or 7 years ago to stop it.
terata
AG
I'm proud of your efforts. It's time to start a campaign to take A&M back. Limit the enrollment.
VanZandt92
Listen I feel for the state of Texas and the loss that has been incurred by forcing down Texas A&M's ranking. I called alumni, emailed people, tried to find out who was influential, etc, in the matter. What I learned is that the leadership structure of state university is wrong headed and allows too much influence by certain parties. When those parties have little knowledge of higher education and they see a university as a pawn, then this is what you get.

A&M is now an experiment in what will happen when you take a shooting star and make it a diploma mill.

I no longer live in Texas, but if you see Sharp in the elevator somewhere, you know what to do.

(I know that Sharp isn't the only one to blame. Look at the Board of Regents and previous governor also. I hate to politicize things, but just look at the decisions made.)
terata
AG
I concur with you.
Token
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Quote:

. Notable alumni of Texas A&M include dozens of politicians such as U.S. Reps. Joe Barton and Louie Gohmert, and a handful of beauty pageant winners, including Miss USA Kandace Krueger and Miss Louisiana USA Melissa McConnell.

Are youb****ing kidding me. The best people they can come up with is a gomert and some beauty pageant contestants?

well A&M isn't a school that focuses on leadership and abstract thinking like UT or Rice, so most of the actually famous ags are football players. No one knows the founder of Rackspace but everyone knows Von Miller.
terata
AG
Are we, as current and former students, just totally ignored by the BOR? There's nothing we can do about the steady decline in academic quality?
VanZandt92
terata said:

Are we, as current and former students, just totally ignored by the BOR? There's nothing we can do about the steady decline in academic quality?

This is correct unless you know them. They don't answer to us, or at least not to the few of us who spoke up.
Prescient
fourth deck said:

Rapelor now ahead of us:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

I know, I know, it's US News and relying on high school counselors to accurately rank research universities is laughable. However, the downward slide A&M has taken is ridiculous. We were low 50's when I started undergrad.
What kills us in those rankings is the faculty/student ratio and our admissions rate. While perception is reality, the US News rankings are a joke.

For me, the only ranking that matters is which school has produced the most CEO's of Fortune 100 companies. That's us. Yep, ahead of Harvard, Yale, Princeton....everyone.
Prescient
terata said:

If you measure academic quality by the US News rankings, then you didn't get a very good education here. Their rankings give a lot of weight to faculty/student ratio and admissions rates. Neither is REMOTELY accurate as a measurement of academic quality.
Prescient
Token said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Quote:

well A&M isn't a school that focuses on leadership and abstract thinking like UT or Rice, so most of the actually famous ags are football players. No one knows the founder of Rackspace but everyone knows Von Miller.
That's why the US News rankings are a joke. Somehow, it's not notable to them that A&M has produced more current CEO's of Fortune 100 companies than ANY other University.
double b
AG
Prescient said:

fourth deck said:

Rapelor now ahead of us:

What kills us in those rankings is the faculty/student ratio and our admissions rate. While perception is reality, the US News rankings are a joke.

For me, the only ranking that matters is which school has produced the most CEO's of Fortune 100 companies. That's us. Yep, ahead of Harvard, Yale, Princeton....everyone.

Yep and they've produced how many more presidents than us? Also, were still twice as large as them when combined together so we should have more CEOs.

Face it, the quality of graduates as a whole continue to trend downward.
Prescient
double b said:

Prescient said:

fourth deck said:

Rapelor now ahead of us:

Yep and they've produced how many more presidents than us? Also, were still twice as large as them when combined together so we should have more CEOs.

Face it, the quality of graduates as a whole continue to trend downward.
Really? Not according to employers. The fact is kids coming out of A&M today are FAR smarter, FAR better prepared, and FAR more productive early in their careers than we were. And, they're FAR better than graduates from other schools. I know, I hire them.
AGGies0311
Diploma Mill
LoveAussie
AG
I just copied my post from another thread here

===================

Recently I had a chat with an Aggie friend who worked in education field in another country, she asked me if I know A&M ranks lower and lower every year on US News, I got shocked and went back to do some research on how US News rank the universities. Some factors like class size definitely favor small size private schools and give A&M negative impact, others like admitted average SAT scores & retention rate also don't give A&M enough justice compared to other public schools. Now UC Berkeley has more than 20% of out of state students, if it is also required to admit top 10% from all California schools, will it hold its rank? I don't think so. One can always argue that the current ranking methodology used by US News is flawed blah blah blah, but in the game, play by the rules. A high ranking and good international reputation can help a school recruit more qualified professors, get more funding, and therefore attract more students.

====================

Later I checked another ranking mechanism US News has, Best Global Universities Rankings, for which US News only considers academic factors, such as research reputation, papers, books published, citation impact factor, etc. Guess what? A&M ranks at 105, much lower than many of the "competitors", I remember more than 10 years ago I saw a similar rank and A&M ranked top 50 globally!

