R - Hindu funeral/mourning customs?

844 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FlyFish95
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's strange that I've known/worked with hundreds/thousands of Indians over the years and I've seen more traditional Hindu dancing than anyone would ever want to see but, one area where I'm completely ignorant about Hindu culture is when it comes to a death in the family, grieving customs/protocols, etc.

I know one of my managers lost his father a few years ago and flew back to India for the ceremonies/post-death rituals, etc. I know one of the things he did is to shave his head in remembrance of his father.

I really like this guy and depend on him heavily at work. I want to be as accommodating as possible to what his cultural/religious needs might be. Can anybody help me with what I should expect as far as time off from work, mourning period/traditions, etc. I'm looking more for religious norms rather than generic grief counseling. Thanks!
canadiaggie
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

It's strange that I've known/worked with hundreds/thousands of Indians over the years and I've seen more traditional Hindu dancing than anyone would ever want to see but, one area where I'm completely ignorant about Hindu culture is when it comes to a death in the family, grieving customs/protocols, etc.

I know one of my managers lost his father a few years ago and flew back to India for the ceremonies/post-death rituals, etc. I know one of the things he did is to shave his head in remembrance of his father.

I really like this guy and depend on him heavily at work. I want to be as accommodating as possible to what his cultural/religious needs might be. Can anybody help me with what I should expect as far as time off from work, mourning period/traditions, etc. I'm looking more for religious norms rather than generic grief counseling. Thanks!

I don't have very many specifics to offer, but warning: it could vary. Hinduism isn't exactly a singular religion. There's lots of local variations and there are many cultural differences. A Hindu from Tamil Nadu won't do things exactly the same way a Hindu from Bihar, Assam, or Gujarat would
swimmerbabe11
I was hoping someone would..but I have nothing to contribute.
FlyFish95
I've been to a Hindu funeral. Could not tell you what was going on.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.