What makes bonfire Aggie Bonfire?

2,677 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by diehard03
30_Days
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
continued from here

http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2663495

I've seen some people, too many if you ask me, claim that "bonfire is dead" because it's not held on campus anymore.

I have a serious problem with this distinction.

"off-campus bonfire" is organized by students, led by students, and cut stacked and burned by students. To me that's the only qualifications needed.

The endorsement by university bureaucrats, most of whom did not attend Texas A&M as students, seems to me like the absolute least important possible attribute of Aggie Bonfire.
commando2004
AG
Why was that thread locked?
Grits
AG
Bonfire is alive and well off campus. I'm a senior currently and wanted to get involved this year before I go. I joined a group called the off campus hogs who have been killing trees since the 80's, and at the cut and stack site I have seen some of the most redass aggies you can find. I used to think it would be great to see bonfire back on campus because that's where I used to go with my dad, but after the last few cuts I know it can never return to the campus.

Despite the site change, the traditions have been preserved. On Mondays after cuts you can always tell who was out at the cut site or at stack just by looking at their hands.
diehard03
quote:
I have a serious problem with this distinction.

I'd say you'll save yourself a lot of headache by just allowing people to have their own views of what Aggie Bonfire is or should be. It always meant different things to different people, and those who built it always had a different view than those who watched it...even in it's biggest official form.

It's really not even the same thing. When they say it's not "Aggie Bonfire", they really mean it's not "my version of Aggie Bonfire". It's almost like saying "Your Ford Explorer is not my Nissan Pathfinder".

To which, I say, you're right.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.