With over 67 years of combined service to liberal arts education at Texas A&M, Pamela Matthews, the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and her husband, Dennis Berthold are personally investing in liberal arts education by endowing a $104,000 gift to the program.

"A liberal arts education transforms bright young minds into well-rounded and innovative leaders who tackle complex global issues, including race and gender inequality, immigration, and foreign policy. Equipped with the skills to think critically, communicate effectively, and adapt swiftly, Liberal Arts graduates leave Texas A&M prepared for success in a broad range of careers," said the Dean.

With this in mind, Matthews is targeting three major areas for fundraising efforts in the university-wide capital campaign Lead By Example: transformational teaching and learning; trailblazing research; and meaningful civic and global engagement and outreach. However, she and Berthold wanted to personally set an example for others who are passionate about the value and importance of a liberal arts education by endowing their two gifts.

Berthold hopes his endowment will encourage instructors to think of new and creative ways to present material, as well as inspire them to pay it forward as he has done. Both he and Matthews strongly believe in the power and value of a liberal arts education and the need to give back for the betterment of future generations.

"I want to live in a world where we help create the kind of people we want to be in the world," Matthews said. "I hope others will join me in supporting the College of Liberal Arts as our faculty and students transform the world and create a better future for us all."

Learn more about the global impact of liberal arts education at Texas A&M as well as the impact of this gift for the college on our website.

Texas A&M Foundation
The Texas A&M Foundation is a nonprofit organization that receives major gifts and manages endowments for Texas A&M University. This year, the Foundation will provide $88.2 million for scholarships, faculty support, leadership programs and construction projects. Request your A&M Support Kit to learn how you can make a difference at Texas A&M through a gift to the Foundation.