Winter Olympics - who cares?

Muy
8:03a, 1/21/14
L
AG
Clearly it's not worth the life of anyone (athlete or fan) to risk taking the US teams to Russia. Without the US there, the odds of a terrorist attack goes down significantly, and the Russians simply do not have things 100% locked down. No worth it, what say you?
Captain Pablo
8:04a, 1/21/14
L
What say me?

Me say the team USA should show up
Muy
8:05a, 1/21/14
L
AG
No right or wrong answer, opinions are like... well, we have a lot of them let's just say.
LOYAL AG
8:06a, 1/21/14
L
AG
No sense hiding from them. That's basically conceding defeat.
aggiedent
8:07a, 1/21/14
L
AG
I guess if the athletes, coaches, and some fans show up, then your first sentence is incorrect. I'm further guessing not a single athlete is going to miss the chance to compete.
chosin
8:08a, 1/21/14
L
AG
Curling or GTFO.

No, but seriously. Everything but curling can EAD.

If our athletes don't attend, how can Obama show Putin he won't tolerate his refusal to not let Russian homosexuals indoctrinate the children of Russia??

[This message has been edited by chosin (edited 1/21/2014 8:18a).]
aggiedent
8:09a, 1/21/14
L
AG
quote:
No right or wrong answer, opinions are like..

Sorry, this is the politics forum. There is always a correct answer. Never any shades of gray.
Muy
L
AG
I agree they want to be there, just saying that - when you have to move ships into the area, and teams are hiring private planes to be on alert to get them out of the country in an emergency - the goal of the Olympics is lost.
DavidWallace
L
AG
Team USA should not back down to threats. If the individual athletes feel unsafe, then it should be up to them to decide to attend or not.

If the USA backs out because of threats, then the bad guys win without actually doing anything.

If the bad guys actually kill some of our athletes, then they will bring a hell storm upon themselves. It would be a global man-hunt for the bad guys until they are killed.
Sasappis
8:10a, 1/21/14
L
AG
The us has almost nothing to do with the terrorist threat. These are Muslim terrorists who are mad at the Russians.
ABATTBQ11
8:14a, 1/21/14
L
AG
quote:
Without the US there, the odds of a terrorist attack goes down significantly

Chechnya says hello...
Muy
8:17a, 1/21/14
L
AG
Giving the Russians the Olympics was a cluster-^#*# from the get-go. The terrorist alerts are about as surprising as the sun coming up everyday.

I get the Chehnyan Muslims wanting to hit Russia, but let then work out their own issues without us being in the middle of it.

[This message has been edited by Muy (edited 1/21/2014 8:18a).]
rjamizon
8:25a, 1/21/14
L
Didn't care until Jamaican bobsled team qualified.
amercer
8:26a, 1/21/14
L
AG
quote:
The us has almost nothing to do with the terrorist threat. These are Muslim terrorists who are mad at the Russians.

This. For once we really aren't the big target. Bad **** may still happen to our people though.
aggiedent
8:31a, 1/21/14
L
AG
quote:
Didn't care until Jamaican bobsled team qualified.

You betting the whole farm on a gold medal??
Icecream_Ag
8:35a, 1/21/14
L
S
quote:
Curling or GTFO.
How dare you forget womens ski jump
LOYAL AG
8:35a, 1/21/14
L
AG
quote:
These are Muslim terrorists who hate everyone.

FIFY. Muslims hate everyone. We could have the Olympics in Dubai and there would be a threat of terrorism. It's who they are. Muslims are at war with everyone, all over the globe.
CJS4715
8:41a, 1/21/14
L
AG
I love the Olympics… allegedly a symbol that the world can come together in peace for athletic competition, and we send a war ship and Russia is on high alert for domestic terrorism. Awesome.
DannyDuberstein
8:58a, 1/21/14
L
Muslim terrorists are the little ****head in your kids' class. It doesn't matter who or why, they are always trying to start **** with someone.
conspiracy ag
9:07a, 1/21/14
H
these terrorist threats aren't about the US.

