Question for non-Christians

1,542 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by LondonOllie
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently read of a study done by the BARNA Group that asked nonbelievers to give 3 words to describe the church in America today. What are we known for? So, that got me thinking and I wanted to ask that of nonbelievers here.

What 3 words would you use to describe the church in America today?

Also, assuming that many nonbelievers were either brought up in the church or have some knowledge of the New Testament church of the Bible, what 3 words would you use to describe the NT church?
Shinnbone17
I would post the first three words that come to mind when I think of the old church I was raised in, but I don't want to be rude or offend anyone.
So let's just say I don't think very highly of my old church (for various and numerous reasons) and leave it there.

But I will say that some of my closest friends I met here in Aggieland are religious, and I have been to a service with them a few times.

So the way I would describe the few churches in Aggieland that I have experienced would be: Open, Caring, and Genuine.

In the broader sense of the church in America today, I won't even attempt. There's so much that could and does factor in to my perspective, I won't even attempt to narrow it down to three words.

Plus, I would rather give my depictions based on personal experience anyways, for me to try to describe the church on such a broad narrative, I feel wouldn't be just on either end.
Woody2006
AG
quote:
I recently read of a study done by the BARNA Group that asked nonbelievers to give 3 words to describe the church in America today. What are we known for? So, that got me thinking and I wanted to ask that of nonbelievers here.

What 3 words would you use to describe the church in America today?

Also, assuming that many nonbelievers were either brought up in the church or have some knowledge of the New Testament church of the Bible, what 3 words would you use to describe the NT church?

There is no such thing as "The Church". There are lots and lots of churches and IMO, most people find the type of church that suits their predisposition. This causes self-selection bias even within the various types of churches.

I can't answer that question because there is no one "American Christianity".
Post removed:
by user
kurt vonnegut
AG
Indeed. Too wide of a category to give three words. In an attempt to sorta answer the question though:

I have a very positive view of American Christianity as an important part of communities, of outreach, of compassion, and as a source of charity. Living in Texas and working in a conservative industry means that I literally have only two friends, not counting my wife, who are admitted and open atheists. That is to say that just about everyone I love and care about in this world is Christian.

I also have a negative view of American Christianity as acting like a political lobby for conservatism and of supporting a certain level of moral authoritarianism. I've never been able to square the modern conservative platform on social issues with anything resembling conservatism. I think this has turned a lot of people like me off from religion.
Texaggie7nine
Sincere but hypocritical
7nine
AggieChaiWalla
AG
I have observed with many of my non-Christian friends (who are from different religions) as:

1. one perspective - The church community seems focused just on just their one perspective and not willing to see things from other perspectives. The church community doesn't seem willing to learn from others outside the church community. Not referring to different paths or different interpretations but just willing to listen and value what others believe or see things.

2. come to us - Many churches are involved with many activities of outreach (ministry, evangelism, service, etc). However, it is still a "come and join us rather than we'll go and join you". The church community tends to focus mainly spending all their time within their own community rather than outside the "church" community (other than the "outreach" events).

3. expectation of reciprocation - There is an expectation that if someone wants to just "check out", "observe", or "learn about" it is assumed that they are expected to respond in a certain way. If a person wants to join via membership with or to the church, that would warrant expectations to respond in a particular manner. However, there may need to be more opportunity for people outside the church to feel freedom to check out, observe, learn, or even participate without feeling like they have to reciprocate in any manner.
Rocag
AG
Three words? Let me think...

Declining. Republican. Nostalgic.
TPS_Report
AG
You can't really pigeon hole "the church" in America. There are so many different denominations that a broad brush simply won't work. The Catholic Church would get different three words than the Pentecostal Church, and so on.

Aggrad08
AG
give me a denomination and you can have three words. It's too broad for the whole spectrum.
BombayAg
proselytizing.
snake-oil selling.
disrespectful (to other's faiths).
swimmerbabe11

sorry to harp on this book again

Revivalism
Pietism
Mysticism
Enthusiasm

Are the 4 characteristics of "American Christianity"

Pastor Wolfmueller is great. He grew up evangelical and is now a Lutheran pastor whom I hold in very high esteem. He has a podcast called Table Talk Radio and then also does AroundtheWord.com and Grappling with the Text youtube videos as a part of the WorldView Everlasting channel.
LondonOllie
  • Judgemental
  • Conservative
  • Hypocritical

However, that doesn't mean i believe that all Christians and all churches are like that. However, these are the words that immediately spring to mind. Maybe it's because of the whole evangelical movement and the TV ministers (which was absolutely bizarre to me when I first got to the USA).

Funnily enough, I always found Christianity which isn't so prevalent in the UK these days, to always feel far gentler and kinder and less fire and brimstone than it is over here. In that regard, also less threatening to people that are not Christian. One of the people I have/had the most respect for, was a vicar who was also a teacher at my school in England. He was probably one of the kindest, non pushy and judgmental Christians I've ever met. Genuinely a pure soul who walked the walk, cared for others, and never pushed his beliefs onto me.

Maybe some Christians might say that he wasn't a real Christian then, because he didn't try to 'spread the word' but he just went about life trying his best to be a good human being to all, without telling people they were going to hell or whatnot.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.