My time as a Roman Catholic is nearing the end.

12,935 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 7thGenTexan
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
um what?

No, that is saying that every point of doctrine is important. All bits of doctrine are intrinsically linked.
If you disagree on infant baptism, you disagree on the work of the Holy Spirit. If you disagree on the Eucharist, then it's likely you disagree on things about "Who Christ is" and what that means. When K2 gets upset about the Filioque, it's because he believes the words "and the son" change the very nature of the trinity.

There are large disagreements in Christendom that can't simply be waved off.
swimmerbabe11
Christendom should remain united, should have the same faith and doctrine. To assure this unity among Christians, these must not only congregate for the preaching servicein which they hear the same Word, whereby they are called to the same faith and all together adhere to the same Headbut they must also congregate at one table and eat and drink with one another. It may well happen that someone who is listening to my sermon is nevertheless my enemy at heart. Therefore although also the Gospel holds Christians together, the Lord's Supper does so still more. By attending it every Christian confesses publicly and for himself what he believes. There those who have a different faith part ways, and those meet who have the same faith, whose hope and heart toward the Lord are one.

"This is also the reason why the Sacrament has been called Communio in Latin, a communion. And those who do not want to be of the same faith, doctrine, and life, as other Christians are, are calledexcommunicatis, people who are dissimilar in doctrine, words, understanding, and life. Therefore these should not be tolerated in the group that has the same understanding; they would divide it and split it up. The Holy Sacrament, then, serves as a means whereby Christ holds His little flock together" (What Luther Says 812:2521).

"It terrifies me to hear that in one and the same church or at one and the same altar both parties are to find and to receive one and the same Sacrament and one party is to believe that it receives nothing but bread and wine, while the other is to believe that it receives the true body and blood of Christ. And I often wonder whether it is credible that preacher or shepherd of souls can be so hardened and malicious as to say nothing about this and to let both parties go on in this way, receive one and the same Sacrament, everyone according to his own faith, etc. If such a person exists, he must have a heart harder than any stone, steel or adamant; he must, in fact, be an apostle of wrath.Whoever, therefore, has such preachers or suspects them to be such, let him be warned against them as against the devil incarnate himself" (WLS 813:2522).
Zobel
AG
quote:
My point is simply that you need this definition to help separate the heretics from the believers, and I think we've reached a point where we are separating believers from believers unnecessarily.
Good, we agree! Now to define heresy.

I know heresy as a choice. It means self-chosen opinion, a personal action of choice. In the classical world, people joined / chose their "school". Pharisee vs Sadducee is an example of heresy.

Properly, in Christianity, heresy is the act of choosing one's own belief over that of established orthodoxy. We know heresies will happen, and that they are necessary to defend and illumine the truth. (For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you 1 Corinthian 11:19)

Do you disagree with this definition?

Now onto believer. Being a believer is not the same as being a Christian. Being a believer is not the same as "being saved". Let's scratch this word, because it's contentious. Can we replace it with a person who will be saved? A member of Christ? The only external criteria I know for this is baptism (As many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ...). The concept of economia - that is, God's sovereignty and agency to act as He will - covers all other instances. But we have a promise in baptism. Baptism is the ticket to get your member-of-the-church ID card. So we are separating those who have chosen their own belief from those who will be saved, and near as we can tell, the best litmus test for that is baptism.

Uh oh. Which baptism? Well, baptism into the Church, right? Because being born again is being born into Christ, and being born into Christ is to become a member of His Body, which the scriptures tell us is His Church. How do we recognize this Church? Unity of faith, of course, the faith that the prophets foretold, that Christ delivered, that the apostles taught, etc.

So... yes. The creed is to separate heretics from believers. That is, to separate those who choose their own personal beliefs over membership to the Body of Christ.

quote:
I was also referring to extra-Scripture that is given the same weight as Scripture. Tradition is fine, and serves to fill in the gaps. But even your tradition doesn't violate Scripture itself. We both of us consider Scripture does not differ that much to be important (to me anyway. Obviously you feel differently)
How do you think the canon of what is Scripture and "extra-Scripture" was determined?
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG

I just bought this, it is absolutely beautiful.
Zobel
AG
He orthodox forreal
Zobel
AG
Now you need an icon corner for your daily prayers.

May I recommend Saint Demetrius Press?
http://www.saintdemetriuspress.com
Nick Papas is my godfather, so it's a bit of a shameless plug but I love his iconography.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
I spent a ton of money on Icons when I was last in Moscow a few years ago, absolutely love them.

UTExan
I hope you are more at peace with Orthodoxy. Personally, the life of Romanian elder Cleopa (Constantine Ilie) has been very inspirational for me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleopa_Ilie
AgLiving06
This thread kinda confirmed for me some of the hesitations I've had about the Catholic church.

I like listening to Catholic Answers and I've really come to believe the Protestant viewpoint is probably not sufficient anymore.

The flipside is that the move I learned about the Catholic Church, the more I don't think that's the answer either.

I've been looking more at Orthodox Church's and a Greek one is near me in Houston.
7thGenTexan
AG
Did not read thread. Thinking of converting from Deist to the Church of the East. My experience has been they're the best people remaining. Interesting website:
http://katehon.com

If that doesn't convince you:
7thGenTexan
AG
Translation of lyrics:

Beyond the quiet river and birch grove The first spring flower is bursting into bloom And I am simply making a wish And having crossed myself, I will glance to the East The sky will be coloured (lit: colour itself) by scarlet dawn And the eternal sun will rise over the world And a white bird will fly over the earth And bring God's forgiveness from the heavens And something big will make itself known to my heart Such that it is not [possible] to take in in my lifetime And it will become peaceful and sweet like in childhood When my mother hugged me A solemn prayer will flow with tears Sadness will be filled with Christ's love And at that moment my soul will touch The grand entirety with the name of Russia

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.