Scripture help

1,977 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 10andBOUNCE
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My very good friend was told today she has less than 2 weeks to live. Her husband who is my best friend and Long-time Christian is really struggling with why God would take her (beast cancer) from him and their 1 year old son. TBH I am too. Been a very bad day and I could really use some verses to both read and share with my friends to show them that she's going to a better place. Thanks so much.
Pro Sandy
AG
I am sorry to read this. It is very hard.

Two verses come to mind. Romans 8 when Paul writes that all things work for the good of those who love God. Revelation 21 when John writes about the return of Christ and the new heaven and new earth where God wipes away every tear.

Sometimes in these situations, the only and best thing we can do, is just mourn with those who mourn.
Martin Q. Blank
"Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation." Isaiah 12:2

"Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory." Psalm 73:23-24

"Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer.
From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I." Psalm 61:1-2

"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." James 1:12

"If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord." Romans 14:8
jkag89
No scripture to add but a book that might help later down the line; Wish You Were Here: Travels Through Loss and Hope by Amy Welborn.
agcrock2005
AG
Thanks for the responses. Appreciate it.
PacifistAg
AG
Here are some things that may be helpful:

Lord Willing? Part 1

Lord Willing? Part 2

Lord Willing? Part 3

Is Suffering Part of God's Secret Plan?
BusterAg
AG
So sorry. So tough.

In these situations, I would tend to lean on love more than scripture.
agcrock2005
AG
BusterAg said:

In these situations, I would tend to lean on love more than scripture.
Our worry is that wife wants/needs to hear from him that he's prayed and knows she's going to a better place and he's ok and will take good care of their son, which is why I posted this. We all love him and her very much and they know it. Have always heard about it happening but so crazy when it's so close to home. Feel so bad for them and the feeling that you can't do anything to help is so awful..
Zobel
AG
My godfather is an iconographer and artist and he recently lost his sister.

His paintings he did were part of his mourning, but the paintings and captions are beautiful. His thoughts may give you some comfort.

https://m.facebook.com/Nick.Papas.Studio/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1205221549516212&mt_nav=1&ref=page_internal
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. -Romans 8:28
BusterAg
AG
So sorry for your loss. Heartbreaking situation.
Guadaloop474
1 Corinthians 2:9

But, as it is written, "What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man conceived, what God has prepared for those who love him,"
Aggiefan#1
AG
Pray for her strength to face her journey and help your friend. Don't try to understand, don't try to provide scripture (today). He will need it later. Love and support is what is needed now.

I am grief stricken for your friends wife. I could handle my time coming earlier than expected. I could not bear to watch my wife go right now with our children. I honestly, think the grief I would have for her would kill me.

Could we have first names for prayer?

I don't know the last time I cried and this has brought me to tears.

God have mercy, God have mercy, God have mercy....
tehmackdaddy
AG
tehmackdaddy
AG
Someone mentioned Romans 8, which is great:
Quote:

18I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing to the glory that is to be revealed to us (not even worth comparing that blows me away) 31 If God is for us, who can be against us?... 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Also, I'm sure a quick Google search for Scripture for someone who is dying will yield you many helpful results.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
1 Thessalonians 4:13-14
Quote:

But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep.
Luke 23:42-43 (thief on the cross)
Quote:

And he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." And he said to him, "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise."
Frok
AG
How heartbreaking
brownbrick
AG
Rejoice with them while you can and mourn with those who mourn. Jobs friends said a lot of bad stuff to him, but they started well. They sat with him in silence for seven days and didn't speak until he was ready to talk.

When the time comes, or if you need it yourself, God in the Night Seasons by Chuck and Nancy Missler may good a read for you. It is very heavy on scripture as well.
70mAgE2
AG
While yet she has mortal breath, I hope she has and they do avail themselves of `the six Biblical avenues of healing. If that does not overcome her illness, recognize that she is merely promoted to her eternal reward a bit ahead of her loved ones in time, but not in eternity.

Paul spoke of there being a ship fully laden for a magnificent adventure. The word Paul uses is an old Greek shipping term, phonetically "ef-a-lom-ba-to", that is only applied to a ship ready to sale from harbor, not coming in. I suspect God has such a vessel prepared with provision for her individually for this next stage of her life, whether it be now or a thousand years from now.

I wish her and all her family and loved ones all the best God has to offer.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Prayers for everyone involved

Chapter 1 of Philippians might be worth a read
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.