What major course of study is good for a CPS career?

1,760 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JSKolache
aggieband 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

My daughter is a senior in high school this coming year. She is interested in working for Child Protective Service. She and I are looking for responses as to what major course of study TAMU or other universities offer that would be good for her to enroll in after she graduates high school. Is there a university that stands out above the rest when it comes to preparing someone for CPS work? I would love for it to be TAMU, but this is my daughters education---not mine. Anyone with insight into this, let us hear from you!

histag10
AG
I don't know about texas, but here to be a CPS case worker, you have to have at least a Bachelors in a behavioral science field (psychology, child psychology, etc.) and most prefer a masters in counseling or social work.

Edit- i don't know much about TAMUs psychology program or how it ranks, so I have no idea if that would be the right choice
Worlds Foremost Ag
AG
I'd recommend her trying it out in some capacity first. Most of the young women I know that have gone the social work route have a hard time. The work is a beat down and pay is low. Your heart really has to be in it. If it isn't, why not earn a living doing something with better earning potential and volunteer time to causes you care about as you are able.

An masters degree is pretty standard to get past the entry levels. Now you have to weigh cost of extra schooling against low earnings. Be careful...
Token
AG
quote:

My daughter is a senior in high school this coming year. She is interested in working for Child Protective Service. She and I are looking for responses as to what major course of study TAMU or other universities offer that would be good for her to enroll in after she graduates high school. Is there a university that stands out above the rest when it comes to preparing someone for CPS work? I would love for it to be TAMU, but this is my daughters education---not mine. Anyone with insight into this, let us hear from you!

Tell your daughter to get a functional college degree she can use if social worker doesn't work out, and be a volunteer social advocate on the side.
CrottyKid
AG
Sociology. A&M has a wonderful department.
JSKolache
AG
cheapest one u can find. that doesn't pay well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.