An Ordinary Shepherd - My new video series

7,552 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ramblin_ag02
ramblin_ag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hello everyone! I dropped back by to schill for my new video series. It's basically me going over random bible topics with cheesy graphics.

1st video is "What did Jesus REALLY sacrifice?"
http://youtu.be/G8Uejrz-vNc
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ramblin_ag02
AG
New video is up!

"What Must Christians Sacrifice for Eternal Life?" http://youtu.be/12SJP-uN-Hg
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ramblin_ag02
AG
"Two Testaments, One Bible" video is up!
http://youtu.be/wn2CSGjoo2U
Just a basic, basic look at the context of the "Old" and "New"
ramblin_ag02
AG
Spring break is over and the latest video is ready. "One Christian, Two Natures"
Can you lose your salvation? Why do Christians keep sinning?
Find out this and more!
http://youtu.be/lN7rsoNH4LA
primrose
thank you, Ramblin'.

I liked that. very good.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Glad you liked it. Thanks for the feedback
mikeag05
I've tried to keep up with a podcast before and it's tough and a lot of work. Keep at it. You only get better with practice.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Mike, lets hope you're right
ramblin_ag02
AG
I'm doing a video series looking at the Ten Commandments. The first covers idolatry (1st or first two commandments depending on how you count.)

http://youtu.be/cHQKnbiNQuI

An offshoot video is shortly upcoming dealing with generational punishment (the sins of the father)
ramblin_ag02
AG
As promised, here's a short video addressing the implication of generational punishment at the end of the second commandment

http://youtu.be/RcPWxX0FRXQ
ramblin_ag02
AG
Next video in the series is ready. It the first of 2 on the 3rd Commandment. What's in a Name?

http://youtu.be/xtLQmNCWqXI
ramblin_ag02
AG
Next video is up. This is the follow-up on the 3rd commandment. It address prophets, specifically how to recognize a true prophet and discern false prophets.

http://youtu.be/dlzQfIit5ao
Win At Life
AG
You know I’m anxiously awaiting your next video.
DirtDiver
quote:
"What Must Christians Sacrifice for Eternal Life?"

Matthew
Example 1: man sells all he has
Example 2: man sells everything he has

I watched this video and there's quite a bit of confusion. 1. You claimed that man does not earn his salvation and that it's a gift. 2. You contradicted this claim by quoting 2 verses in Matthew. In both verses as your proof text the man sells everything he has. However, you do not tell the audience that they must sell everything they have. Why is that?

Matthew is an amazing book. Most of the book is about the Kingdom not eternal life. A simple word count will help.

Eternal Life in Matthew: 4 times
Eternal Life in John: 17 times

Kingdom in Matthew: 54 times
Kingdom in John: 3 times

The cost of eternal life for us is faith. One must believe that Jesus Christ died for our own personal sins and that he rose from the dead. This is the moment the Holy Spirit is given.

Eternal life (Salvation/justification) becoming a Christian = free through faith.

Once a person is saved if they follow Christ in discipleship it will cost them everything.
DirtDiver
dp

[This message has been edited by DirtDiver (edited 7/11/2014 3:08p).]
ramblin_ag02
AG
Dirtdiver,

Thanks for watching the video! I also appreciate the feedback and discussion. I'll try to explain my thoughts a little bit better.
I don't think we have substantial disagreement here. In my reading, the kingdom of heaven consists of God, his angels, and saved people whether alive or dead. Since you can't get eternal life without a membership in the Kingdom and vice versa, I often read them interchangeably.

The other point is a little trickier. Count me as someone who thinks the Bible teaches that faith saves, but that faith is more than just mental acknowledgement that the whole story of Christ is true. For instance, a person could mentally acknowledge the story of Jesus as truth in all regards and implications and then purposefully reject salvation and act contrary to God's will. I would not consider that person to be saved or have faith despite the fact they have some type of "belief".

Then at what point past mental acknowledgement is someone saved? I would argue, and did in the referenced video, that salvation and the gift of the Spirit occurs when someone makes the decision to submit themselves entirely to God's Will.

The two parables invoked show the attitude we should have. We should be enthusiastic to gain the Kingdom, even if it means giving up everything we have. Which it sort of does, considering we have to die at some point.

I didn't tell people to go sell their belongings. First, people couldn't buy into the Kingdom with that money anyway. Second, God has a different plan for every person, but we need to be willing to use whatever we have to do whatever He wants.
ramblin_ag02
AG
http://youtu.be/t8LadOIkNgE

My next video is up. The topic is the Sabbath old and new. Hope you enjoy!
ramblin_ag02
AG
Sorry for the layoff for anyone still watching. I have two videos up now and two more on the way.

First, Honor your father and mother. This gets sort of confusing in the New Testament anyway

Second, Don't Murder. Pretty straight-forward I would think, but hopefully you'll get something new from it.

