American Cardinals

4,450 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BurnetAggie99
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Presently, there are 15 living American cardinals out of the 211 members of the college of Cardinals. Of those, 8 are 80 or older and thus cannot sit in Conclave. Those are:

Adam Joseph Cardinal Maida (86) - Archbishop Emeritus of Detroit, Michigan
Theodore Edgar Cardinal McCarrick (86) - Archbishop Emeritus of Washington, District of Columbia
William Henry Cardinal Keeler (85) - Archbishop Emeritus of Baltimore, Maryland
Bernard Francis Cardinal Law (84) - Archpriest Emeritus of the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore {Saint Mary Major Basilica}, Roman Curia
James Francis Cardinal Stafford (84) - Major Penitentiary Emeritus of the Apostolic Penitentiary, Roman Curia
Justin Francis Cardinal Rigali (81) - Archbishop Emeritus of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Roger Michael Cardinal Mahony (80) - Archbishop Emeritus of Los Angeles, California
William Joseph Cardinal Levada (80) - Prefect Emeritus of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Roman Curia

There are 7 below the age of 80. These men can sit in Conclave as of today.

Edwin Frederick Cardinal O'Brien (77) - Grand Master of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, Roman Curia
Donald William Cardinal Wuerl (75) - Archbishop of Washington, District of Columbia
Sean Patrick Cardinal O'Malley, O.F.M. Cap. (72) - Archbishop of Boston, Massachusetts
Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke (68) - Prefect Emeritus of the Apostolic Signatura, Roman Curia
Daniel Nicholas Cardinal DiNardo (67) - Archbishop of Galveston-Houston, Texas
James Michael Cardinal Harvey (66) - Archpriest of the Basilica di San Paolo fuori le Mura {Saint Paul Outside-the-Walls Basilica}, Roman Curia
Timothy Michael Cardinal Dolan (66) - Archbishop of New York, New York

If there were to be a Conclave in the next few years, Cardinals O'Brien and Wuerl would be too old to be considered for Pope. Since serving archbishops seem to be preferred as Pope, Cardinals O'Malley, DiNardo and Dolan would seem to be most likely American candidates.

Now, Cardinal Harvey was the last American elevated to cardinal. Who might our next cardinal be? Cardinals tend to come from big diocese, and there are several likely candidates (IMHO):

Jos Horacio Gmez Velasco (64) - Archbishop of Los Andglese (former archbishop of San Antonio)
Blase Joseph Cupich, Archbishop (67) - Archbishop of Chicago
Charles Joseph Chaput, O.F.M. Cap. (72) - Archbishop of Philidelphia
Kevin Joseph Farrell (69) - Bishop, recently made Prefect of Laity, Family, and Life, Roman Curia

Your thoughts on who the next American cardinal (or cardinals) will be?
Furlock Bones
AG
Cardinal Law
kurt vonnegut
AG
quote:

Some old white guy.
jja79
AG
Cardinals, conclave and an 80 year old rule. Can you cite the scriptural basis for any of that?
PacifistAg
AG
As a Rangers fan, I loathe the Cardinals.
jkag89
quote:
Cardinals, conclave and an 80 year old rule. Can you cite the scriptural basis for any of that?
The Catholic Church has never claimed to be a scripture only institution nor does it claim the cardinalate to be a biblical, sacramental office. Cardinals are appointed by the Pope in order to assist and advise him in the governance of the Church.

The idea of bishops picking a replacement for a lost brother bishop has scriptural basis in Acts, when a successor to Judas was needed.

The concept of the Cardinals picking the pope is mostly based on tradition. Early on, the local church picked the new bishop, in Rome or any city. This practice was common in Rome throughout the first millenium. After many abuses in the middle ages, the selection of the pope was given to the Cardinals exclusively.
Post removed:
by user
wbt5845
AG
quote:

Scriptural basis is irrelevant. Microwave ovens are not mentioned in scripture and *bam* there they are.
diehard03
quote:
Since serving archbishops seem to be preferred as Pope, Cardinals O'Malley, DiNardo and Dolan would seem to be most likely American candidates.

To tie into another thread about abortion supports, O'Malley is the guy who participated in Ted Kennedy's funeral and refuses to deny Eucharist to publicly know abortion supporters.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
You know, I don't like the way you post. You never actually refute anything; you pop up here, ask some extremely elementary questions; and then vanish after your question is completely obliterated. Stay around; learn something; defend your assertions.
diehard03
quote:
Stay around; learn something; defend your assertions.

You mean entrench yourself, refuse to acknowledge the other side and talk past each other, right?
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
quote:
Stay around; learn something; defend your assertions.

You mean entrench yourself, refuse to acknowledge the other side and talk past each other, right?
I see the winky face, but all he does is pop in and say 'where is that in the bible' and then leave.
jja79
AG
And no one has answered. Just complained about a very legitimate question.
jkag89
I certainly did answer your question.
diehard03
quote:
I see the winky face, but all he does is pop in and say 'where is that in the bible' and then leave.

