Kellen Mond's Ancestors Served In Confederate Army

145,049 Views | 969 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BigRobSA
NicosMachine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There were many direct ancestors of Kellen Mond who served in the Confederacy, the most famous was Col. Santos Benavides who was Mond's great, great grandmother's brother and great, great uncle to Kellen. All of his maternal ancestors served as officers or enlisted men in the Confederacy. None of them owned slaves.
Col. Santos Benavides was the highest ranking Mexican American in the Confederacy who was offered a Brigadier Generalship in the Union Army.

unmade bed
Plot twist
AggieKatie2
AG
Evidence?
Gap
AG
Source please.
Snake
AG
This is my shocked face
GT_Aggie2015
AG
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3122949/replies/56931975

I came across the link on FB... Just saw the person who shared it grabbed it from a FB group so who knows the legitimacy.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
So that would make Kellen 1/1024th Confederate right ?
-E. Warren
DallasAg 94
NicosMachine
AG
A letter written to John Sharp from a classmate who went to high school at St. Joseph's Academy in Laredo, Texas with Mond's grandfather Leopoldo Botello, Jr. Here's a bit more:

"His grandfather Leopoldo who was an outstanding basketball player and a great baseball pitcher. He had a very successful career as a CPA and passed away several years ago. Kellen's mother Leticia Botello Mond went to Mary Help of Christians School in Laredo and is a CPA with one of the H.B. Zachary's conglomerates and serves on several corporate boards in San Antonio. His uncle Leopoldo Botello III is a football and baseball coach at Holy Cross High School in San Antonio.

His great grandmother Maria Cristina Martin married Leopoldo Botello, Sr., Mond's great grandfather. She descends from French immigrants who are very prominent in South Texas politics and economic development. Her grandfather Raymond Martin and his descendants ruled Webb County politics for 90 years. Mrs. Maria Cristina Martin Botello's first cousin J.C. Martin, Jr. was Mayor of Laredo for 25 years and served as Chairman of the Board of Trustees at Texas A&I University at Kingsville for many years.

J.C. Martin, Jr. along with George (the Duke of Duval) Parr of San Diego, Texas helped elect LBJ to the U.S. Senate by defeating Gov. Coke Stevenson and later when he ran for the Presidency. Mond's ancestors have served in many elected positions in Laredo and Webb County since the 1870's.

Kellen Mond's great, great, great grandfather Raymond Martin came from Alsace, France and immigrated to the United States where he became a citizen. After living in New Orleans, Pensacola and San Antonio, he moved to Laredo where he married Tirza Garcia, the daughter of Bartolome Garcia. Garcia was a very wealthy three time Mayor of Laredo who helped Raymond Martin create a political dynasty. The Garcias were of Spanish and Mexican descent.

There were many direct ancestors of Kellen Mond who served in the Confederacy, the most famous was Col. Santos Benavides who was Mond's great, great grandmother's brother and great, great uncle to Kellen. All of his maternal ancestors served as officers or enlisted men in the Confederacy. None of them owned slaves.
Col. Santos Benavides was the highest ranking Mexican American in the Confederacy who was offered a Brigadier Generalship in the Union Army. He declined because his primary interest was in protecting states rights and the safety of the Texas Mexican border from rampant marauders, bandits, thieves, outlaws, Comanchees, and Apaches."
Al Bula
AG
Well a privileged athlete with confederate roots does not fit the narrative at all.
Jet Black
PA24
AG
...he should be guarding Sully else his kin be spinning in their graves.
DrEvazanPhD
AggieKatie2 said:

Evidence?

It's not the accuracy of the evidence, it's the severity of the accusation that matters, right?
beanbean
Quite an impressive line of priviledge Mond comes from.
Gap
AG
Yikes, what should those do that become uncomfortable when they see Kellen on campus because of his Confederate States of America familial background?
AgOutsideAustin
AG
beanbean said:

Quite an impressive line of priviledge Mond comes from.

Yeah not quite a "down with the struggle " kind of history.
Aggie95
always gig em
AG
Great great grandfather from France?

Well that explains a lot
Ag4coal
As we have learned from several BLM related social media posts after George Floyd, it is not beyond the pale to tell the world your parents are white supremacists/racists. I have no doubt Mond will happily disavow all of his ancestors.
Sgt. Schultz
AG
Just goes to show you we are all more alike than we are lead to believe. I have heard it said that Black Americans today have more in common genetically with White Americans than they do Black African Americans.
PA24
AG
Comanches and Apaches.....how many were killed
policywonk98
AG
That lineage is far more privileged than mine.

Wow.
Old Sarge
AG
Obviously, with recent history of mom serving on several corporate Boards in SA and having the wearwithall to attend IMG Football Academy in Florida for his Sr. year solidify his "oppressed cred".
Engine10
AG
In for this one
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
policywonk98 said:

That lineage is far more privileged than mine.

Wow.

Seriously, I am a scrub compared to that pedigree!!
lb3
AG
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
In
txaggie05
AG
In!
Zemira
AG
lb3 said:

Gap said:

Yikes, what should those do that become uncomfortable when they see Kellen on campus because of his Confederate States of America familial background?
That kind of research is neither easy nor fast. Either that family acquaintance has a years long obsession with Mond's family or somebody is kicking some dough around the genealogy community.
Yeah all that detail is not easy to come by at all. The dates and names you can get easily, but specifics take knowing the family and some real work digging.
AGHouston11
AG
So did any of the relatives who served in the Confederate Army inflict casualties on opposing forces? This is important to know.
DifferenceMaker Ag
Question of the Day:

Is Mond's family heritage forgivable??
unmade bed
Side note: I don't know who Hector Feria's, Jr PhD (letter writer) is, but I am fairly certain he is an Outdoors board poster.
Canyon99
Quote:

All of his maternal ancestors served as officers or enlisted men in the Confederacy. None of them owned slaves.
Col. Santos Benavides was the highest ranking Mexican American in the Confederacy who was offered a Brigadier Generalship in the Union Army. He declined because his primary interest was in protecting states rights and the safety of the Texas Mexican border from rampant marauders, bandits, thieves, outlaws, Comanchees, and Apaches.

Most people don't want to accept that a large number of Confederate soldiers served because of these reasons (states rights, etc.). No doubt there were many colossal pieces of **** that were pro slavery and that cannot be argued. This country has made huge strides regarding racial injustices and we still have progress to make in that arena.

I would never hold the actions of Kellen's ancestors that served in the Confederate Army against him because it was not him. Also, I will not wholly judge their actions through a lens from 2020. It is not logical.

Kellen - We are not as different as you believe.
old yeller
AG
In
DallasAg 94

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.