NPR review of Rampage

3,900 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by BCG Disciple
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Funniest thing I've read in a while. An excerpt:

It is hella-unafraid to ask the hella-big questions, such as What if a wolf were the size of a battleship and could fly, and What if an alligator were the size of a submarine and got mad at the flying wolf?

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/11/600941285/rampage-lowers-the-bar-on-razing-a-city
wangus12
AG
Obviously this movie doesn't stay true to the source material and is an abject failure
Ol Jock 99
AG
Whoa there. Take that to the "Rampage Official Spoilers Allowed" thread.
amercer
AG
Just think how much better the arcade game could have been if you could have played as The Rock.
SeattleAgJr
Damn, movie kept asking me to deposit $0.25 every 10 minutes for the movie to continue....
TCTTS
AG
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Already have tickets for Friday for "The Fast & the Furry-ous"
hurleyag
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Damn, movie kept asking me to deposit $0.25 every 10 minutes for the movie to continue....
schmendeler
AG
Quote:

Morgan plays the sort of go-anywhere government operative who never presents any credentials and who works for an agency so secret he can't name it, but walks around with a flashy pearl-handled semiautomatic in a hip holster over his suit and refers to himself in the third person as "this old cowboy." It never gets old! (It gets a little old.)
israeliag
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Funniest thing I've read in a while. An excerpt:

It is hella-unafraid to ask the hella-big questions, such as What if a wolf were the size of a battleship and could fly, and What if an alligator were the size of a submarine and got mad at the flying wolf?

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/11/600941285/rampage-lowers-the-bar-on-razing-a-city

Such a great review. I kept reading parts I was intending on quoting here, but quickly realized that had I done so, I'd have quoted 3/4 of the article.
Quad Dog
AG
This movie might be the one my son is most hyped to see. Giant gorilla, wolves, and alligators attack a city and only The Rock can stop them? My nine year old was in at giant gorilla.
Max Power
AG
I figured everyone that currently or ever worked for NPR had no actual sense of humor outside of laughing their asses off and David Sedaris books, I have been disproven.
TMoney2007
AG
wangus12 said:

Obviously this movie doesn't stay true to the source material and is an abject failure
I know right... The book was so much better...

Quote:

The name of Johnson's character is Davis Okoye, and I note this because it is clearly the detail on which Rampage's four credited screenwriters have expended the lion's share of their combined intellectual candlepower. No other choice the movie makes has that kind of specificity: It's just your typical mid-budget space-station-crashes-releasing-artificially-engineered-pathogen-into-the-atmosphere-causing-exactly-one-wolf-and-one-crocodile-to-mutate-into-living-WMDs exercise.
I like this bit.
nai06
AG
This is about what I expected from this movie yet I am still going to happily see it
TCTTS
AG
Rocagnante
AG
Hopefully at least one of them eats a soldier with a flame thrower and the breathes fire....
dreyOO
My son is only five, but there's a place near me that has a Rampage arcade game. We made it to level 47 before finally bowing out. Anyway, he's actually stoked about watching this with me since he knows it's based off the game. Not sure why, but I love that he will have that same connection to the game/movie as I do.
I don't care about the reviews. When I first saw the trailer in the theater, I looked at my significant other and said, " **** yeah!" We got tickets for tomorrow night. Can't wait!
Azariah
AG
TCTTS said:

"We fought a zoo" sounds like an amazing movie.
Max Power
AG
I don't plan on seeing Rampage, but if they changed the name to Terms of Enrampagement I would be there out of respect to Archer.
Gigem314
AG
If ya smeeeeeeelllll...what the Rampage is cookin'

With a special appearance by Negan.
Rocagnante
AG

SeattleAgJr
Seattle Times review:

Only two things need to be said about "Rampage": It's really terrible, and I enjoyed it immensely. What, you want to hear more? OK, here's why I loved it:
  • The Rock. I know he's Dwayne Johnson now, but I just want to call him, affectionately, The Rock. I don't think he'd mind. In "Rampage," he plays Davis Okoye, a primatologist who likes animals better than people (like every animal scientist in every movie ever) and who has taught sign language to his favorite silverback gorilla, George. Davis works in a wildlife reserve, where the animals are all calmed by his presence and in touch with their feelings, as well they might be. I certainly was. Even when he's kicking in security doors, and helping people parachute out of falling planes, and magically flying broken helicopters all of which he does in the course of this film nothing rattles this man. I know I said this before when I reviewed "San Andreas," but in case of disaster natural or otherwise I just want to be standing near The Rock.
  • The Rogue Genetic Experiment Gone Terribly Awry. In a nutshell: Animals get really, really big I could explain why, but it's tiresome and you might start asking questions I'm not equipped to answer and begin to rampage. George gets enormous and loses touch with his feelings. Some random wolf gets enormous (30 feet!) and joins forces with George, like some mutant animal-kingdom version of Bonnie & Clyde. They head for Chicago, prompting someone in, I think, the military to utter the immortal line "What are they doing, and why are they going to Chicago?" This inexplicably cracked me up. (Maybe they wanted to go to a Cubs game? Or take a meeting with Oprah?) Oh, and there's also an enormous alligator-y thing, introduced with "There's something big in the river!"
  • The Discredited Geneticist. Shouldn't every action thriller involve a discredited geneticist? Or at least a credited one? This one is played by Naomie Harris, who is an actual Oscar nominee ("Moonlight") and maybe just wanted to stand near The Rock for a while. I can't blame her. There's also a Cagey Government Agent (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) who snickers throughout, and I will not judge him for that.
  • The Dialogue. Oh, the dialogue. From its very early scenes ("Something went wrong with the test!") to its action sequences ("Get people the hell out of that city!," as if emptying Chicago is just a matter of pointing to the exits) to its aftermath ("I can't believe we survived that!" someone actually says) it's just deliciously bad.
  • The Rock, again, because he almost made me believe everything in this movie, despite everything listed above and the cheesily grayish special effects (viewed, for the record, in 2D non-IMAX). Not because he's an astonishingly good actor, but because he seems like he wouldn't lie to us, and because he's just good company. This is what movies like "Rampage" need, along with enormous animals on mysterious jaunts to the Midwest. Bring on "Rampage 2"!

rhutton125
AG
How casually the Rock suggests evacuating Chicago was my favorite part of the trailer.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
It was big. It was dumb. It was a helluva lot of fun.

Up until the last half hour, the movie coasted along purely on the remarkable charisma of the Rock. After that, the massive destruction of Chicago took center stage and was just awesome.

If the thought of a giant gorilla, wolf and crocodile crushing a major city interests you, then this movie is a blast.
BCG Disciple
AG
Finally got around to watching this. Enjoyed every second of it.

Over the top acting. Over the top action. Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Dwayne The Rock Johnson exchanges of wit and testosterone were outstanding and worth the price of admission.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.