As always, comments and criticisms are welcome

dermdoc
AG
The only problem with the word "sacrifice" by us makes it sound like we are going to live sad, horrible lives to non believers. And the only sacrifice necessary is Christ's.

I personally believe the Commandments lead us to richer, fuller lives, and happier lives.

If I was a non Christian and read some of the stuff Christians write and say I would sometimes think I need to become a monk or torture myself.

Now I feel happy helping folks and following the Commandments but when you obligate folks who are not led in that direction it bothers me.
dermdoc
AG
And I would bet every Christian on here has a different idea of their walk and what they supposedly "give up" for God. And I don't think God wants anything from us but love and a relationship.

I think we need to be very careful using OUR definitions of what a Christian should be doing unless it is obvious stuff.
ramblin_ag02
AG
dermdoc,

I appreciate your opinion, and I agree that Christ's sacrifice is all that really matters. Without Him, salvation is impossible.

However, Jesus gave instruction to His followers on how to live their lives. When people ignore those instructions because they don't "need to follow any rules to be saved", then we get examples of really terrible behavior from people who profess to be Christian. Not only does that make us terrible witnesses, but even worse it reflects badly on Christ.

I tried to make clear in the video that everyone's sacrifice is different. I have not been called, yet, to sacrifice my career, my family relationships, or my homeland in service to Christ. All that matters for us is the willingness to do so if called.
dermdoc
AG
Who defines really terrible behavior? I like to drink wine but am not a drunkard. And go to Vegas 1-2 times a year. Not on Paul's list but I guarantee there are Christians who would think I am sinning. Does going to a "R" rated movie count? And I know a ton of some of the best Christians I know who cuss like sailors. Only God knows the heart my friend.

It is an awful slippery slope when humans start defining when a Christian "loses" their salvation.
dermdoc
AG
And I have a problem with your title "What Christians have to sacrifice for eternal life?"

Christ sacrificed and is sufficient.
ramblin_ag02
AG
quote:
Who defines really terrible behavior?

There is really a large part of both the Old and New Testament were God explicitly defines good and bad behavior. This starts with the Ten Commandments but it is expounded upon throughout. That's one reason why I am running through the Ten Commandments now.
ramblin_ag02
AG
quote:
And I have a problem with your title "What Christians have to sacrifice for eternal life?"

Christ sacrificed and is sufficient.

But if nothing at all is required of Christians, then why wouldn't everyone of every faith be saved the same way?
dermdoc
AG
Christ was the perfect sacrifice. Our choice is faith and acceptance of the gift of the Holy Spirit.

God pursued me out of love and came to me where I was. Jesus blood is sufficient.

I own my own business and see thousands of patients a year. It amazes me how some of the "super" Christians who never swear or have a cocktail are the ones who won't pay their bills.

What "terrible behavior"(as you define it)separates a Christian who has been justified by the blood of Christ from God?

It seems you are confusing justification with sanctification which is a long, sometimes bumpy road.

And I love you and The Lord but it seems that every theology book I have read sets different standards to be "truly" saved. As the author describes it of course. And it gets tiresome.
dermdoc
AG
And if gluttony counts as "terrible behavior" then a lot of the preachers I know are in bad shape on judgement day.

Peace
dermdoc
AG
And one more thing. When you get to the part in the NT where women are told to cover their heads, not wear jewelry or makeup, and not speak in church let me know how it goes.

I will pray for you when that happens.
ramblin_ag02
AG
quote:
And one more thing. When you get to the part in the NT where women are told to cover their heads, not wear jewelry or makeup, and not speak in church let me know how it goes.

That sounds like a video suggestion! I'll add it to the list
dermdoc
AG
And everyone of every faith isn't saved because they don't know Christ and have faith in him.

That is what saves folks, not anything we do or don't do.
ramblin_ag02
AG
quote:
Our choice is faith and acceptance of the gift of the Holy Spirit.

I think this hits the heart of the matter here. What is faith? Some Christians will tell you that a single silent prayer in an otherwise totally depraved life is sufficient faith for salvation. Most Jewish people, including James, would state that faith that doesn't change behavior is worthless. That video is my answer to that question using my study of Scripture. The answer that I found is probably not comforting to many Christians.
dermdoc
AG
Again, what is totally depraved? Are you talking murder or gossip?

Having a drink or committing adultery?

Drug addiction or women speaking in church?

Remember the thief on the Cross? And you can read the scripture and come up with what you think is depraved behavior. As a
Pastor you know that you can go buy a theology book that says anything that person wants it to.

It is hard to sell a book that just says Jesus Saves.
dermdoc
AG
And how do you reconcile Paul with James as they basically write the exact opposite thing?

James basically says you have to have works after justification to "keep" your salvation, correct?

Paul says the opposite.
dermdoc
AG
Brent, I finished your "Two Spirits" and agree completely.

I thought it would be much more legalistic. Peace my brother.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I'm only overly legalistic 76.785% of the time
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.