Once Upon It Was Possible to Discuss Theology On This Board

19,505 Views | 248 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Cyprian
SigChiDad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
But no longer. It has become an echo chamber for smug, condescending, bullying atheists. If a Christian does dare post, they are immediately mocked, flamed and bullied by atheists at about a 6:1 ratio. As a consequence, most of the best Christian participants have left.

I think it would be nice to have a TexAgs Christian or theist board, simply to allow a return of the theological discussions that used to be so common here.
Beer Baron
AG
At the risk of being smug, condescending, and bullying, this is a prime example of the persecution complex we've been discussing on another thread.
Rocag
AG
Funny, my impression was the board has been overrun by posts from Christians obsessing over homosexuality.

Personally I tend to not reply in threads in which it is clearly one Christian seeking opinions from other Christians on a particular topic. They just don't really interest me. And I suspect if you really wanted to have a theological discussion with other Christians you would be perfectly able to do so with a minimum of interference. But that ends when the topic strays towards atheism or nonbelievers because then you are talking about something relevant to non-Christians on the forum.
Frok
AG
This board has lost a lot of good posters. I think it's just lacking good topics. We spend a lot of time trying to point out how bad the other side is rather than discussing the topic with a sober-mind. That's just the nature of the internet though. It won't change.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
Not a whole lot of philosophy discussed in here either.
Knife_Party
I want to have a science board. The nerdery doesn't quite cut it, politics is horrible, the general board is atrocious, and this place...well you get the picture. I'm not really sure where the best place is to discuss science.
JimLeahy
I see maybe two or three topics on the first page that are really threads not for atheists and they all have less than ten posts by fellow Christians and none by atheists. I don't see Christians trying to have deep theological discussion and as much as you may say its an atheist echo chamber it's just as much a Christian one imo.

Can you link to one of these old great theological discussions?
PacifistAg
AG
quote:
But no longer. It has become an echo chamber for smug, condescending, bullying atheists. If a Christian does dare post, they are immediately mocked, flamed and bullied by atheists at about a 6:1 ratio. As a consequence, most of the best Christian participants have left.

Really? Most hostility I've faced here has been from fellow Christians. I agree, though, that this board has become unpleasant.
Beer Baron
AG
I've been posting here for years, and lurked for years before that, and it's always been pretty unpleasant.
747Ag
AG
We've migrated from Catholics and Protestants bickering with each other to Atheists and Theists (Christians, really) bickering with each other. And we need more beer.

From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world.

The church is near, but the road is icy; the tavern is far, and I will walk carefully.
Martin Q. Blank
quote:
At the risk of being smug, condescending, and bullying, this is a prime example of the persecution complex we've been discussing on another thread.
quote:
Funny, my impression was the board has been overrun by posts from Christians obsessing over homosexuality.

Don't come out the gates confirming the OP. Wait for at least a couple posts from Christians first.
schmendeler
AG
is there room for burgers, too?

Woody2006
AG
quote:
quote:

Really? Most hostility I've faced here has been from fellow Christians. I agree, though, that this board has become unpleasant.
I ventured onto the politics board recently, and my goodness... this board is a delight compared to that one.
747Ag
AG
Yes, but I will need to amend my choice of beer to better compliment the burger.

Beer Baron
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Don't come out the gates confirming the OP. Wait for at least a couple posts from Christians first.
It's not like I derailed an actual theological thread. Like others have pointed out generally when Christians bother discussing such topics they're left alone to discuss them because the atheists don't care. Those threads then quickly sink to the bottom of the page because apparently the Christians don't either. They'd rather keep starting threads about The Gays.
Woody2006
AG
There was a long thread about Church of Christ and Mennonites recently and I don't remember atheists bullying anyone in that discussion. It tended to be Christians bullying other Christians who like music with their worship.

