*** SUGAR *** (Apple TV+ Series)

1,598 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Rudyjax
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The first two (of eight) episodes debuted Thursday night, and just to be crystal clear up front... this is a weird and plodding show, featuring some truly baffling creative decisions that (so far) hinge on a relatively uninteresting detective case, all captured with some of the most annoying cinematography I've seen in quite some time.

And yet... I'm still somewhat intrigued by overall concept, Collin Farrell is good as always, there's a reverence for old Hollywood that gives the proceedings a slick, cool vibe, and critics keep talking about a huge twist that happens roughly halfway through the season, so I'm at least sticking around long enough to see what the hell it is.

So, yeah, if anyone's looking to kill some time with a show that's not great, but not bad either, and you're as curious about the twist as I am (despite some people calling it "maddening," which only makes me more intrigued), Sugar is the show for you...

Sugar
Season 1 (8 Episodes)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13210838/
April 5, 2024
Apple TV+

TRD-Ferguson
AG
Wife and I watched the first episode tonight. Agree with all your comments. Has that new Perry Mason and Monsieur Spade vibe which we both enjoyed. We'll stick with it.
Sex Panther
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I watched the first episode and probably won't continue unless people start raving about it here. The wish fulfillment that is John Sugar is a bit overbearing (he's a genius detective, expert fighter, apparently rich, loves classic movies, always wearing a nice suit, savior to the undomiciled, etc.). Saying that out loud makes him sound like Sherlock or Batman, so I guess the character isn't completely unprecedented, but a little more grating the way he is written in this show, especially when his flaws do not seem to be faults of his own.

The mystery is lame so far, and don't seem to warrant his complete fascination with the case. The cuts to classic films are both annoying and feel a bit pretentious.

The being able to drink without getting drunk, the stabbing himself in the neck with a medication, and the "glitching" that he experiences seem to all point to a likely sci-fi angle, although I'd hope not given how absurd that'd be based on just the first episode.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TCTTS
AG
My guess is everything you're critiquing has to do with whatever twist is coming. He seems too cool/good by design, and yes, I'm thinking there's a sci-fi angle as well, as crazy as that might be. Especially since the magazines he was given don't feature any known/real filmmakers, according to the Segal son/grandson who stole them. Point is, I think the pretentiousness is a feature not a bug.
C@LAg
Sex Panther said:

agreed.
TCTTS
AG
For anyone who cares, episode three was miles better than the first two. It's starting to put the mystery of the imminent twist above the mystery of the case, and it works so much better in that mode. Overall, it's still nothing great or special, but I'm at least a lot more engaged now than I was.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Yep, interesting episode for sure! More moving parts.
agdaddy04
AG
I'm enjoying it. They mentioned right away why the case is consuming him even if they haven't given a whole backstory. I like that it's not just a "normal" show.
TCTTS
AG
It's not terrible and is (for the most part) keeping my attention, but I'm going to need that big twist to come in the next episode.
goadius6
AG
Just wanted to come here and say that wife and i started it on Sunday night and have gotten through 4 episodes. I love it, it's almost like David Lynch made True Detective type of show, i think it's great and excited to see what happens
Claude!
How propulsive is it?
goadius6
AG
Claude! said:

How propulsive is it?
I think it has a good pace to it
TCTTS
AG
99% sure he's just a country mouse giving me sh*t for using such a big, fancy word in another thread.
goadius6
AG
HA! Ya i saw that thread later and realized this
TCTTS
AG
Btw, the big twist is confirmed to be happening this week. I've seen multiple tweets now, and even heard on a podcast yesterday, from critics who have already seen the whole series, who are basically giddy for everyone else to finally see how apparently batsh*t the twist is.
Rudyjax
AG

Quote:

So, yeah, if anyone's looking to kill some time with a show that's not great, but not bad either, and you're as curious about the twist as I am (despite some people calling it "maddening," which only makes me more intrigued), Sugar is the show for you...
There are so many good shows I have to get to that with this glowing review I"m going to pass.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.