Mays Business School Appeal Transfer TIps and Advise

7,559 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
robert_rdz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy everyone,

I will currently be a sophomore this coming fall and will being making an appeal to transfer into Mays Business school next week to hopefully be accepted before school starts this semester. I came in as a Liberal Arts major last fall and by spring changed into General Studies to get more of my business courses out of the way, such as business law, econ, math, etc. Mays business school has three requirements since I have been in A&M for transferring students which are:

1. Have Cumulative GPA of 3.30 or greater in a minimum of 30 graded A&M hours
2. Total college hours not exceed 60, including transfer
3. Complete a total of 4 courses from a list that they provide you and have a cumulative GPA of 3.30 or greater

So I finished the school year with an overall GPA of 3.33 on A&M graded hours, 56 total hours, and -the main problem- a GPA of 3.0 on those specific core courses they have on the list. When spring ended I sent an appeal to be accepted into summer and was denied, which I wasn't to surprised as a 3.0 is far from a 3.30. Therefore, what I did this summer was to take an ACCT class, that was included in the list of the 3rd requirement, and got an A which raised my GPA in the specific classes from a 3.0 to a 3.14. I will now be sending another appeal next week, as you can submit one every semester, and try to be accepted into the marketing program. I am currently in General Studies but the problem is that since I have 60 hours which are all oriented towards the marketing degree, I have run out of basic courses to enroll for and must then begin to take upper level which are only available for Mays Students. Another problem is that if i don't get accepted this semester I will automatically be violating the less than 60 hours requirement if I try to apply next spring. I just learned about these forums and wanted to see if anyone had any advise or tips that they could share with me as I am in a very sticky situation wishing very greatly to overcome already, I would gladly appreciate any help.
Dad
AG
I would advise you to find an advisor that works for A&M and start figuring out what plan B is going to be if this appeal doesn't work out. It doesn't look good, IMO.

Those are probably the minimum requirements, which means they may turn down plenty of people that meet them, and you don't meet them.
TJaggie14
AG
You might want to consider some different degrees/majors that can help you reach your career goals. Maybe gather some information on Ag Business/Economics.

There is the University Studies program where you can do a Concentration in Business. It's part of the Mays Business school. IMHO its a good program that gives you a general overview of business, the bad is Mays doesn't look too fondly on USBS kid, & they do not provide a lot or resources & help.

I'm sorry for your situation, you seem like a bright kid. It's a shame that you are right below the cut off. At the same time, Mays has to keep strick standards & are only doing their job.

One last free bit of advice, if you want to do marketing when you graduate then do marketing. Yes having a major in a certain field helps with landing that job, but in a lot of cases just having a degree and a strong work ethic can get you the job. I'm not saying you can be a doctor if you studied underwater basket weaving in college, but for marketing I'm sure companies would look at you if you did something business related. (I know several people doing marketing related jobs who studies English, sports management, allied health, etc.)

Keep up the hard work.
not1cuckaroo
I've gotten into my A&M acceptance so much on here, college confidential, and in random discussion that its hard to even bring up again...but there are hundreds/thousands of kids that always need to know seemingly.

I was accepted to A&M in '08 for lower level business, because I was top 10% in high school. I was an idiot and decided to go to a community college to study audio technology (studio engineer). Did that in 18 months, but fell in love with my econ classes. So after finishing audio, I did my basics for business/econ. Had a 4.0 with all freshman courses completed, the four primary courses complete, and applied to A&M. Rejected.

Transferred to Blinn, hell bent on applying again even though you can only apply to A&M once a year (this pissed my parents off because I was going to another CC after being accepted to UT Biz Econ, TCU, Baylor). Went to Blinn, got another year of classes complete. At this point really close to the 60 transfer hours cutoff (I think 55+) and applied again. Accepted in literally 5 days. I went to the transfer orientation for the Summer because at that many hours you have to be accepted during the Summer so you can take INFO 210 and go straight into junior courses the following Fall semester.

The counselor saw my name, and personally told me I was one of the first accepted because the previous year I was on the very bubble but its just so competitive for external transfers. Can't remember the exact admissions rate, but below 15% because they used to have a hard cap at 75. Could still be the same.

You (the OP) are in a race that is almost impossible to win. My grades were near perfect, had the courses, and was able to maintain their cutoff criteria. The entire process is a mess with getting into Mays. Transferring in particular. Notably, and this aggrevated me alot while there, I graduated with highest honors and I know A&M turns away so much more capable talent due to their external process.

Hope any of this rant just sheds some light on my process, and the transfer process in general. With that being said, if I couldn't do business, the business economics certificate is likely your best bet. Just get a strong GPA and attend the Mays career fairs.
shotcaller1
AG
Steps:

Prepare plan b
Apply to Mays
Regardless of what happens, do not lose sight of career goals
Finish degree
Start job
Do not lose sight of career goals
Getting your "in" with a company is most of the battle

Just my opinion, obviously
Duncan Idaho
Do entry level marketing jobs require a marketing degree?

I mean is it like accounting or finance where you must have an accounting or finance degree to even be interviewed
histag10
AG
I don't think so, I know several people who work in marketing and have a degree in comm.
Duncan Idaho
That is what I thought.

I see 4 options for the op.

1)change universities - If the op is set on a business degree, I would start applying to other schools.

2)change majors- if the op is deadset on going into marketING right after undergrad, go to the career center and figure out which majors companies hire marketing people from that arent in the college of business and apply for transfer to those majors

3) wait until grad school - figure out a career that you could excel at for 3 years, major in that, go back to a real mba program after year 3 and try to get a marketing job.or get a ms in marketing
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.