A sequel to... The Social Network?

9,026 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by The Porkchop Express
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Social Network is easily one of my top five movies of the century so far. I remember reading the script for it about a year and a half before it came out, and it was - and still is - one of the best scripts I'd ever read. Around that time, however, anyone I would tell that to thought I was crazy. I remember the idea of a movie about the founding of Facebook sounding incredibly dubious to most people, no matter how effusive I was in my praise. Then casting began, and that amazing trailer hit about a year later, and the rest is history.

Now, with everything that's happened to Facebook since 2010 - especially in the past couple of years, which some might argue has been even more compelling - Sorkin himself (along with producer Scott Rudin, apparently) is saying the original now deserves a sequel. So... if they could get Sorkin AND Fincher back (along with Eisenberg, obviously), would you be into this idea? Could they bottle that magic and prove doubters wrong yet again? I never in a million thought I'd want a sequel, but now I'm at least curious, if and ONLY if Sorkin and Fincher are involved.

What do you think?

[Incidences where threads have gotten personal have been more frequent recently on this board and that was trying to be avoided on this thread. At the time of the edit, there were already other posts that were off topic and only responding to that comment and nothing else in the OP so a decision was made to remove that comment in order to keep the thread on topic. As a general rule when a post requires editing we remove the entire post instead of taking out one or two sentences in order to stop problem posters from sneaking in inappropriate content in long posts. In this case an exception was made and the explanation given came across more pointed than what intended toward the OP. We do our best to try and keep threads on this board polite and on topic and from time to time inside jokes may get edited or removed by mistake. Hopefully this clears up the reason for the edit. -Staff]

Pignorant
AG
You could do some sick shots of Zuckerberg on his Hawaii estate.
AgMarauder04
AG
Twitter?
Instagram?

Oh oh oh!

SNAPCHAT!!!
israeliag
AG
Quote:

if and ONLY if Sorkin and Fincher are involved
Gotta agree, and to your point - I wouldn't just be OK with a sequel in that case, I'd be honestly really looking forward to it in that case.

Would it fair well with just Sorkin's collection of various new reports and insider accounts, rather than adapting it off of someone's work?
Hello there
IN.

Get everyone back, including TR.
TCTTS
AG
Sorkin is a pretty great researcher in his own right. Also, he didn't quite adapt The Accidental Billionaires in the traditional sense. He wrote his script at roughly the same time Mezrich was finishing his book and they were constantly trading notes. I think Sorkin might have had an early copy of Mezrich's unfinished manuscript, and started with that, but he added a ton of his own research to the script and even the book.
MookieBlaylock
AG
I thought Tom hanks and Hermione already made the sequel
israeliag
AG
Great insight - thanks!
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I was going to say they should wait a few more years, but they can make a sequel now, and then another in 10 years, because I'm sure more stuff is going to continue to come out/happen with Facebook. It could be like the Before trilogy. Just make a movie every decade or so about Facebook.
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

What do you think?

i think so, but it's a slam dunk "yes" if you get reznor and ross back to do the score too
Post removed:
by user
rhutton125
AG
2 Social 2 Network
MAROON
AG
third coast.. said:

I still can't believe people watched a movie about the founding of a website.
you can't believe people would watch a movie about the start up of the company with the fifth largest market cap in the world, a company that was started in a dorm room. an idea which might have been stolen from other students, a company where the original members sued each other, a movie where the original members had sex with two Asian hotties in a bathroom ,.....really?
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
jackie childs
third coast.. said:

i have never used facebook in my life, but i think The Social Network is one of the best movies i've seen in the last 20 years
Post removed:
by user
rhutton125
AG
At first I was put off by Eisenberg/Zuckerberg in the movie, but once I realized he wasn't the hero of the story, I quite enjoyed it. The first 15 minutes are worth a watch, and you can see if you're on board after that.
The Anchor
AG
third coast.. said:

