Best movie you've seen that no one has ever heard of?

26,410 Views | 236 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Thunder18
HarveyBirdman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is the best under the radar/non-blockbuster type movie that no one has ever heard of or seen? Any genre

My choices (in no particular order):

The Edukators
Whiplash
State and Main
Tennis Anyone?
Reign Over Me
50/50

ATM9000
AG
50/50 and whiplash were definitely not under the radar movies that nobody has ever heard of.
HarveyBirdman
AG
Ok, more popular than I realize maybe. Not a hipster so I'm not totally up to date on underground film scene. But I would say they definitely were not block busters
Zip 88
Bottle Rockets
FNG
Amelie
Wicked Good Ag
Greater
Professor Frick
AG
I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but for all you Veep fans, you've got to see In the Loop. It's pure Ianucci, just 2 hours of the best of what makes Veep hilarious (but no JLD unfortunately).
The Debt
Conspiracy is one that most don't know.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Closure... coming to netflix in 2017
Sex Panther
AG
Off the top of my head, A Prophet
Humorous Username
AG
Probably the least-viewed thing I've see (that was good) was Bottle Shock.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I don't think these are necessarily unheard of, but Richard Linklater's "Before" trilogy is absolutely phenomenal.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
VanZandt92
ATM9000 said:

50/50 and whiplash were definitely not under the radar movies that nobody has ever heard of.

I never heard of either.
Sex Panther
AG
Sure you hadn't
UnderoosAg
AG
SLC Punk
Teacher_Ag
AG
Love Liza. Philip Seymour Hoffman, directed by his brother. It's sad to watch now because his character is an addict...I always thought PSH really nailed the role and now it makes sense why. Really sad movie but with some funny parts and I love the soundtrack. Unique flick.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I really enjoyed Eye in the Sky last year.
TexasAggies06
AG
Teacher_Ag said:

Love Liza. Philip Seymour Hoffman, directed by his brother. It's sad to watch now because his character is an addict...I always thought PSH really nailed the role and now it makes sense why. Really sad movie but with some funny parts and I love the soundtrack. Unique flick.
Came here to post this
TexasAggies06
AG
One of my favorite moments from Love Liza

Damn I miss that guy...
captkirk
AG
Chopper
FAST FRED
AG
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060955/

A 1966 John Frankenheimer flic with Rock Hudson.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116905/

From 1996, written and directed by John Sayles and featuring Chris Cooper, Elizabeth Pena, Kris Kristofferson, Matthew McConaughey and Frances McDormand.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446755/

A 2006 movie, starring Edward Norton and Naomi Watts.

Check 'em out.

BTHO Alabama.
Gig 'em, FAST FRED, '65.

Before the world wide web, village idiots usually stayed in their own village.
TCTTS
AG
Professor Frick
AG
Rare Fred sighting! Good to see you still post, this board is often in need of your sage tempered wisdom and healthy penchant for T&A.
Professor Frick
AG
I forgot about that movie, but I remember liking it. McDormand is always great.
Professor Frick
AG
Teacher_Ag said:

That was the one where he huffed gasoline? If that's the one I'm thinking of, it's brutal (very good but wrecks you)
TCTTS
AG
One of my favorites of the last decade. So good. Also peak Kate Beckinsale hotness.
TCTTS
AG
May have to watch both of those now.
Gomer95
AG
I just watched that Arnold Schwarnegger movie "Maggie" on Amazon Prime last night and it was really good I thought. It's about his daughter slowly turning into a zombie in a zombie apocalypse but totally not what you would think with Arnold + zombies. Very different for him and he did well.
AGinHI
AG
Last of the Dogmen

Don't look it up, avoid reading anything about it

Just watch it without knowing anything about it
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
It seems like any time I bring up Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang nobody has heard of it.

Another RDJ movie that I feel is pretty obscure is Charlie Bartlett.
Old School Rucking
AG
Valhalla Rising
Corporal Punishment
AG
The Lives of Others
Citizen X

Is Murder By Death a valid nomination? Very funny.
Corporal Punishment
AG
TCTTS said:

One of my favorites of the last decade. So good. Also peak Kate Beckinsale hotness.

This. Really the only reason to watch this. Dammit she's freaking hot.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Comedy: Lone Start State of Mind
Honorable mention comedy: Happy Texas

Horror/creepy: The Devil's Backbone (early Guillermo del Toro flick, all subtitles)
Honorable mention in the horror/creepy: The Night Watch (based on book trilogy, russian, subtitles). Great trilogy of books too. i think he wrote a 4th to try to capitalize on the series.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Fandango

Really under the radar early 80s (but set in the 70s) college road trip movie. Had young Kevin Costner and Judd Nelson before they were stars. Tremendous 70s soundtrack. Vietnam war hanging over their young lives. Last blast road trip.

Think of it as a kind of a Linklater movie. It has that kind of vibe but smaller cast.

Perfect Texas feel. Yes it briefly involves tu but nothing really about the school. They depart from there across west Texas on a road trip to Marfa and big Bend area and the set of Giant for example.

Perfect college road trip movie. It has a small and devoted cult following including a group that gets together and follows the path in west Texas every few years.

The soundtrack was never released. Too bad. I have collected all the tracks myself in a playlist and burned to CD. It includes elton John, cream, steppenwolf, Carole king and also jazz like pat methany and Keith Jarrett and tejano like los lobos and some classical too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.