Rocky Horror Picture Show (Let's Do The Time Warp Again).

3,001 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Jasomania
KeithDBsSock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Okay, watched the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" remake last night, and I have to say it just didn't do it. The biggest failing falls on Laverne Cox for a portrayal of Dr. Frank-N-Furter that was just awful. She's not Tim Curry no matter how hard she tries to be, and she tried way too hard.

Speaking of which Curry did appear as the narrator and was also surprisingly awful. It was so bad that I went looking for an explanation and discovered he had a stroke a few years ago that has left him wheelchair bound. So there is at least an explanation, and I feel bad for saying it, but I think they should have left him out. Watching him was a "Weekend at Bernies" type experience similar to watching Dick Clark's last few years of hosting New Year's Eve, it was really was that awkward.

Brad and Janet were okay, though Victoria Justice's singing was not nearly as good as Susan Sarandon's.

Overall, I think the classic should have been left alone.
Clavell
AG
Didn't even see it was on until about 15 minutes left. Guess that was a good thing.
Sex Panther
AG
I'd probably watch just cuz Victoria Justice is so hot

Al Bula
AG
Laverne Cox isn't even good on Orange Is The New Black. Trannies trigger the Uncanny Valley effect for me. You know something isn't right about them in the back of your mind.
SeattleAgJr
you want even worse. Youtube the version from Glee from a few years back.

The "thing" playing Dr. Frank n Furter in that episode should never be allowed in fishnet stockings ever again.
chipotle
I found out last week about curry's condition. Sad.
Tanya 93
I kinda like it in spots.

But I did play Columbia in a couple of productions. So I think I am kinda biased in how they had to tone it down. I do agree Laverne Cox just didn't do it.

Adam Lambert however, put his mark on Hot Patootie. That was freaking awesome. And the sexual tension between Riff-Raff and Magenta wasn't there. That is such huge part of the original production.

Which is weird, because I didn't like the Grease revamping very much at all. I was Frenchie in that. If you have ever heard me speak, you know I born for that role..
KeithDBsSock
Tanya, didn't know you were a fellow Thespian.
superunknown
AG
Tanya 93 said:

I was Frenchie in that. If you have ever heard me speak, you know I born for that role..
Tanya 93
superunknown said:

Tanya 93 said:

I was Frenchie in that. If you have ever heard me speak, you know I born for that role..

Let's be real. It was perfect for me.
SeattleAgJr
Velvet Jones
AG
Quote:

I didn't like the Grease revamping very much at all.

Wait, what?

Are you talking about Grease Live? Because that was awesome, perhaps even epic.
Tanya 93
MiniShrike said:

Quote:

I didn't like the Grease revamping very much at all.

Wait, what?

Are you talking about Grease Live? Because that was awesome, perhaps even epic.

I just didn't like it.

But my Brad in the production I was in, emailed me to ask if I had been a part of the production because Columbia's hair was exactly like mine and I would wear Mickey mouse ears or fairy wings as it amused me.

But Mini, the movie is awesome but the beauty of musical theatre is it isn't like film. And I just didn't like they copy frame for frame the movie.

However, I loved the chick playing Russo.
Duncan Idaho
The reason the movie was popular was because it was so bad and when you add in the props that made the midnight showings so much fun, you have something that can't be done on tv. I'd be surprised if more than 5 people in the country put a newspaper over their head and squirted water pistols in the air while sitting on their couch.

Curry worked as the doctor because he was so horrible in drag.
Jasomania
AG
I don't think it was horrible but it felt really unnecessary. Big parts of it were almost shot for shot exactly like the movie, which if you aren't going to change anything why bother? Also i really didn't like the cuts to the "audience" that were doing the things they do when you go see it in the movie theater.

I think the biggest reason this flopped was cause it wasn't live. They treated it like a stage play and most of the time the cameras were stationary and you saw a wide shot of everyone instead of using more single camera close ups. Which overall gave it this cheap look bordering soap opera territory. I can forgive that in the Peter Pan / The Wiz / Grease Live (though grease live was incredible on the camera work) but not for something that isn't actually live.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.