No i just never ever got the appeal. I think it's ridiculous and have zero plans on watching it ever. Same with Jobs or whatever it was. Those just dont appeal to me. I watched the google knockoff The Circle and it was absolutely terrible. I dont know, this stuff just doesn't move the needle for me at all. Oh well, to each their own.
You're missing a fantastic movie. The Circle sucked.
Redstone
AG
Fincher and Mann are my favorite directors. I've been excited to follow this project from the early discussions.
Post removed:
by user
Redstone
AG
T, I have affection for you over the years. This board is all in good fun and it's cool you know almost as much as I do.
Redstone
AG
That's interesting. I wish I still lived in Bryan sometimes, including being able to talk to Brandon IRL, because I caught some perma on Politics (obviously rescinded) that we could fairly say I have opinions about.
Sex Panther
AG
third coast.. said:

Not to sound like a dick, but this is just a ridiculous take. It may not appeal to you personally, but the story is undoubtedly fascinating. And you may not like Facebook, or have an account, or simply think it's the downfall of society... but the fact is it's one of the largest and most important companies in history and has legitimately changed the world... and it started as some dorks at Harvard trying to bang chicks at other schools. And I never saw Jobs because I heard it was so disappointing and indeed didn't look interesting. Which is a bummer because he definitely was interesting... but I laugh that you're comparing this to The Circle. Which I heard is one of the worst movies of the last decade... The Social Network is a masterpiece, and it's a crime it didn't win Best Picture.

I'd be all in on a sequel, but only if they pulled no punches. Facebook has done some straight up sinister **** the last few years.
TriAg2010
AG
Seesh I could write this...

Senator Graham: "Mr. Zuckerberg? Mr. Zuckerberg, do I have your full attention?"
Post removed:
by user
Hello there
Quote:

No i just never ever got the appeal. I think it's ridiculous and have zero plans on watching it ever. Same with Jobs or whatever it was. Those just dont appeal to me. I watched the google knockoff The Circle and it was absolutely terrible. I dont know, this stuff just doesn't move the needle for me at all. Oh well, to each their own.

TCTTS
AG
TresPuertas
AG
Its an interesting concept and I'd like to see a sequel as long as the original cast and directors and writers are on board.

I'll be on board saying that I too think the original was one of the best movies of the last decade. It passes the age old test of "if its on, I'm watching it" which is my barometer about how good a movie is.

Like many on here, I'm sure the original movie peaked a lot of curiosity and I went through and tried to learn more about the real story. What I found out is that most of it was true, but there were some liberties taken to make the story more appealing, specifically the Zaverin and Sean Parker conflict. From what I've read that was all made up in order to make a better story and that the two, according to Parker, never really had any trouble getting along. It may not make a difference in the overall current day story, but it will be interesting how they handled this.

They also made Zaverin a sympathetic figure in the first one and from what I've read, he's hardly that.

Either way, if done correctly by the right people I'd be 100% in on this.
Philo B 93
I'm in for the sequel. Hope it happens.

As for the drama between staff, TCTTS, and Redstone in this thread....... WTF?

I'm starting to think there's an opportunity for Sorkin right there in College Station. How about a script for "The Aggie Network"?
West Point Aggie
AG
As someone who is NOT on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, or twitter, TexAgs and another fan forum is about as close to "social network" as it gets for me...

I'm all for TexAgs the movie!!
Redstone
AG
Dang this thread has been continuously sliced and diced like Dana Carvey choppin' tha broccoli

At least I got a good number of stars out of it - would appreciate more, by the way
Hello there
Who's playing Redstone?

My vote:
Ezra Brooks
AG
jackie childs said:

third coast.. said:

i have never used facebook in my life, but i think The Social Network is one of the best movies i've seen in the last 20 years
Same for me.

I'll stop and watch the movie anytime I see it on tv - but I've never used Facebook...it's just an intriguing story.

I'm watching "Valley of the Boom" now with just as much interest.
Redstone
AG
Broba Fett
Pignorant said:

You could do some sick shots of Zuckerberg on his Hawaii estate.

You cannot match his style.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.