Some departments within A&M are very ambitious, try to boost the reputation by hiring reputable professors, hosting conference to lead the industry, it is sad to see the school in general is going a downward trend. Which is more scary is in academic field, top 50 is tier 1, top 100 is tier 2, for most smart people I talked to, they wouldn't want to work in a university ranked below top 100, which means it will be very difficult for A&M to recruit reputable professors after 5 years...
LoveAussie
AG

HoustonAg2014
AG
While I hate the fact that our school continues to drop in these rankings, the following statement couldn't be farther from the truth...

A&M doesn't focus on leadership? CEO of Exxon, Saudi Aramco and most important energy person in the world, CEO of Phillips 66, ex Texas Governor and current U.S. energy secretary, CEO of Marathon, CEO of Southwest Energy, CEO of Signa, CEO of Humana, CEO of EOG, and Tenneco CEO.

Those are just to name a few of the leaders that A&M has produced, so I cannot agree with that statement.

I am not sure who made up that list of names, but they did not do their research and do not know our school.
BigDog12
the UC System schools have a "9% rule", BUT there is more to it than that

you are guaranteed admissions to A (not your preferred, but A) UC System school if you are in the top 9% of your HS class and you have a 3.0 GPA in a set core of classes

OR

you have to be in the top 9% of ALL HS students in the state and then meet a matrix of GPA/SAT scores as well

each campus then has their own additional requirements like a higher GPA ect they go by and the more popular schools are of course more competitive

as it is now only the brand new UC Merced still guarantees admissions to ALL students that meet the above metrics and until 2010 there were other UC System schools that would also guarantee admissions to students with the above metrics

the "leadership" of john not so sharp of course had the opportunity to move towards what Ut has with the cap on the total % of students guaranteed admissions based on HS class rank, but he did not want to do that because cranking out more "good ags whoop" is more important to him than having a high quality university or attempting to elevate the desirability of other system schools (or even other non system schools) to make them more attractive and higher ranked and thus to relieve his (imaginary) need for A&M to try and carry the burden of a "quality" (and slipping) education for a massive chunk of the states HS students

the fact that tens of thousands of ADMITTED students CHOOSE other universities especially out of state would tell anyone with an ounce of common sense that the not so sharp method is a failure

because only a moron would think that students that were ADMITTED to A&M and made a CHOICE to go elsewhere made that choice because A&M was simply not large enough for them as a university

because of course growing in size (while losing reputation) is the ONLY result of the not so sharp policies and "goals"

that is ALL he is accomplishing.....admitting more students and growing enrollment that is IT......and A&M even before his stupid policies was at a point where the enrollment size was a turn off to many students (just like it can be at UT as well), but why pay any attention to that when you can simply do everything in your power to try and admit more students with metrics that have flaws in them or questions while other students that have unquestionably better metrics CHOOSE to GO ELSEWHERE

The State of Texas is not over night going to change the reputation of other universities (especially the ones in the A&M System) so that more top students choose them over out of state schools or even over UT or A&M while feeling like they made a solid choice

but the bigger reality is you have to start trying to do so if you ever want to make a difference because growing the enrollment to asinine size at A&M while dropping the reputation and student experience is certainly not helping A&M nor is it helping other schools in the state that are compared to A&M with the thought being "well A&M is a land grant flagship" so it should be one of the better schools in the state......so if they are dropping off what is going on at the other schools

a very ignorant, selfish, short sighted, stupid and foolish policy by not so sharp and it is failing miserably in all of his ridiculous perceptions of how it would work out

one can even look at the UT System as a comparison and see the ignorance of the not so sharp "leadership"

UTD is flying up the rankings....as recently as 2010 they were participants in the UT CAP program

A&M of course would rather partner with a Blinn community college than make use of their own system schools.....or maybe they can build a ridiculous waste of money campus at disaster city or put a dumpy little campus in McAlllen and pretend students there will have the "good ag whoop" experience....WHOOP!

UTA is gaining in reputation as well even if slowly and with their enrollment size now they can soon start to increase admissions standards and even UTSA is finally waking up

and while UT RGV has a long long way to go as a university they have a full med school that will help them in some ways while the A&M System was loath to even let Kingsville have a pharmacy school and they failed in the intelligent idea to merge the administration of Kingsville and Corpus.......something the RGV area was all in favor of in a major way along with getting the medical school

fire not so sharp now and do the opposite of anything and everything he was in favor of
TexasAggie89
Aggiesincebirth said:

While I hate the fact that our school continues to drop in these rankings, the following statement couldn't be farther from the truth...

A&M doesn't focus on leadership? CEO of Exxon, Saudi Aramco and most important energy person in the world, CEO of Phillips 66, ex Texas Governor and current U.S. energy secretary, CEO of Marathon, CEO of Southwest Energy, CEO of Signa, CEO of Humana, CEO of EOG, and Tenneco CEO.

Those are just to name a few of the leaders that A&M has produced, so I cannot agree with that statement.

I am not sure who made up that list of names, but they did not do their research and do not know our school.

Dude, the point is what A&M is supposedly becoming, not what it was when those guys were in school
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.