Witnessing?

4,173 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Zobel
Jim Hogg is angry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How do I share my faith, more so than just living a lifestyle that shines the light of Jesus Christ? By nature I am a somewhat quiet and relatively easy going guy. There are people in my life though, some close and some distant, to whom I want to share the good news of the gospel. How do I plant seeds that one day might be sewn into difficult and convicting discussions about the atoning blood of Jesus Christ?

I often feel like a cowardly Christian. Help.
fahraint
Pray....... for opportunities...and boldness

And even if you dont want to give out a tract, use one to familiarize yourself with the key points of the gospel, so, you can relate it naturally

Edit...another thought...if your church has folks that contact visitors, team up with someone experienced in gospel presentation, and learn through observing

[This message has been edited by fahraint (edited 5/11/2011 10:11p).]
senorchipotle
AG
get into arguments with us non-believers on texags, it will get you in the mood to brawl. i mean witness.
Texas velvet maestro

[This message has been edited by Texas velvet maestro (edited 5/12/2011 11:36a).]
TOUCHDOWN!
I guarantee you that most everyone you talk to has already heard the " good news."
Hincemm
AG
what a guarantee...awesome
RangerRick9211
AG
Personally, I've seen most opportunities come from simply engaging in daily conversation. It's amazing how my relationships have developed at my office over a few months of me being here by just asking questions.

Honestly, genuine interest and cultivating relationships will lead to opportunities.

[This message has been edited by RangerRick9211 (edited 5/12/2011 8:03a).]
diehard03
I think trying to witness better is missing the point. Try to br closer to God...the rest will take care of itself.
Pro Sandy
AG
http://alookatthelife.blogspot.com/2008/10/lie-for-my-benefit-tell-truth-for-his.html

OP, my thoughts on my blog
Win At Life
AG
Become Messianic and your Torah/biblical observance will be so obvious from the rest of the world (even Christianity) that almost everybody will ask you to witness to them without you even trying.

As I side note, I am a very introverted person myself. I generally prefer most people just leave me alone and I do unto them as I would have them do unto me. That doesn't make for great witnessing. For me, being Messianic forces witnessing just by your every day actions.
RussellB42
Turn on your television. Google "jesus," "christianity," or "bible." There are enough people spreading the word already. You probably live in Texas (given this forum) and so you should know just how prevalent christianity is. You will annoy fewer people and be more approachable if you leave the incessant jesus talk out of your conversational repertoire.
Pro Sandy
AG
Russell reminds us of Jesus saying "blessed are you when you are hated for my name."
It will happen. You will run into those who will mock you and hate you. I had a friend who was a missionary in Yemen where the punishment would have been death. Yet do not let your mouth be silent! Blessed are you!
Frok
AG
We should go out and serve. The best opportunities come from when you meet someone's need first.

Guadaloop474
Put stuff on your desk like the Bible, or some other Christian literature that you read at lunchtime. Those can be great conversation starters. And when the conversation at work turns to babes and booze, walk away and don't participate.

And you can always start your own website like Pro Sandy...
brownbrick
AG
quote:
By nature I am a somewhat quiet and relatively easy going guy. There are people in my life though, some close and some distant, to whom I want to share the good news of the gospel.

Be honest with them. If they are going through a tough decision making process ask them if you could share a little advice and give them Biblically sound advice. You can do this without ever being obnoxious or in your face, and it shows the genuine concern you have for them. You don't even have to tell them where your advice is coming from.

It won't take long for people to notice the difference, in my office it didn't take two months for people to start coming to me for advice on various things either at work or in private.

As others have said, pray for opportunities to share the truth. You'd be amazed how often Christ's truth is the polar opposite of things done in the business world today, especially once you start paying attention. If you start advocating a biblical position and can present it thoroughly and honestly without using the Bible people will not be able to help but notice.

And remember, it isn't your job to convert people, the Holy Spirit does that. Your job is to be salt and light to your co-workers, friends, and family. Sometimes that may require sharing the gospel with them, but most of the time it doesn't.
Pro Sandy
AG
My Sunday school class read a book recently that I think addresses this.

Get Real: Sharing Your Everyday Faith Every Day by John Leonard

I thought the second half was better than the first half, but his main thoughts are that being normal to people verses the stereotypical Ned Flanders is a better witness to the world. We can share with our neighbors, coworkers, society that we are not perfect, that we too hurt, and that is why we all need Jesus.
unimboti nkum
AG
I would recommend leaving people alone.
kurt vonnegut
AG
quote:

I think it's best to try to know one's audience. Some people may be good with it and some people may be turned off by it.
TexAgs91
AG
quote:
Line up and wait 18L
quote:
So they can burn in hell for eternity?
kurt vonnegut
AG
quote:
quote:

At what point do you choose to respect the God given free will you think non believers have to not believe?
Line up and wait 18L
quote:
quote:
quote:

At what point do you choose to respect the God given free will you think non believers have to not believe?
When they take their last breath. Never give up, never.
Sapper Redux
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

So people are not free to be left alone?
Line up and wait 18L
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nope
The Lone Stranger
I recently read a book THE QUIET that is about how our society treats extroverts and introverts. The thesis of the book is that we are prejudiced in favor of extroversion. Though a secular book it deals with questions like these.