I just don't see the point in being righteously indignant when we all have our sins on this board. I'm sure people can write the same post about both of our posting styles.
diehard03
quote:

I suspect that you know the answer to your question already, because of how you worded it. You know there's no Scriptural reference for 80 year old limitation on election of the pope.

Great, we get it. You're bible only. Catholics are not. This shouldn't be a shock.

edit: jkag89 deserves a medal at this point for how often he posts pretty basic stuff about Catholicism that people continue to ignore.
Post removed:
by user
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
quote:

I suspect that you know the answer to your question already, because of how you worded it. You know there's no Scriptural reference for 80 year old limitation on election of the pope.

Great, we get it. You're bible only. Catholics are not. This shouldn't be a shock.

edit: jkag89 deserves a medal at this point for how often he posts pretty basic stuff about Catholicism that people continue to ignore.

I wonder which bible jja uses. Which translation and which version.
wbt5845
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I wonder which bible jja uses. Which translation and which version.

He uses the RIGHT one, duh
diehard03
quote:
I don't think that's true.

It would be helpful if you would say what's not true.

edit: i was able to click on the blue thingy to see what post you meant this for. I assume its about saying the same thing. The point was more of a "those in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks" thing...I wasn't meaning to be exact.
Sapper Redux
I've clicked on this thread three or four times, every time expecting this:

Or this:

jkag89
quote:
Or this:

The St. Louis variety of Cardinals was alluded to in two posts.
RAB91
quote:
quote:
You know, I don't like the way you post. You never actually refute anything; you pop up here, ask some extremely elementary questions; and then vanish after your question is completely obliterated. Stay around; learn something; defend your assertions.
That's all he knows. Just for grins I did a search for his posts on this board over the last year (slow day at work). While he may not have a ton of posts, he is pretty consistent (60-70% of the time) about spouting off some Catholic bashing, Catholics do a bunch of crazy stuff that isn't in scripture, or some combination of the two. He doesn't know any better.
jja79
AG
quote:
You're right I missed that. Thanks.

I just find it curious that a church exists without concern for scriptural basis.

Going forward I'll ignore threads about Catholicism since there seems to be so much sensitivity about asking honest questions.
RAB91
quote:
quote:

I just find it curious that a church exists without concern for scriptural basis.

Going forward I'll ignore threads about Catholicism since there seems to be so much sensitivity about asking honest questions.
Seeing as you ignore what is pretty much the same answer on all these threads, that's probably a good idea.
diehard03
quote:

The 2 second distillation is that Tradition gave us the Bible and therefore both Tradition, and the Bible, are the sources of authority.

Protestants also do a great many things that are extra-biblical. It's ok.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
quote:

would you mind answering some questions for once? About the nature of scripture and the Catholic Church? These should be easy for you.
jkag89
quote:
quote:

Based upon your posts in the past, your question hardly came across as a "honest" inquiry. Maybe if you had in the past tried to at least understand the Catholic view you would get measured responses in return.
wbt5845
AG
quote:

What an odd comment. The Church certainly does have concern for scriptural basis. but the church does not believe ONLY in scriptural basis.

And neither do you.

Did you drive a car today? No scriptural basis. Have you ever had a Christmas tree? No scriptural basis. Did you eat a pizza today? No scriptural basis.
Zosima
To answer your question, I think Archbishop Gomez and Archbishop Cupich will be the next Cardinals since Cardinal Mahony just turned 80 and the passing of Cardinal George. I do think Bishop Farrell will eventually be made one, but probably not immediately.

I think we will see a decline in the number of Cardinals in the US while Pope Francis is around. I think he wants to more evenly distribute cardinals throughout the world. So this is just my wild guess. I could see him making a cardinal of a Bishop from some random diocese
panhandlefarmer
AG
quote:
quote:

What a drama queen troll.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
quote:
Matthew 18:18
Dad-O-Lot
AG
quote:

The difference between a "bible-based church" and an "church-based bible"

Catholics consider the Bible to be Church-Based, not the other way around.

The Church was here before the Bible.

Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
quote:

The difference between a "bible-based church" and an "church-based bible"

Catholics consider the Bible to be Church-Based, not the other way around.

The Church was here before the Bible.

Wow that's well said. It should be self evident. But I never really thought about that in such blunt terms.
wbt5845
AG
Quote:

Now, Cardinal Harvey was the last American elevated to cardinal. Who might our next cardinal be? Cardinals tend to come from big diocese, and there are several likely candidates (IMHO):

Jos Horacio Gmez Velasco (64) - Archbishop of Los Andglese (former archbishop of San Antonio)
Blase Joseph Cupich, Archbishop (67) - Archbishop of Chicago
Charles Joseph Chaput, O.F.M. Cap. (72) - Archbishop of Philidelphia
Kevin Joseph Farrell (69) - Bishop, recently made Prefect of Laity, Family, and Life, Roman Curia

Released today:

https://cruxnow.com/global-church/2016/10/09/330128/

Quote:

Archbishops Blase Cupich of Chicago and Joseph Tobin of Indianapolis, as well as former Dallas Bishop Kevin Farrell.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.