I couldn't care less to derail an actual theological discussion. There just aren't very many of them, and that isn't our fault.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
Fact is a lot of the religious discussions are really politics discussions with religious overtones. The most recent travesty was started by Seamaster but there are many others.
diehard03
quote:
Fact is a lot of the religious discussions are really politics discussions with religious overtones. The most recent travesty was started by Seamaster but there are many others.

This.
Frok
AG
I'm still thinking about that burger posted above. Fatty want!
Knife_Party
quote:
There was a long thread about Church of Christ and Mennonites recently and I don't remember atheists bullying anyone in that discussion. It tended to be Christians bullying other Christians who like music with their worship.

I remember that thread. I posted early on it because I was legitimately curious about Church of Christ and differences. The person who was responding about it was jumped all over by the other Christians, and I was one of the only people who was appreciative and non-judgmental towards his posts. I am what this board would consider an atheist or agnostic.
schmendeler
AG
it's been a year or so since I had one, but i believe fatty can still get one (fajita burger) at ninfa's on navigation in Houston.
fishinaggiegirl
AG
quote:

I think it would be nice to have a TexAgs Christian or theist board, simply to allow a return of the theological discussions that used to be so common here.
I would agree. But it has made me realize how many atheists/agnostics are out there.
SapperAg
AG
What kind of atheist, out of curiosity, is cool to post on this board and on what topics, in your opinion?
SigChiDad
AG
quote:
What kind of atheist, out of curiosity, is cool to post on this board and on what topics, in your opinion?
Couldn't care less. I simply miss the days when there was a TexAgs forum that many well educated, articulate Christians participated in. There isn't anymore. There is maybe 10% the level of Christian participation on this forum that there was six years ago. Hell, we used to have so many Catholics here that we could have liberal vs. orthodox Catholic threads. There used to even be an SSPX member starting threads on this forum! Believe it or not, Booboo used to be in favor of legalized abortion- don't know if he still is or not-not enough Catholics left for it ever to come up.

I believe that they left because they realize that this is almost exclusively a place for trolling, mockery, and self righteous atheist vituperation.
fishinaggiegirl
AG
quote:
quote:
Couldn't care less. I simply miss the days when there was a TexAgs forum that many well educated, articulate Christians participated in. There isn't anymore. There is maybe 10% the level of Christian participation on this forum that there was six years ago.

I believe that they left because they realize that this is almost exclusively a place for trolling, mockery, and self righteous atheist vituperation.
I stay away for this reason. I cannot believe the mockery of God that goes on in threads.
SapperAg
AG
quote:
quote:
Couldn't care less. I simply miss the days when there was a TexAgs forum that many well educated, articulate Christians participated in. There isn't anymore. There is maybe 10% the level of Christian participation on this forum that there was six years ago.

If you couldn't care less, then why the name-calling?
SapperAg
AG
quote:
I stay away for this reason. I cannot believe the mockery of God that goes on in threads.

So no questioning the philosophical underpinnings of Christianity allowed?
Martin Q. Blank
Enter Sapper and his Socratic method to teach us his superiority. ib4 "read x,y,z book and get back to me."
SapperAg
AG
Oh look, Martin is here. Martin is a useful reminder of just how many religious asses like to pop up on this board. Thanks for the reminder, Martin!
Martin Q. Blank
You're supposed to teach us in the form of a question.
SapperAg
AG
Got it: who is the biggest ass on this board?

I'll give you a hint: he isn't an atheist.
craigernaught
AG
I agree that this has been a bad place to talk theology but I don't think it's because of the atheists or agnostics. There just aren't many threads on theology.

Start one.
schmendeler
AG
quote:

well, the Mormons were run off, agbeliever isn't worth talking to, and notafraid was banned. so there goes a lot of the discussions. (Mormons are dumb, evolution is dumb, arminianism is dumb)
Beer Baron
AG
quote:
Why not?
PacifistAg
AG
quote:

I've seen just as much "trolling, mockery and self righteous vituperation from professed Christians on here as I have from atheists and non-religious. That's often what leads me to take a break from the board.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.