Thou Shalt Work Out

1,321 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Frok
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thou Shalt Work Out

Thoughts on this? I'm not much of an "attractional church" person, so I cringe when I read this. I love fitness and think it is important for us to be healthy, but this seems like a ton of money to pump into something that can very easily become entangled w/ issues of vanity. This is also a ton of money that could be used in areas that we are specifically called to address...feeding the hungry, caring for the widow and orphan, ministering to prisoners, serving strangers/refugees, etc.

Quote:

I'm here because health-minded Christian pundits have hailed First Baptist as a shining example of what's possible when religion and fitness unite. In late 2009, the church invested a quarter of a million dollars to renovate its existing 25,000-square-foot rec center, making it a viable alternative to the city's upscale health clubs. Besides the Group X rooma full-size basketball court where 14 instructors teach pilates, TRX, high-intensity interval training, "Godspeed Spin," and other classes throughout the weekthe facility has two weight rooms with HFB-branded Cybex machines, a cardio room, an indoor track, sprawling locker rooms, a hydromassage bed, and, for good measure, six bowling lanes.

Quote:

Make no mistake: in an era of declining church membership, one of the main reasons faith-based gyms exist is to draw people to the gospel, whether they're parishioners or not. "We want people to come," says First Baptist fitness minister Dave Bundrick. It's the exact opposite M.O. of big-box gyms that base their business models on people not showing up. Church fitness centers do charge fees, but they measure their success not in dollars but in what Bundrick calls ministry opportunitiesinteractions in which there's a chance to "positively impact a person's perception of our ministry, church, and ultimately, our God."

After thinking about it more, I would imagine they could save tons of money by simply offering classes for healthy eating and fitness programs that don't require massive amounts of expensive equipment. My wife and I do 21 Day Fix and you don't need a full service gym to do it and it has a strict, but well-balanced, eating plan.
diehard03
Quote:

This is also a ton of money that could be used in areas that we are specifically called to address...feeding the hungry, caring for the widow and orphan, ministering to prisoners, serving strangers/refugees, etc.

The problem with this is that we are talking about church in America...which means that every single church would violate this. Being honest, I think we can admit that we use this excuse towards things we don't agree with.

For me, as far as the issue with the gym...intent plays a big role. If the gym is just a recruiting tool, then I think most would agree that that's a little out of bounds. If you truely care about the health of your congregants...and/or there's a dirth of affordable gym options in the neighborhood...then I think it's no different than a inner city church having activities to keep kids off the street. The intent is pure.

But, often we don't like this because we can't gauge someone's intent.
BusterAg
AG
I have a hard time finding problems with this.

The typical gym is overpriced, full of people that wear inappropriate clothes, and generally a gathering place for vanity.

If the culture around this gym is different, and the fat guys that really do need spin class are more likely to show up, I think that is great. Hospitality is a spiritual gift, and, if this is done right, I would put that in there.

I guess one question is what percentage of their budget went to this, and how much follow through will there be to keep the facilities working in the way they were intended.

So, execution is more important than the idea.
Zobel
AG
Real or Babylon bee?
UTExan
It seems to be what happens when churches attempt to be "relevant".
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
BusterAg said:

I have a hard time finding problems with this.

The typical gym is overpriced, full of people that wear inappropriate clothes, and generally a gathering place for vanity.

If the culture around this gym is different, and the fat guys that really do need spin class are more likely to show up, I think that is great. Hospitality is a spiritual gift, and, if this is done right, I would put that in there.

I guess one question is what percentage of their budget went to this, and how much follow through will there be to keep the facilities working in the way they were intended.

So, execution is more important than the idea.
as far as budget, if the $250k quoted in the article is accurate, that would be around 2% of HFBC's annual budget at that time. maybe a little more.
Frok
AG
I don't know if I'm necessarily against churches having gyms. However these just look like overkill.
Zobel
AG
"Where is that in the bible?!" /protestants
PacifistAg
AG
Frok said:

I don't know if I'm necessarily against churches having gyms. However these just look like overkill.
Yeah, I don't have an issue w/ an area to work out. We have basically a cafegymatorium and I know there are various fitness classes held throughout the week there. I think it isn't a bad idea in that we should be good stewards of what we are given, including our physical condition. But, completely agree that these are overkill and eat up a ton of money that could be used towards the mission of His church.
Frok
AG
Well if HFBC's is only 2% of the budget then it's not really a big deal in that regards. I know that church does a good job of supporting many programs around the city.

It's the perception that I don't like. It looks like a rich country club.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.