God's Regrets and Divine Foreknowledge

905 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by chuckd
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://reknew.org/2014/10/gods-regrets-and-divine-foreknowledge/
quote:

Some may object that if God regretted a decision he made, he must not be perfectly wise. Wouldn't God be admitting to making a mistake? Two considerations lead me to answer this question in the negative.

First, it is better to allow Scripture to inform us regarding the nature of divine wisdom than to reinterpret an entire motif in order to square it with our preconceptions of divine wisdom. If God says he regretted a decision, and if Scripture elsewhere tells us that God is perfectly wise, then we should simply conclude that one can be perfectly wise and still regret a decision. Even if this is a mystery to us, it is better to allow the mystery to stand than to assume that we know what God's wisdom is like and conclude on this basis that God can't mean what he clearly says.

My second point, however is that in the open view there is little mystery involved in accepting that God can regret his own previous decisions. Once we understand that the future is partly open and that humans are genuinely free, the paradox of how God could experience genuine regret over a decision he made disappears. God made a wise decision because it had the greatest possibility of yielding the best results. God's decision wasn't the only variable in this matter, however, there was also the variable of Saul's will. Saul freely strayed from God's plan, but that is not God's fault, nor does it make God's decision unwise.
amercer
AG
It only works if you can take the infinities out of the equation.
chuckd
AG
God foresees and decrees all things at once from eternity. Any mention of regret, repentance, emotions, etc. is language accommodated to us because of our weakness, not God's.
kurt vonnegut
AG
From the perspective of the article . . .

Would the idea that God is capable of regretting a decision allow for permission of humans to question a decision by God?
craigernaught
AG
I think all those infinities make for quite a boring god. Seem to me to be an attempt to force a western conception of the divine onto a god who acts in history in the OT with surprising emotion and in the person of jesus christ with surprising weakness. I would rather have our philosophy directed by revelation rather than our revelation directed by our philosophy.
Silent For Too Long
quote:
From the perspective of the article . . .

Would the idea that God is capable of regretting a decision allow for permission of humans to question a decision by God?
Possibly. However if you also accept that God is most wise then I would think that would lead to one having faith that God's decisions were the best decisions, even while simultaneously questioning their reasoning.

Maybe it's a question of "questioning" versus "wondering"? It probably wouldn't be advisable to be belligerent to a wise and powerful deity, either way. However uncertainty would seem to be inevitable, and expected (from His perspective), at times, regardless of the ultimate parameters.

It's a good discussion, though. Although I still play around with the concept of the infinitely perfect static being, a dynamic personal God is significantly easier to comprehend. I sometimes wonder if its ultimately both. Like, say, the fundamental essence of God being the former, while the personality and conscience of God being the latter.
chuckd
AG
quote:
I think all those infinities make for quite a boring god. Seem to me to be an attempt to force a western conception of the divine onto a god who acts in history in the OT with surprising emotion and in the person of jesus christ with surprising weakness. I would rather have our philosophy directed by revelation rather than our revelation directed by our philosophy.
Jesus' weakness was due to his humanity. A god who acts with emotions reacts to his creation and is pantheistic. God acts in history according to his volition. He does not react to his creation, but knows all things at once.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.