I like this quote. What do you think?

1,016 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Marco Esquandolas
Amazing Moves
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
"The sciences are not sectarian. People do not persecute each other on account of disagreements in mathematics. Families are not divided about botany, and astronomy does not even tend to make a man hate his father and mother. It is what people do not know, that they persecute each other about. Science will bring, not a sword, but peace."
Robert G. Ingersoll, Some Mistakes of Moses
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Martin Q. Blank
quote:
Science will bring, not a sword, but peace.

Seeking peace is unscientific. Look at nature.
Amazing Moves
quote:

Ha!!! Nice. See what you started, BB.
PacifistAg
AG
quote:
Science will bring, not a sword, but peace.

Gotta disagree with this statement. Science, while it can be used for great things, has also brought us weapons designed to kill masses of people. Science won't bring peace. Love is what will bring peace.
kurt vonnegut
AG
quote:
quote:
"The sciences are not sectarian. People do not persecute each other on account of disagreements in mathematics. Families are not divided about botany, and astronomy does not even tend to make a man hate his father and mother. It is what people do not know, that they persecute each other about. Science will bring, not a sword, but peace."

Its a good quote and I like Ingersoll, but I think his sentiments might better be expressed if he said something to the affect of Reason will bring not a sword, but peace.

To RetiredAg's point, I don't think its fair to blame the process or activity of science for the bad things people do with weaponry.
Frok
AG
If people are behind it then it won't bring peace.
NonReg85
AG
Dude never heard of Climate Change.
Amazing Moves
quote:
quote:
quote:

Its a good quote and I like Ingersoll, but I think his sentiments might better be expressed if he said something to the affect of Reason will bring not a sword, but peace.

To RetiredAg's point, I don't think its fair to blame the process or activity of science for the bad things people do with weaponry.
Reason would have definitely been better.
gordo97
AG
It's all lovely and wonderful and great until science gives us "singularity"
Silent For Too Long
quote:
The vast majority of wars that have ever been fought were first justified by Reason. The fundamental merits of Reason are restricted by the ethics and morals of the person who is wielding it. History is replete with examples of atrocious events logically and rationally justified previous to their occurrence.

Objectivism is a perfect example. Say what you will about Rand and her ilk, but I don't think even her harshest critics would accuse her of lacking Reason.
quote:
I tend to agree, but I would also say the same exact thing about religion.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
Yeah that quote is thoroughly lacking because it fails to admit that, for all it's flaws, religious belief provides answers to existential problems and questions that science cannot help but be silent on.

Go listen to the song "Higgs Boson Blues" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and read the lyrics and contemplate the meaning. I think you'll find it thought provoking, OP.

As a scientist, I love science. But Science is no kind of salvation.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.