From LibArts to CompSci

2 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by hedgehog3
hedgehog3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy ags,
Incoming senior seeking advice as to whether I should pursue a minor in CompSci or change my major. I am currently BS Econ with business minor. I entered college as an immature freshman at another state school and didn't do well in Calculus my first year. I struggled my first year with personal issues and health problems and skipped class a lot so I spend sophomore year at a CC. Transferred here last year, told myself to forget about STEM because I was discouraged and decided to settle with Econ but I am not liking the job options or career prospects and I am not passionate about it. I don't plan on going to grad school after graduating. I have since retaken and enjoyed Calculus and wish to continue the sequence and take more math or science courses. My gpa, life priorities and study habits have changed drastically since coming to Aggieland. I'm looking to change my major to Applied Math or CompSci, and I am okay with graduating late. Asking for advice for if it is worth it to change or stick with Econ and business minor and just add on a CompSci or Math minor. Thank you.
The Dog Lord
AG
Many say you should pursue what you are interested in and passionate about. It doesn't seem that Econ is it for you. That said, you are a senior. Are you fairly close to being done with Econ? If so, maybe just doing the minor in CS would suffice. You could also finish one degree and return for a second.

Talk to academic advisors, career counselors, etc. There may be some policies that will influence your decision. For instance, the state has policies regarding the cost of tuition for students who attempt a certain number of hours and still haven't graduated (the cost can go up a lot). A lot of this will depend on what it is you ultimately want to do too. Research the position(s) you are interested in so that you know the qualifications. Do they require a certain degree? Could a minor or independent learning teach you the skills and knowledge they require?

Good luck!
histag10
AG
If you are a senior, they usually don't let you change your major (at least not across colleges). Their goal is to graduate students in roughly 4 years. This would add quite a bit of additional time to your stay, especially with courses that cannot be taken concurrently.
Diyala Nick
AG
If you are finishing an econ degree and wish to pursue something analytical and more applied, you may consider doing an M.S. in Data Science. Tamu and UT both have very good, if not excellent, graduate programs.
hedgehog3
Is that the MS Analytics?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.