Immigration and total fertility rate (birth rates)

820 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by Get Off My Lawn
Nanomachines son
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think it's time we update this conversation given what is happening to total fertility rates around the world. This thread is for both left and right wing people.

At some point immigration will slow to a trickle because there simply won't be enough young people to sustain the origin nations, much less send anyone abroad for immigration purposes.

With the global population in the midst of a population collapse, we simply cannot base any policy on continued immigration at all. Regardless of your worldview here, the data shows a striking picture that gets more prominent every year as most of these nations are in near free fall in fertility rates. Latin America is now lower than the US. Most of Asia is even lower than that. We know fertility rates in the Middle East are now in terminal decline too.

Any future involving growth using immigrants is DOA now. It's never going to work, so how do we weather the storm without dying ourselves? I know what people on the right will say and I agree with their points but I am curious about leftist opinions on the issue since this is one they tend to ignore or stick their heads in the sand about.
techno-ag
AG
More child tax credit money!
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Jack Boyett
AG
It's interesting that advanced civilization will itself be the cause of it's own demise.
bmks270
AG
The modern world isn't boring enough.

If it were more boring, there would be more sex, more kids.
Apache
AG
Thoughts:
We can replace a ton of productivity with robotics, as we currently have.

The welfare state as it currently exists is doomed. Too bad our politicians are only worried about themselves.

China's rapid rise over the past 25 will be mirrored in its rapid decline during the next 25.

All of Europe & the "Asian Tigers" are self imploding.

The future of the world IMO will be driven by Africa. Not by what they accomplish on that continent (which I don't think will be much) but by the ever growing diaspora. Tens of millions will migrate by any means or methods necessary to Europe & the US, replacing the existing populations that refuse to reproduce. In some instances this will be a positive influence (Nigerians are extremely motivated & capitalistic generally) and others will be more parasitic & disruptive (Somalians for example).

The US managed to absorb and coalesce after the immigrant boom of the late 1800/early 1900s by shutting it down for a few decades. This, combined with the Great Depression & WW2 forged a mix of many into a more cohesive nation.

As it stands now, the stream of illegals is never ending and higher than ever. I wonder if our nation can hold together. If we do it will be in spite of our criminal government.

Nanomachines son
Apache said:

Thoughts:
We can replace a ton of productivity with robotics, as we currently have.

The welfare state as it currently exists is doomed. Too bad our politicians are only worried about themselves.

China's rapid rise over the past 25 will be mirrored in its rapid decline during the next 25.

All of Europe & the "Asian Tigers" are self imploding.

The future of the world IMO will be driven by Africa. Not by what they accomplish on that continent (which I don't think will be much) but by the ever growing diaspora. Tens of millions will migrate by any means or methods necessary to Europe & the US, replacing the existing populations that refuse to reproduce. In some instances this will be a positive influence (Nigerians are extremely motivated & capitalistic generally) and others will be more parasitic & disruptive (Somalians for example).

The US managed to absorb and coalesce after the immigrant boom of the late 1800/early 1900s by shutting it down for a few decades. This, combined with the Great Depression & WW2 forged a mix of many into a more cohesive nation.

As it stands now, the stream of illegals is never ending and higher than ever. I wonder if our nation can hold together. If we do it will be in spite of our criminal government.

Africa will crater in 10 years as foreign aid dries up. When the east and west stop funneling money, the African population will collapse because they will starve to death as their infrastructure fails and falls apart into ruin.

Africa is not immune to the malaise that is affecting the rest of humanity, but they are generally incapable of creating the conditions necessary for it to arise since it requires urbanization, modern technology, and social media.

Nigeria's population hit its peak years ago and has begun falling rapidly. It is unlikely this will change as it is a long term trend.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Nigeria's population hit its peak years ago and has begun falling rapidly. It is unlikely this will change as it is a long term trend.
The fertility rate in Nigeria (latest I've seen) is 5 children, it is slowing but continuing to grow the overall population.
Something like 29 out of the top 30 countries in the world in terms of fertility rate are in Africa.
Granted, they have higher mortality but the trend is there. They will disperse to the West, especially when foreign aid dries up. There will be famine, disease and war and they will cross the border and claim asylum.

Get Off My Lawn
Mouse Utopia.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.