If you are going to troll, at least try and get your information correct, this isn't rivalries... or do you have a weird obsession with your political opponents as you do with the sips?
ABATTBQ11
9:08a, 1/21/14
L
AG
quote:
We could have the Olympics in Dubai and there would be a threat of terrorism. It's who they are. Muslims are at war with everyone, all over the globe.

But could we have the Winter Olympics?
Rev_86
9:08a, 1/21/14
L
AG
quote:
Curling or GTFO.

No, but seriously. Everything but curling can EAD.

If our athletes don't attend, how can Obama show Putin he won't tolerate his refusal to not let Russian homosexuals indoctrinate the children of Russia??

[This message has been edited by chosin (edited 1/21/2014 8:18a).]

And beer. Curling and beer were meant for each other.
titan
10:03a, 1/21/14
L
S
quote:

quote:
FIFY. Muslims hate everyone. We could have the Olympics in Dubai and there would be a threat of terrorism. It's who they are. Muslims are at war with everyone, all over the globe.

The Osamist variety, the Islamists, certainly do. Both quotes are true.

Where the Osamists are concerned we share a common enemy with Russia, or any civilized power. To back out of going to an event because of a terrorist threat would send a terrible message of timidity. To insist on precautions and pre-emptive measures is reasonable. (Have a feeling Putin won't shirk from those anyway)

As for the Winter Olympics in general, not sure if it is the climate or timing, but it has always been over-shadowed by the `summer' Olympics, which for one reason another, when they open, seem the `real' Olympics to many to by the `who cares' remarks about the Winter.

Not sure why that is---perhaps because the ancient and also earlier phase of Olympics in the last century emphasized the warm weather sports in imagery and symbols.
FriscoKid
10:12a, 1/21/14
L
AG
I like just about all of it except for the figure skating. Downhill, curling, speed skating, and snow boarding are great...

Go USA

(if the terrorists do attack, I hope they target the NBC media center and not the athletes. The athletes are innocent)
Muy
10:59a, 1/21/14
L
AG
Not sure why this could be considered a troll post, get your panties out of a wad. It's a serious concern.
B-1 83
1:50p, 1/21/14
L
AG
There is no serious plan for a terrorist attack at the Olympics. This is just pure genius on the part of the terrorists.

1. They have just cost the Russians millions of rubles (which they don't really have) in beefed up security
2. They have placed world wide distrust in the Russian security after recent bombings
3. They may have shifted Russin security away from a possible different target
4. WINNING!

Successful terrorists think out of the box. Make them look here, while attacking over there. If nothing else, make them run around chasing shadows.
Sasappis
2:01p, 1/21/14
L
AG
quote:
As for the Winter Olympics in general, not sure if it is the climate or timing, but it has always been over-shadowed by the `summer' Olympics, which for one reason another, when they open, seem the `real' Olympics to many to by the `who cares' remarks about the Winter.

Not sure why that is---perhaps because the ancient and also earlier phase of Olympics in the last century emphasized the warm weather sports in imagery and symbols.

Access is probably a big factor as well. For the most part the events of the winter olympics are upper crust hobbies. Most summer olympic events are actual competitions involving the world's best athletes.
LoudestWHOOP!
2:09p, 1/21/14
L
AG
I don't think politics should be involved in the Olympics, but sadly they are.

Danger is everywhere. If you have the talent and you have qualified, it only happens once every 4 years so you go.

I always wanted to be an Olympian, but in track and field.

1980 Olympic hockey was incredible, wrapped up in amazing and covered in awesome.

Biathlon - looks like my future past time if I lived where you had snow year round.

A bobsled run is on my bucket list.
Ag of Northern Virginia
2:59p, 1/21/14
A
quote:
But could we have the Winter Olympics?
[FIFA/IOC]given the right price
Page 1 of 1