To oversimplify, God may lead an extravert to remain silent in a situation, and lead an introvert to speak out. Whichever brings Him the most glory.
Sapper Redux
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nope

That's disturbing
kurt vonnegut
AG
I'm usually inclined to welcome the concern for my soul shown by most Christians as being genuine and well intentioned, but misguided in my humble opinion. GHL's overconfidence that he is right, we are wrong, and that it should be acceptable for him to relentlessly berate those with the 'wrong' beliefs comes off sounding outright rotten and utterly disrespectful. Because I do not know GHL personally, I would like to leave an opportunity open for him to explain his position as something other than a manifestation of a narcissistic personality disorder prior to my judging his statements.
Pro Sandy
AG
Paul explains why w do what we do, but we want all to be reconciled to God. He desires all to be saved.

11 Therefore, knowing the fear of the Lord, we persuade others. But what we are is known to God, and I hope it is known also to your conscience. 12 We are not commending ourselves to you again but giving you cause to boast about us, so that you may be able to answer those who boast about outward appearance and not about what is in the heart. 13 For if we are beside ourselves, it is for God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you. 14 For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; 15 and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised.

16 From now on, therefore, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we once regarded Christ according to the flesh, we regard him thus no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 18 All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; 19 that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. 20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. 21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

2 Corinthians 5:11-21
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Corinthians+5%3A11-21
Sapper Redux
Fine, but at some point just leave me alone. I'm entitled to my personal life and space.
kurt vonnegut
AG
I don't think there is any doubt about whether Christians believe they are called to share and spread the faith. What matters to me is whether or not you are willing to respect others enough as individuals to not judge, harrass, or persecute them for not wanting to share in your particular faith.

I think your religion is nonsense, but I respect the hell out of you as an individual and your right to practice your faith as you see fit. I only ask for the same level of respect. If your faith does not permit you to respect any other philosophy other than your own, then I think your faith is decisive, poisonous, and wholly intellectually dishonest.
Pro Sandy
AG
Ok, so if I haven't been respectable on this board, please let me know. I too sin and don't show love to others that I am called to show and instead use the gospel to hurt instead of heal.
kurt vonnegut
AG
quote:
Ok, so if I haven't been respectable on this board, please let me know. I too sin and don't show love to others that I am called to show and instead use the gospel to hurt instead of heal.

In meant to speak in general terms and not accuse you of anything. I certainly don't feel you are a disrespectful poster. Apologies if my post sounded accusatory.

I think, to the OPs comments about being a witness to his faith, respect is the key. I have no issue with someone sharing their faith or testifying or being a witness to their faith or whatever you want to call it. However, if your goal is to reach the non believer or 'wrong believer' and plant those seeds, then I think it is the decent thing to do to approach that person from a place of respect for them regardless of their beliefs. Gohomeleg's suggestion that prosthletyzing should be constant and against the will of the non believer until the day they die is, as Dr W put it, disturbing. If someone can't share their faith without being a bully, I think that's a problem.
Line up and wait 18L
quote:
I'm usually inclined to welcome the concern for my soul shown by most Christians as being genuine and well intentioned, but misguided in my humble opinion. GHL's overconfidence that he is right, we are wrong, and that it should be acceptable for him to relentlessly berate those with the 'wrong' beliefs comes off sounding outright rotten and utterly disrespectful. Because I do not know GHL personally, I would like to leave an opportunity open for him to explain his position as something other than a manifestation of a narcissistic personality disorder prior to my judging his statements.
Kurt, I don't berate and I don't hound people endlessly either. I do have a laundry list of people that I no longer witness to directly but I pray for. I will never give up praying for them. If you knew me personally I think narcissistic is the last thing you would judge me as.

I could write on endlessly about this but will let it go. I look forward to the possibility of meeting you some day and enjoying face to face conversation.
kurt vonnegut
AG
That may all be well and true. But literally a few posts up you told me that you would never respect my decision to not believe and that I should never be permitted to be left alone to make my own decisions.

I very much enjoy discussing religion and philosophy, but not with people who lack either the will or the humility to be able to respect people with different opinions and beliefs. In other words, happy to meet you, but not if your intention is to lecture me about how I'm wrong and going to hell.
Line up and wait 18L
Hi Kurt. Needless to say I don't multi task well. I literally started reading bits of this in SFO to ORD to RDU to DFW. I'll try and do better. I would never disrespect your desire to or not to discuss any subject. I know that you've heard the gospel presented and are well versed in it. By glibly saying "nope" I meant that I would never give up on someone coming to know Christ through prayer. I failed in my delivery. Sorry about that. I hope you have a great week.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.