SAT improving scores?

2,775 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TheMasterplan
Cable0790
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are the odds of improving scores on the new SAT. My son currently has a 1290 on the new SAT(680 verbal, 610 Math). He is just outside the top 10 percent and needs a 1360 for auto admit. Any recommendations on ways to improve his score prep classes, self study etc.
"Why don't you make 10 one louder?...This one goes to 11"
histag10
AG
It's always possible to improve scores.

Did he study for the first test? If not, simply buying a study book may help. You can also go the way of getting a tutor/classes.
Cable0790
AG
Minimal studying. Kahn online. Not sure how much effort was put into the process.
double b
AG
Kahn Academy is a good resource for those students who are more diligent with their studies. If want to make sure he achieves the necessary score, I'd hire a tutor or have them take a class. You can expect results of at least 100 - 120 points between both sections.

Check out my profile if you like to learn more information.
Cable0790
AG
Thanks for the info. Any reccomendations on classes, we live in San Antonio.

Appreciate the advice
Ridge14
If he is self motivated I would look at something like Magoosh SAT
SwigAg11
AG
I took a class after scoring 1250 and my score improved to 1410. It can be done with motivation.
k_beaman
AG
Take it as much as he can. Getting familiarized with the testing environment and the types of questions they ask is a huge benefit. I took the SAT 4 times, improved Math/Verbal from 1300 to about 1430.
The Dog Lord
AG
Also make sure he knows how the test is scored. I'm sure it's different now, but it was part of the strategy back when I took it. Each correct answer was 2 points and each incorrect was 1/2 point off (skipping did nothing). That meant that if you got 2 of 10 correct and 8 of 10 incorrect, you broke even. If you made an educated guess on each, you would likely get more than 2 correct which would result in positive points.
double b
AG
quote:
Take it as much as he can. Getting familiarized with the testing environment and the types of questions they ask is a huge benefit. I took the SAT 4 times, improved Math/Verbal from 1300 to about 1430.
Depends on the school you're applying to for admission. For the more selective schools, this is frowned upon. Honestly, there are better and more productive ways for your child to spend their time; spending an exorbitant amount of time studying for the SAT is not one of them.

Having a private tutor that can tell you exactly where to allocate your time and energy to improve your scores can save your child a lot of headaches.

double b
AG
quote:
Also make sure he knows how the test is scored. I'm sure it's different now, but it was part of the strategy back when I took it. Each correct answer was 2 points and each incorrect was 1/2 point off (skipping did nothing). That meant that if you got 2 of 10 correct and 8 of 10 incorrect, you broke even. If you made an educated guess on each, you would likely get more than 2 correct which would result in positive points.
This scoring method is no longer true with the New SAT. Both SAT and ACT are scaled to a normal distribution curve and neither one penalizes the student for an incorrect choice. Depending where you fall along that curve, one more correct answer may result in a 0 point increase while sometimes it may result in as much as 20 points.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
quote:
This scoring method is no longer true with the New SAT. Both SAT and ACT are scaled to a normal distribution curve and neither one penalizes the student for an incorrect choice. Depending where you fall along that curve, one more correct answer may result in a 0 point increase while sometimes it may result in as much as 20 points.
Yeah I didn't think that method was used anymore, but it's still good to know how it's done. The same was true for me with the GRE. Since it was done electronically, they would increase the difficulty of the questions each time you answered correctly and decrease the difficulty each time you answered incorrectly and based the final score on both difficulty and number answered correctly. It didn't really influence how I took the test (had to answer each question presented), but the test prep material mentioned that you might be doing well if you thought the test was getting more difficult (instead of freaking out that it is so difficult).
Cable0790
AG
Good points by all. He has one more shot in October to meet the December deadline for the fall of 2017 A&M. He is currently working on his essays and finishing up some volunteer opportunities for his application. Plenty of time to put in prep work but not sure the drive is there to study for the SAT. His class ranking is in the top 12%, plenty of AP courses, and fair amount of extra curricular activities. He feels he will get in as a review applicant easily. I am not so confident. Mental debate on my part trying to find a balance between making him study or letting him roll the dice on his own.
GVCVAG
He will be rolling the dice, especially if he does not take his essays and EC resume very seriously. This year I estimate based on reported applications and past admissions that a review candidate had about a one in 4 chance of admission ( including Blinn, & Gateway). If you read the long thread that covers the last few years with the TAMU admissions heading, you will note that there are many students who are almost top 10% and or almost academic on test scores that are very disappointed when someone they know that had lower scores / lower rank got in and they did not. If you are in review, there is a lot of competition and you must stand out from a very talented crowd to be admitted. There is a very telling quote in there that says something like realize you (the applicant) are all alike- competitive high school, strong test scores, solid rank, strong ECs. Auto admit and academic take most of the spots.
RufusAg
AG
I wouldn't want to gamble it. The great thing about a tutor or class is that at least it's structured and he'll at least be putting those hours into it. Can also pay off financially by making him more competitive for scholarships. Do everything you can to prevent the senoritis from setting in until the Spring. One more semester of putting in work and you get into a great school and the world is your oyster.
double b
AG
quote:
He will be rolling the dice, especially if he does not take his essays and EC resume very seriously. This year I estimate based on reported applications and past admissions that a review candidate had about a one in 4 chance of admission ( including Blinn, & Gateway). If you read the long thread that covers the last few years with the TAMU admissions heading, you will note that there are many students who are almost top 10% and or almost academic on test scores that are very disappointed when someone they know that had lower scores / lower rank got in and they did not. If you are in review, there is a lot of competition and you must stand out from a very talented crowd to be admitted. There is a very telling quote in there that says something like realize you (the applicant) are all alike- competitive high school, strong test scores, solid rank, strong ECs. Auto admit and academic take most of the spots.
Admissions into TAMU and any other college is a game. Those who know how to play it well can significantly increase their odds over others in the applicant pool. Over the past two years, I've helped students with the following metrics gain admission into TAMU.

• Public: 30 percentile class rank, 3.136 GPA, 990 SAT
  • Private: 65 class rank percentile, 3.164, 960 SAT
  • Homeschool: 1230 SAT
  • Public: 37 class rank percentile, 3.4722 GPA, 1130 SAT
  • Public: 18 class rank percentile, 3.917 GPA, 1150 SAT

Similar results have been achieved with other institutions around the U.S.
TheMasterplan
quote:
quote:
Admissions into TAMU and any other college is a game. Those who know how to play it well can significantly increase their odds over others in the applicant pool. Over the past two years, I've helped students with the following metrics gain admission into TAMU.

• Public: 30 percentile class rank, 3.136 GPA, 990 SAT
  • Private: 65 class rank percentile, 3.164, 960 SAT
  • Homeschool: 1230 SAT
  • Public: 37 class rank percentile, 3.4722 GPA, 1130 SAT
  • Public: 18 class rank percentile, 3.917 GPA, 1150 SAT

Similar results have been achieved with other institutions around the U.S.

Didn't know there were consultants for things like this. Not surprised though. Make dat money.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.